1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Double Amputee Runner Not Allowed to Compete in Because He Has "Unfair Advantage"

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by hotballa, Jul 16, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

not sure how i feel about this

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=2938043

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I guarantee that if he hits that time (46.3) he will be allowed in the Olympics.

You can't stop the power of Cheetah legs. ;)

[​IMG]

3. hotballa

where he'll get speared by a javelin as part of a wide-reaching IAAF conspiracy against handciapped folks.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

he's like half robot! or half shoe. whatever. maybe half spring.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

honestly, i hate to say that i do think that with those attachments he has an unfair advantage - they are like giant springs.

you have to respect what he is doing, but i just dont think that it makes for a level playing field.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If there is a real advantage, I wonder if we'll be seeing able-bodied runners amputating themselves in preparation of competition.

7. hotballa

i mean I understand what they tallking about with wind resistance and what not, so why not just make him wear a backpackl opr something like they do in horse racing?

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Those things are bad ass!! Where's my chainsaw??

9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

You can use those scissors of yours.

10. Cesar^Geronimo

I'm a big advocate of the rights of people with disabilities (and I back that up with my time and money) and I want to pull for him also -- but it does seem like an unfair advantage.

11. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

So do more research and develop a set that provides comparable air resistance.... geez

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I remember in the 6 million dollar man
    they talked about how Steve Austin could run longer
    because he did not have to worry about supplying energy to
    his legs and one arm.
    But that was a TV Show from the 70s

However .. . If this is ok . .what happens when you have
    REAL Bionic Legs? will it be illegal like Steriods?

Rocket River

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I heard about this story yesterday on a FOX Sports radio affiliate, where the host actually suggested that his concern was that the Chinese Government would hack off the legs of their athletes to give them an unfair advantage, then the co-host presented her fears of "Bionic Olympics" in the future...

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I think the problem is what do you do when technology has outstripped the human body?

It sucks to lose your legs but if the replacement makes you faster then I think it should be outlawed. For instance you see wheelchair atheletes compete in marathons. The wheelchairs are much faster than people running on their feet so wheelchair times aren't counted with the rest of the marathoners.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm a recently retired Division I track sprinter that ran the 400 as well and this kid completely crushed my personal best times.

Running the 400 is the most physically demanding thing I have ever done. It's not some short, quick sprint. It's a full lap around a regular sized track consisting of nothing but all out sprinting. It's not fair if this kid's body isn't exerting the kind of energy that everybody else's is. There's really no such thing as a 400 runner that runs the strongest part of his race in the last 100 meters.

I can't help but to think that those springs give him some sort of competitive advantage. Track & Field rules are so intricate regarding disqualifications. I've seen runners DQ'd before because they took one step into somebody else's lane. I've seen sprinters get tossed out of championship races for false starts whenever the official hesitated and caused it. I've heard of runners getting DQ'd for taking cold medicine the night before a race. It's a pretty ruthless business so it doesn't surprise me to hear of this news. A competitive advantage is a competitive advantage regardless if your black, white, pink, purple, crippled or whatever.

16. WWR

WWR Member

I would certainly fall down.

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

is it just me or is the article just saying they're still deciding whether or not he has an unfair advantage? hasn't been DQed yet...

18. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

this is why I never like athletics

19. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

To be fair, I've also heard it said that Anakin Skywalker was less powerful in the Force after he lost his limbs in Episode III because he had less limbs, which meant less blood, which meant less midichlorians.

So for this guy to overcome a midichlorian deficiency is impressive, I think.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

^ Darth Vader was taking artificial midichlorian supplements.