1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drafting with analytics

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by malakas, May 27, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Draftexpress posted a very interesting article ranking the 2015 only NCAA prospects based on 5 different models. Now we know that the Rockets are the team that utilises analytics the most in the league and they use them to draft as well.
    Here is the link : http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Analytics-Models-and-the-NBA-Draft-5021/

and here is the "final" order of the top 10:
    Russel
    Okafor
    Towns
    Winslow
    Johnson
    Looney
    Turner
    Jones
    Wright
    Kaminsky

A lot of players scoring high on the analytics models will be available at the Houston pick like Jones, Looney, Portis. Knowing how much Morrey value the analytics I would be suprised if the Rockets don't draft one of these prospects that score high on the models.
    Looney scores higher than his projected drafting spot in all of the models. Jones is top 10 in all of them as well. So maybe in the end for Morrey it will be between these two prospects. Looney or Jones. Both at positions of need for the Rockets.

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

Ha! You posted this as I was drafting my post.

Yes, Looney, Jones & Delon Wright are all ranked high in analytics, but much lower by scouts.

3. malakas

malakas Member

yes lol :grin: definitely a very interesting article. It is very rare for us the fans to have such an opportunity to glimpse at the analytics process behind scouting prospects.
    Personally I really don't like the model that takes into account the high school stats. Highly touted high school players have often failed miserably both in college and in the pros.