1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the NBA media want a competitive NBA? Or a scripted NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aroundtheblock2, Jun 20, 2018.

1. aroundtheblock2

When I hear statements like this it makes me wonder:

This is from a Ringer interview.

So in essence a championship in Boston, LA, or New York no matter what is greater than a title anywhere else?

Do they want to NBA to turn into a Harlem Globetrotters level show? Where the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks resemble the Globetrotters and everyone else is just the Washington Generals?

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The NBA has pretty much always been scripted. There is never a "wide open" year. More than any sport on the plant, you know how the NBA is gonna work out before the season starts. That being said, if Lebron wants to add to his legacy and win rings, there is only ONE team that will provide a guarantee for that, and that team is obvious. Nothing he will do at this point will tarnish his legacy: he has already ditched his hometown team, and nothing he does will ever be as terrible as what Kevin Durant did. He is in a no lose situation for the first time. Stay in Cleveland for loyalty, go to the Lakers for fun, go to Houston to win. Those are his only options

3. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Bill Simmons’ college buddy Joe House giving his opinion hardly qualifies as nba media. House also has a food podcast where he talks about eating until it’s hard to breath.

4. aroundtheblock2

Yeah but all know thats not far off from what most of the NBA media thinks anyways. A championship in Houston does not count as much as a championship in LA, Boston, or New York...to them.

5. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Whatever brings in money. That's what it has been, that's what it'll always be.

But for some reason all the old-heads want to see Boston, LA, or NY be successful like in the past. Like come on, its 2018 stop living in the past and lets move forward and see other franchises/teams have their success/moments.

Except the warriors. F the warriors.

#5 solodolo11, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. 92i

92i Member

Lol the NBA is as scripted as EA Sports FIFA, it is a **** show. After what happened in the WCF against GSW, I gave up on the NBA. I only come here as a reflex because I have been a member since 2008. Clutchfans is one of my go-to site and I still appreciate reading people’s opinion in here but I won’t waste a second of my life watching the NBA again.

Edit: In before that well..bye.gif

7. BackdoorHarden

NBA is scripted. They want superteams. The history of the league has always been superteam. NBA was NHL hockey only Celtics and Lakers in the 80's. Then Jordan carried it on. They didn't like the Superteam in the Spurs.

Then the league went through a real low after MJ retired and before LBJ. Remember the early 2000's NBA when no one could shoot? Scores were 70 to 80? No one wanted to watch that no skill crap.

5 teams have won pretty much all the Championship. They don't want those Pistons team with Billup and Ben Wallace winning, no one wants to watch that crap

Only 5 teams, the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs and Warriors have won more than 3 championships, totaling between them almost 70 percent of the titles.

BigggReddd likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

The epitome of a Lebron fan smh. Legacy already set? He JUST got through getting swept & essentially quit on his team while pouting on court. He's switched teams already twice & is going on his 3rd superteam. This summer will be the b**** move outta all b**** moves. If he wants to cement his legacy, he needs to stay in Cleveland and try to win a championship there before he retires

9. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I remember my friend in 6th grade insisting the NBA was fixed. It always goes seven games he said. Then the 'heart of a champion' speech happened and I'm like wow the NBA is for real beyond all doubt.

Then the next few years against the Jazz and Karl Malone's elbows in the playoffs and the NBA finals MJ farewell super obvious push against Bryon Russell to win the series and I'm like hmmm . . .

Then there is the Rockets Mavs series in 2005 playoffs and I'm pretty sure something bad is going on.

Tim Donaghey and I'm like oh s*** this is not good.

2008 game 4? against the Lakers. Refs are letting Kobe rough up World Peace and World Peace accidentally throws the cut throat motion trying to demonstrate what Kobe did and gets tossed. We could have won that series against the eventual champs . . . that was as hard of loss as any and I'm like darn I guess the league doesn't want this and I'm like WTF this was it we got robbed by refs and injury

I keep watching year after year game after game. Please Commissioner get things under control. NBA is a great game but I'm not sure we're even playing NBA basketball anymore.

cheke64 and Naismith like this.
  10. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Yeah I remember 2002 east playoffs where a game ended 66-64. That’s a halftime score now. Who could forget that god aweful pistons/pacers 2004 series were it was like 70s to 60s every game. That sucked and yet some ppl are nostalgic for that era because they hate 3 pointers.

If the nba has to rig things or facilitate superteams so we don’t have to see that 1998-2004 era again, I fully support that.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I’m the opposite of a Lebron fan actually. My point was that he has already ****ed up his legacy to a point that he can’t make it any worse, no matter what his decision is now, it’ll never be worse than him leaving Cleveland he first time. And Kevin Durant outbitched him so hard that there is no scenario where he looks as bad as KD unless he somehow ends up on the warriors

12. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

“The NBA Media” is a complicated bunch but I don’t think they want the league to be scripted. It’s just a lot of them have certain views that cloud their reporting.

There is a group of them, what I would call the “historians” (for instance Simmons, Termine, Bob Ryan, etc.) who are wanting the classic franchises to return to dominance. As a result this may cause them to lose sight into the extreme lack of parity the league has developed over the years (for good or for ill). Many former players turned analysts fall into this category as well.

There are the “stat geeks” (entire 538, several members of the Ringer not including Simmons, Lowe) that are wanting for analytics to rule the land and are less inclined to care what team gets it (outside of their immediate team biases).

There are of course media members that are completely biased to one team or another (either outright fans, members of the team’s media, or just credentialed insiders) whom can highly waver in the bias meter.

And there is ESPN, the world wide leader in east and west coast bias.

I say all of this to just speculate that the media typically wants what sells. The large markets are mostly situated to the east and west coast so when large conglomerates like ESPN want the highest ratings they will focus on those markets. I think some writers/tv analysts/radio heads can be relatively neutral if talking about NBA teams off record, but they are going to be pulled to whatever gets the most news coverage. And the loudest mouths usually get the most play.

13. Garner

Garner Member

Stop getting your feelings hurt so easily.

Holy ****....it’s house. Who cares?

rocketman12 likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

15. TheresTheDagger

After game 7 of the WCF, there are MANY who agree with you wholeheartedly.

92i likes this.
  16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Well since the only way to script the NBA is for Adam Sliver to tell the refs to screw teams over and deny certain trade deals. So yes it is scripted. What the media say doesn't matter and has no effect on Adam Silver's script.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bron winning a championship with an organization like the Knicks would definitely have more impact than a title won with an organization like the Rockets, that’s not debateable

if Silver wants a more competitive league, then he’ll be pushing for Lebron to go LA and hoping that Kawhi and PG end up going there too...he’d definitely prefer that over Bron going to Houston...that way next year would feature 4 great teams in the Warriors, Celtics, Rockets, and Lakers with 2 of the most storied franchises in the NBA (Celtics and Lakers) being great at the same time

18. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

That’s what I said. House just gave his opinion. He a DC fan and also has a segment called House Eats where he sees if he can outeat everyone in a restaurant. Somehow his comment was cherry picked to represent nba media.

19. StevieCrossover

The big cities pays the bills.

20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lebron jame is the greatest player ever.

Market size is overrated, his most valuable chip will always be the cleveland one.