1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DownToBuck YouTube Channel taken down

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swiss Roll, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The NBA didn't shut it down tho, an entity called "ESPN India" did.

The NBA is relatively lenient on highlight channels, because the money made on those videos goes to them anyways. That hasn't stopped far bigger fish, like Dawkins and Ximo Pierto from getting their channels taken down tho, but neither of those were taken down by the NBA.

TMac'n likes this.
  2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If the footage was taken from ESPN, then they absolutely have the right to have it shut down. I use the term NBA in my post because it is the main entity involved, but the broadcast channels are also included in the term copyright holder for the purposes of this discussion.

Either way, legally ESPN/TNT/NBA hold the copyright over those broadcasts and just because one person was singled out and others weren't doesn't change the legality of posting NBA footage on youtube.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Explain what you mean by that. There are several ways to make money on YT channels. I also think you are seriously under-representing their clicks. I routinely get >10k views just by posting single plays here. DownToBuck is routinely well over 100k, and million is not out of the question on some.

Plus the sheer volume of vids and how quick they release, under intense competition from China and Russia teams just mark me down as that is a team of editors.

Hey, there is no shame in making money and being a team of editors. I think your are glorifying the situation by saying it is one person doing it totally for free, although I don't think it's necessary. I'd be just as pissed if any of the China or Russia channels were taken down due just to ESPN complaining. I am 100% behind the team and also here to say that NBA is very friendly, and they surely allow these highlights, and that this is ESPN.

You could be right about one person doing it for free. But I don't want to sidetrack your main point here, that shutting it down sucks, especially since the NBA allows it.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, that's all true. But the NBA clearly allows it, unlike MLB and NFL. And they clearly have convinced ESPN US to not complain, since I don't think it's happened before until ESPN India complained. The NBA seems to embrace and understand the value of these highlights spreading to fans globally to increase their global interest.

I'm pretty sure anything you did with the Rockets during the Yao/TMac era wrt Highlights would have been allowed.

da_juice likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How can you get money form Youtube if you don't have ads on your video? Youtube doesn't pay just because your vids are cool.

6. omgTHEpotential

****, it was an awesome channel, featuring fringe players. Motiejunas used to be an All-Star on that channel.

7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The videos could easily have been done by a team of editors. I just stated that the descriptions all looked to be done by one person.

And I know that some of the videos have hundreds of thousands of views, such as Devin Booker's 70 point game or Nikola Jokic's 40 point game against the knicks. The MEDIAN of the videos only seem to gather 1500-3000 views. There is no reason to make these videos from a cost to potential income standpoint. I have no idea where "routinely over 100k" comes from outside of Nikola Jokic.

I think what happened was that the NBA has an agreement with the likes of ESPN and TNT to not go after videos that publicize NBA content, but ESPN India is technically another entity by itself and disney is using it as an attack dog to "clean" the internet of all disney broadcasts.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Lol YouTube absolutely pays you if your videos are cool enough to reach a certain popularity threshold.

da_juice and Jayzers_100 like this.
  9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know for sure, but I don't think he was making money. There are more and more people doing this though, and posting them almost immediately after games ("All of Harden's 42-point game highlights! SiCck!"), so I really don't know.

But when you post an NBA clip on YouTube, an entity called "BroadbandTV NBA account" claims ownership and you can't monetize it with ads. However, ads do display after they claim ownership so I assume THEY (the NBA) are making money on the ads. Maybe they monetize those videos and hope to make money on the flood of traffic initially before the NBA claims it as theirs (and I'm sure this is an automated process), but I have no clue how that works.

I wish YouTube had a way to restore those accounts. I lost my first one with 100-200 good Rockets videos lost. The funny thing is I think what got me in trouble was posting an old 1986 local news video that had a collage of Rockets footage set to Mike & The Mechanics "All I need is a miracle". Months later, they put a strike on that.

da_juice likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not if your videos aren't monetized.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

bballbreakdown/Coach Nick spends a TON of time on videos with NBA footage... and pushes heavily on social media for those videos to be viewed. So I assume there are some people making money out there off of NBA footage.

12. BigMaloe

His account had to be monetized no? There were still initial YouTube ads before he video began correct?

Jeez now I can’t remember if the ads came on prior to video playing on any of his recaps.

I’ve watched so many YouTube videos and highlights I can’t decipher when and when not ads start before the video.

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I believe you still receive money because even if ads don't appear, you are directing viewers to their website by providing a hot commodity. YouTube greatly appreciates this

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

$1 per 1,000 views if I'm not mistaken (if they post a high volume of popular content)

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

If ESPN or whatever broadcaster has an issue with using their footage (understandably), why don't the uploaders just use NBATV footage, since the league itself has no problem with it?

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

From downToBuckYT
    So yea they're not making money. Any monetization as clutch says, the NBA claims the video and they turn on the ads if the video has ads. The only way they make ads is by having those in the video commercials like BoingVert

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

Great find.

18. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

That might become the norm soon enough, except for blackout games, even then TNT didn't give him any ****. Most local broadcastings seemed save enough from retaliation.

Getting games off of ESPN/ABC though? Thats a bit more tricky.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

just some two cents. Twitter banned some accounts, including the university of Texas’s football twitter account. This was during the signing period. It was due to highlight packages of players using music that they didn’t get permission for.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

highlights should be banned forever ppl need to learn to watch the actual games