1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Dallas Keuchel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dude's been garbage

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

I trust Dallas like I trust Robert Giles.

[​IMG]

Tomstro, Snow Villiers and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's pitching his way out of a possible playoff start as well as costing himself millions in future earning potential.

At this rate, he may be just a bad enough pitcher for the Astros to end up signing on the cheap... and instant Brent Strom reclamation project!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I hate to see us run him out there to lose 25 games with McHugh and Peacock never getting a chance.

Tomstro, Hank McDowell and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're acting like neither of two guys has ever gotten a chance to start before.

Even as crappy as Dallas has been this year, prior to today's start his numbers this year were better than either of those guys' career numbers.

bigdaddy likes this.
  7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Not buying that tweet. Verlander was traded with a bad era. Keuchel still has pedigree. I’m sure some team will be willing to take a shot on him near the deadline.

Who knows though. Maybe not.

Anyway keuchel has looked bad for a long time now. Aside from a couple of games in the postseason last year.

8. fiersdownbelow

I wanna hear that douchebag on 790 defend Keuchel again and talk to the callers like they're stupid.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm not an expert in pitching so if someone with more nuance on the subject matter can state if my overall feel of him is somewhere on the ballpark of accurate that would be great.

I think out of all recent ace pitchers/Cy Young winners Dallas has the smallest margin of error as he relies more on ground outs instead of dominating stuff with high velocity like Verlander, Morton and Cole have.

10. Coach E

Coach E Member

Yeah it’s been a rough year so far, we still have more games ahead then behind us, hopefully he can salvage his season.

awc713 and raining threes like this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

He is pitching him self in to another team come this offseason.
    Sorry Boras you aren't wining this lotto from the Astros.
    Same goes for Marwin Gonzalez
    That's at least 2 comp picks

I would not be surprised to see Houston try and nab a SP at the deadline and run a 6 man rotation just for grins.
    Maybe shift Lance Mcullers Jr to the Closer roll and see what happens.
    Stroman or Archer might do wonders under Strom. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT

rockets1995 likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What team do you think would pony up big money for these 2, if they continue to play like they are now?

Also, to get a comp pick, the Astros need to give a qualifying offer. At this rate, both of these guys would accept that qualifying offer in a second.

CometsWin likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I trust him. His gb rate is down a bit and his hr rate is up a bit. His stuff is such that the location is critical. At the very least he could be our lefty out of the pen if we make the playoffs.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I've said it for awhile.
    Boston Red Sox will jump at Marwin Gonzalez.
    New York Yankees will jump at Dallas Keuchal.

Both those teams will pay the money.
    Note I agree on all aspects but Houston will give both players a qualifying offer but it won't be what they want or Scott Boras standard of what he thinks they are worth

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When Dallas has a bad season it means his arm or shoulder is injured. He doesn't want to be put on the DL because because of the Scott Boras big Contract. No Team wants a Starting Pitcher with Durability issue, low 85 mph Fastball. When Keuchel is healthy 90-91 mph Fastball, Snap on his Curveball, Changeup

Houstunna likes this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Astros can't trade Keuchel because of the Lockerroom, The Players would get so mad. It would send a bad message that, We are not winning and Players might not even try even harder. It's better if he leaves and Astros get 2 draft picks. Scott Boras is the worst agent in baseball. Dallas Keuchel looks a lot like Kenny Rogers of the Range, same Face, Body Type. Keuchel pitches like Mike Hampton.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Marwin was a Red Sox Prospect and the bigger question is Keuchel girlfriend is from New York, and will he shave his beard with the Yankees, their Rule of No Facial Hair.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A lot depends on where those teams finish this year... but even then, if neither player turns it around, it would be very surprising for a team to offer a long-term contract to either, especially Keuchel.

We know what happened with contracts the last two off-seasons.. and that happened with players who were having far better years (and with more upside) than what these two have going for them.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A lot of it is that he is our #5, not our Cy Young ace this year. That said, his overall season is still probably better than many #5 guys on other teams. Id still rather have this years DK than last years Fiers.

Last nights game might have gone very differently had DK made that catch down 0-1 for the double play. The following 3 run homer would have never happened. Add to that Jake's SO with guys on 2nd and 3rd.

We only need 4 starters for the playoffs, so I dont see adding another starter unless someone else besides DK gets hurt. If DK is hiding an injury, that is on him.

#19 jim1961, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Xerobull and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros won’t trade Keuchel because that compensation pick the Astros will receive from wherever he signs is the type of spot where a Lance McCullers has been nabbed

I trust in him and he’s going through a bad stretch