1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Donald Trump suggests DELAYING the election over claim it will be 'fraudulent'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

And so it begins...

• President Donald Trump on Thursday suggested delaying the November election until 'people can properly, securely and safely vote'
    • His pronouncement came after news U.S. economy had its worst quarter ever
    • U.S. economy shrank by 33% in April-June quarter
    • '2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???,' Trump tweeted
    • Trump does not have power to delay election, that takes an act of Congress

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...gests-DELAYING-election-claim-fraudulent.html

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He is right but delaying the election is not his decision. Stand down tRump

dachuda86 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No, he isn't right. No data suggests that mail in voting is fraudulent.

superfob, jboslett, DVauthrin and 6 others like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

But of course.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This is how trump gets away from the things he tweets, says and does... self-described "independent thinkers" saying "you know, he has a point", suggesting that there is even a small chance that what trump is communicating isn't completely false and in this case, a direct attack on our democratic process and the U.S. Constitution.

Imagine what would have been said if four years ago then President Obama looked at polling and said, "You know, there is a danger that Russians will try to influence the 2016 election, and so to protect our democracy, I will postpone the election (indefinitely) and remain as your President."

President Obama didn't say or even suggest such a thing (and for our good, the Constitution does not allow that). yet here we are... a desperate and unstable president, seeing internal polling showing he trails, and knowing the economic and COVID-19 reporting are really bad... so he distracts with insane talk about delaying the election.

And... his base simply nods their heads and says, "you know, he has a point..."

Patience, superfob, Xenon and 10 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Conservative commentator...

Patience and RayRay10 like this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If Trump delays the election, I promise to vote for Joe Biden.

9. NewRoxFan

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

not sure what legal or illegal or illegitimate route he has to delay an election BUT it should be pretty clear now that he will push for it. This is just one of many examples that lead at least some to believe that he may not accept the result and do whatever he think he can to stay in office — it’s not just a small chance anymore given his behaviors. Even if he’s not successful, he could tear this country apart.

11. NewRoxFan

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which part is he right about?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m not worried about Trump. I’m worried about Trumper state officials like here in Texas acting in his interest to shut down as many polls as they can, throwing out massive amounts of votes (see mail in votes), and refuse to certify the election to try and kick the vote to the House of Representatives where they have a state majority.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

There are more issues that will make this election fraudulent so dont dismiss my statement so quickly. Pay attention to the voices that get censored and how the mainstream media reports on this election. Not all people can see through the BS like yours truly so votes will be affected. I am not complaining because it is what it is.
    I think each election gets worse. I think 2012 and 2016 had issues and I think 2020 will have more. This doesnt have to be because i am a trump supporter. I get it, you think trump supporters are dumb.

15. NewRoxFan

Which makes this question that trump's personal lawyer refused to answer all the more important... its been discussed with trump's cabinet.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I ask this question every time to conservative posters and none of y'all can answer me: if mail-in voting is so inherently dangerous, why have Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Utah and Colorado never reported any meaningful instances of fraud or altered election results in the decades they've been conducting their elections via mail?

17. NewRoxFan

Not dumb, corrupt. trump supporters will say or do anything to keep trump, and then after trump, republicans in power (though only those republicans that support trump). Just look at what you are suggesting and supporting... an unconstitutional delay in the election, simply to keep trump in office.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am not supporting that. Not many trump supporters are. You just have hate in your heart.

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

When Joe Biden suggested that Trump was going to say this, Trump's communications director said the following. I guess this aged quickly and terribly.

"Those are the incoherent, conspiracy theory ramblings of a lost candidate who is out of touch with reality," Tim Murtaugh, communications director for the Trump campaign, said in a statement Friday. "President Trump has been clear that the election will happen on November 3rd."

#19 geeimsobored, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are talking about things like voter suppression or mail in ballot? Or media suppression of voices (I don’t know how that translate to voter fraud). Or others things?

Things like voter suppression has been going on - it’s not fraudulent but more of legal cheating done by the Republican.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.