1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Just a simple question and its not about building a wall. More if you feel comfortable the way things are or more needs to be done to make you feel comfortable. So back to the original question. Do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More border security is always a good thing. But the question becomes at what cost? I don't think the problem is terrible right now, so it wouldn't be a priority on which I would like the government to spend money. I would much rather invest in infrastructure, scientific research, education, national parks, cracking down on white collar crime, and even the space program.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No. I think we need to increase compliance with labor laws. Nobody will come across the border if they can't find work. Then you can focus on criminals along the border instead of families trying to find work.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

No we need to build bridges

pgabriel likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

...and increase compliance with labor laws so they will be discouraged from coming here. Its better to have them here not working and burdening our society than them actually working and doing jobs nobody else wants to do.

Building a physical barrier is just racist thought.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trumpanzee logic.

Never go full space ghost.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

As long as there is a demand (jobs) people will find ways to get here. Crackdown on illegal hirings. No point in coming if there aren't jobs.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Building a wall isn't racist. It's just stupid and ineffective, without addressing the underlying problem. But not surprising that you'd dismiss the one thing that's been shown to reduce and reverse illegal immigration in your quest to fight it.

9. droxford

droxford Member

Yes. We should do everything possible to tighten border security and reduce illegal immigration and trafficking. At any cost.

Wall: yes
    Crackdown on hiring illegal aliens: yes
    Increased border control police force: yes
    Improved technology for better control: yes
    Whatever it takes: yes

Granville likes this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Obviously we need to increase border security. Is that even a debatable point? First step is to gain control of the southern border and then create a path to citizenship for productive, law abiding immigrants that are here.

I also think we should do away with birth citizenship.

BruceAndre, jayhow92 and R0ckets03 like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

As for the wall nonsense...

Walls don't do much. What good would it do? It's costly, and there are plenty of methods to get around it. Ladders exists, grappling hooks, parachutes, gliders, stair trucks like below... even tunnels can be used. Hell, cannons can take out a wall. You can probably 3d print one at this point.

Just cut off free social services and make it easier for people to obtain valid work permission and you'll see a lot of the crossings stop.

[​IMG]

#11 dachuda86, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    BruceAndre and jayhow92 like this.
  12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just lower the quality of life in the U.S. so that it's equivalent to living in Mexico. Trump is on his way! What a tactician! So smert!

CometsWin, jayhow92 and R0ckets03 like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sure but it is 2017. Building a wall is maybe the least efficient way to cover thousands of miles of desert, mountains, rivers, and private property. Why it's not even a consideration to tackle new technology to help just shows how out of date and out of touch this White House and their voter base (that actually want a physical Wall) are.

I'd rather see RFP type of proposals from many tech and construction companies for their proposals for a border security investment plan and then let the us people have a look at how their money would be spent under said proposals. RFP's would have to require ROI metrics and detailed cost descriptions. Let's allow everyone to see what the best and brightest can do first before we just sign a check for 70 billion dollars worth of concrete and rebar.

So again it's 2017. Let's stop acting like it's 1817. Building an actual physical wall is the dumbest idea I could imaging if you asked me about illegal immigrants in the US.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No, we already have massive border security. Afraid people, please name some scary border security problems that scare you.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Of course the wall is a waste of money. Our government wastes a lot of money. I have never supported the wall.

Some of the hardest working people I've ran across are illegals. And again, doing jobs that Americans dont want to do. If anything bothers me, its the low wages they are paid, not the fact they are illegal. That said, I do not support an open border policy nor do I support deporting law abiding illegals. We do need to take our border security seriously.

What I find disgusting is when political parties play politics with these people. "Vote for me and I will give you amnesty and make you a citizen. Don't vote for me and I will crack down on businesses so you can't work". What kind of ****ed up blackmail logic is that?

BruceAndre, apollo33 and jayhow92 like this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Maybe Americans would do some of those jobs if the wages weren't depressed by illegal labor. But generally I agree that our government wastes money. The private market needs to be allowed to address the low wages naturally, but that hasn't happened and can't happen unless we stem illegal labor and allow the market to adjust. Who wants to pick fruit for example? Probably not a lot of people, even if the wage is high. So make valid work visas obtainable and make sure these companies are paying taxes on the labor and giving them good working conditions. As for some other jobs, the market needs to be allowed to adjust wages, but again that can't happen so long as you have cheap expendable labor from immigrants who came here illegally.

BruceAndre and cml750 like this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you enforce labor laws the jobs will just flow there

It is not an American right for Ford to keep jobs here

Those days ended thirty years ago

(This post isn't anti labor laws)

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We have to in the long run embrace partnerships like NAFTA

The problem with NAFTA is it worked very well

One of its goals was to help products flow from Mexico

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Tax'em.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kinda like now, except without doing anything.