1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone here have any experience with "Air Alert" for increased vertical?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Please don't mention squats, cleans, etc as an alternative. I already know about those.

This is in regards to the program "Air Alert" . Quite a few amount of people on different forums have said that it has worked, just want to ask on here.

2. peterrkim

peterrkim Contributing Member

i did it in high school more than 10 years ago, 2003ish. It worked wonders for my one footed jumping. I didn't even finish it because i got hurt but if i remember correctly i had about 3 weeks left.

I could not touch the rim at all standing 6 foot tall, 155 lbs ish before i started. when i got really amped up during warm-ups, the highest jumping off one foot was a solid 8-9 inches above the rim.

when you get towards the end of the schedule, it takes an hour plus to complete and was really great cardio. but be wary of your knees. i don't know how old you are or what kind of shape you're in, but be mindful of how hard you land and if you're doing it on concrete and such. also rest days are important for you so don't do extra, there's a reason they are there

the first month or 2 were generally easy for me, but the last 2 months is where you start to push yourself. commit but don't be disappointed with results. jumping is also a lot of technique and timing, which is why power cleans and squats are helpful

3. gah

gah Member

You mean there's a chance for any average weight 6 footer?

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

This is exactly what I wanted to read, thank you very much. So if you were that much above the rim, then surely you were able to dunk pretty comfortably right?

I can't palm a ball, so I'm guessing my arms will need to be like 6 inches above the rim in order to dunk?

And as for the knee issue, I would be doing this on an outdoor basketball court since I'd have nowhere else. Would it be better to do it on grass then?

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Meant my hand, not arms.

6. peterrkim

theres hope for us all

7. peterrkim

i wouldn't say comfortably, i also could not palm the ball. a volleyball was easy. also this was during warmups before a game, so i used to get pretty stoked then. 6 inches above the rim you'd have to get pretty accurate to dunking.

the knee stuff, what i mean is be light on your feet. it may seem like common sense but when you're out there doing it for like an hour, your legs get heavy and you just want it over with. don't slam down on your feet basically. it may amount to nothing, but just a forewarning

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I haven't personally used it... but with a lot of the negative reviews I've read I'd be skeptical... I'm not sure if version makes a difference but reviews are skewed between it working and ****ing your knees up. I mean if you're in bball shape probably go for it, but just watch the knees like peterrkim stated. I was lucky when I was playing... Didn't need a lot of vertical to dunk/block... but vertical gain is always nice.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

How exactly does it mess your knees up? Like sore knees or like major injury?

10. peterrkim

mostly knee tendonitus. you seem young, but once you get older your knees just start to hurt after playing, waking up and stuff like that. you may never get it, but it's possible if you do air alert wrecklessly

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

But I can fight that off by landing softly you said, right? I haven't read the program in depth yet, but I thought there was an exercise where you're supposed to "explode" so how do you land softly after that? I am young - in my early 20's, so I am a bit worried about the knee issues that can arise. I just really wanna dunk by the summer.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

From what I saw on bodybuilding forum and some Amazon reviews (again I'm not saying for sure if legitimate), they were claiming major injury... But obviously with reviewers have to take it with a grain of salt, I mean if they're unathletic or something it might not be related to product etc. Some stuff I saw said to Google Air Alert and knee injury, I did come across some younger guy claiming he wouldn't risk his bball game for it, but again I don't know if it's legit. I'd think injury would occur if you're gaining vertical and weren't athletic in how you land or something, or going straight to vertical training before getting in shape (again, though I don't know for sure).

Also on dunking... For me minimal was just above wrist but I could palm off the dribble but higher was always preferred if doing in a game setting... Unfortunately I didn't take bball too serious and hs was it for me. I'm 6'6" but hey at least I could dunk 2 handed... Back in 99.... Oh the days... I'm old now @ 34, was considering trying to get back in ball shape, but ****ing had freak accident of ankle dislocation in pickup game.

Anyway back on topic, I hope you get above the rim, it's worth it, everyone who says otherwise has never been above it.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I mean wrist just above rim *

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

These should help:

[​IMG]

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't recommend them. High compact with minimal strength gain. How tall are you and weight?

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Plyometrics, box jumps, jump squats.

17. Asian Sensation

Wanna jump higher? Keep jumping. That and calf raises.

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

6'1, 183 lbs, but I'm going to start my cut and will go down to 170 ish.

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

If I don't want the risks involved with Air Alert - is there a similar program that does similar exercises (that doesn't need a weight room) ?

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Consult with the resident Clutch fans professional basketball player -paulwtfk

He is sure to have some good tips