1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers signs a 5 year $50m contract with Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tenchi, Aug 27, 2014.

?

Is he worth it?

1. Yes

17.0%
  2. No

83.0%
  1. DREAMsTeam

DREAMsTeam Member

Mark my words --- Ballmer is going to out-Cubano Cubes with his megalomaniac craziness ----- would love to see him in red-white-and-blue sumo undies going up against crazy Russian owner ;-)

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, according to rumors, that's the same value Mchale has.

3. Major

Major Member

If the owner doesn't care about money, then it's irrelevant.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That's a lot of money for an overrated coach

5. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

dude just paid 2 billion for the team
    50 million is just pocket change for him

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Anything is possible, but i doubt Rivers is going to "lose the players" anytime soon, as no matter what you or I may think of him, he is well known to be one of the most respected coaches in the league.

As for Balmer deciding to keep Rivers because of his 50 million 5 year contract or whatever is left of it, again, anything is possible. But I doubt the man who paid 2 Billion for the clippers is going to keep Rivers in the even he loses all his players, especially when you take into account far less wealthy owners have eaten/amnesty much larger player contracts.

7. Awesome

Awesome Member

How much is Fisher making again?

8. torocan

torocan Member

Lol. The idea that you think that a guy who just paid a $400M premium to buy a NBA team for $2B in CASH would even blink at eating $10M/year for a few years if he thought it was the right choice makes me laugh.

Ballmer is Billionaire with a capital 'B'. As in 5-10x wealthier than some of the other owners in the NBA. If the Clippers value went down to ZERO it would represent only a 10% drop in his total net worth.

Ballmer could pay Doc out of pocket, wipe his butt with the pay check, and still bank BILLIONS in interest and revenue alone off his other Assets.

5% of $20Bn = $1Bn. If he's earning 5% on his wealth he can eat the entire Clippers operating budget and still take home hundreds of millions of dollars, to burn on his already monstrous pile of money.

If Ballmer doesn't want to pay someone it would be because he's cheap, not because it's expensive for him. And given that he just paid $2B for the Clippers, I highly doubt that he's going to try and nickel and dime the team over Docs' salary. :grin:

9. what

what Member

See what popularity gets you. The guy is no better than vinny del negro and he won't take that team anywhere near the wcf.

popularity is a b****

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Players see through the Rockets lies. They know Morey controls everything and will treat them like assets no matter what McHale wants.

1 person likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rovers and Darol Moroyn?

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Problem is that Russian Owner is a massive 6'8+ and knows alot of Zangief moves.

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

for the first time in CF history i agree with " what "

14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Yeah. I understand why it worked back in the 80s and stuff but these days it seems like most NBA franchises can afford their own arena. The NFL can definitely afford their own stadiums especially when they are making performers pay to play the halftime show at the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile taxpayer dollars go to mediocre coaches like Doc Rivers. At least its California money.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think the move is largely based on Balmer wanting Doc to show him the ropes when it comes to running an NBA team. He clearly values Doc's opinion on all things basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if Doc either becomes GM/coach or moves to the GM position full time in the next few years.

16. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

50M? I mean, Doc is a great coach. But not that much.

17. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

he is also the senior vice-president of basketball operations if I am not mistaken... he is basically the GM and the coach. He gets ring chasing players to join them and sign for lower than market value. Having that sort of advantage can't be understated... If they can remain amongst the top 3 teams in the NBA, and he can continue to attract free agents at lower salaries (ie. what lebron does), I see him as worth every penny of that contract.

18. spysta

spysta Member

Dont really know why everybody thinks Doc Rivers is overrated, only a handful of coaches out there have a Championship under their belt.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tell me why he wasn't a championship coach until he got Garnett, Ray Allen and Rondo?

How come he sucked before then?

20. cbk41

cbk41 Member

But who will run his practice if he's locked up into coaching? :confused: