1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the fake punt mean future aggression by Kubiak?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grinds, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Grinds

Grinds Member

Yes
    No
    Too early to tell

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Too early to tell. I'll take it though.

3. Grinds

Grinds Member

Was supposed to be a poll.

Kubiak still did his classic throw 5+ yards short of 1st then yac.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kubiak turned into Sean Payton for one game :grin:

5. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Kubiak didn't call for the fake punt. That was all Keo. As the protector he has the option to call for a fake. Keo knew he could get that half yard so he yelled the magic word and took the direct snap for a first down.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, Keo disobeyed the head coach?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm scared when you have a team that allows a mediocre safety to potentially decide games. (Texans wouldn't have lost with a punt, but would have lost with a failed fake punt).

Not buying it. Maybe he could have called it off, but that call has to come from somewhere besides Keo.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I find it very hard to believe that he'd do that.

9. smr6

smr6 Member

I was joking with my girlfriend after that play when Kubiak was walking up the sideline. I said he's trying to find the guy who called that play so he can yell at him.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was unaware that Gary Kubiak had been signed and was playing quarterback for the Texans last night.

No one...not Kubiak or Schaub or Rick Dennison...called for that particular play to be a 2 yd pass to Graham. Watch it again. He was clearly looking down field and, when pressured, had to get something positive out of the play for the sake of field position. There was still a lot of time left in the game and the defense was playing well. The goal was to get a first down. When it wasn't there, the goal became to not have a negative play and win the field position battle. They did just that and, low and behold, it worked.

I haven't played the game of football beyond Jr. High and I know what he was doing. I'm not sure why it's so hard for any of you to understand what happened on that play.

1 person likes this.
  11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes. It means FUTURE AGGRESSIVE coaching.

:cool:

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He did it. Keo knew what needed to be done.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. People are always complaining when the Texans throw short of the first down marker, but the other team knows where the first down marker is also and they load up that zone with defenders. All NFL teams throw short of the first down marker on a regular basis, it's not just the Texans. Furthermore, Kubiak does have Schaub throw beyond the first down marker frequently, but that's not what the fans seem to remember. Sometimes you have to take what the other team gives you and then try to make something out of it. I thought the play calling was good last night.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It was just inches and the Chargers didn't stack over the Center. We should always have the option to read it and call it on the field.
    Look at the defensive set up, I could have made it:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000241746/Those-tricky-Texans

The odd calls for me were the other two 3rd/4th and shorts where we ran the stretch play instead of a quick hitter. On short yardage it seems it lets the defenders over commit to penetration.
    ( the bootleg off of it though will get us touchdown sometime this season)

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

16. Grinds

Grinds Member

Quarterback is an extension of the head ______.

17. Grinds

Grinds Member

We seem to do it more than others.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

This is why Kubiak is still the head coach because everyone thought he was going to punt from all those calls he made in previous years. Not only was he aggressive in that call, he also called a late in the 4th quarter pass play to get a 1st down to Andre which basically ran the clock out for the Chargers. Like Kube has said, "Bob ain't going to give me 14 (Texans) banquets," referring to John Elway's years with Broncos. This is a break year for Kube, if he doesn't go to the playoffs.

19. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Keo was interviewed after the game and he said that as he was walking on the field for the punt, Marciano told him the option was on. Keo thought he could get the first down so he called for the fake.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I saw that interview and was surprised. I was disappointed that Kubiak wasn't the one who made the call to go for it. At least Marciano is earning his money, right? At least Keo isn't all knucklehead.