1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do deities from other religions exist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by arno_ed, Jun 16, 2017.

?

Do deities from other religions exist?

1. No, they are made up by people

25.0%
  2. Yes, but they are not really gods

4.2%
  3. Yes, there are more gods than present in my religion

12.5%
  4. I do not believe that any god exist

58.3%
  1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Are you lying or are you just that grossly misinformed you poor kid.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Of all the major religions, Buddhism (at least most forms of it) is the only one without god. Gods (in India) was present, but a don't care and wasn't the solution to life suffering. I know some buddhist that think God does not exist. I also know some practicing buddhist that are Christian and Jews.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can start with your ideas about prophets. Some bigot lied to you about Islam and you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophets_and_messengers_in_Islam

Exiled likes this.
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

Are you serious? I admit the demon possessed part is opinion but do you want to deny the epileptic like seizures as he spoke and others recorded? Are you saying there is more than one Islamic prophet? Sadly, I think you may be the one who is grossly misinformed.

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

cml, by taking that perspective and saying Islam only has one prophet how many does Christianity have then (by using that logic). Hint** think about a Jewish individual speaking about Christianity. And the epileptic like seizure stuff sounds made up, I'm not an expert but find me a source (not a tertiary end of day's site)

Exiled likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

No FB, I actually studied Islam quite a bit and it wasn't from Wikipedia like you. I am actually astonished you posted that. Do you consider it a legitimate source now? They can claim anything before Mohammed but what makes Islam unique is Mohammed. Even the Wikipedia page you quoted states this. Have you ever actually studied what is in the Islamic text or just read Wikipedia and take it as fact? Do you just want to ignore all of the ugly parts of Islam or deny they are there? Do I need to quote them? They are the same ones used by jihadist to justify what they do.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Okay, you just admitted you didn't have a clue. Do a little research first. You can believe the "religion of peace" mantra all you want but please don't try to defend it before you study ALL of the actual text of the Quran and the actual history of Mohammed before you talk out of your butt on a forum.

Also, Christianity has EVERY single prophet of the Bible who backs it up.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

cml, I am going to be patient with you because as it is not just incredibly obvious to me (it is to everybody here) you don't know what you're talking about. To a jewish individual you only have one prophet (by your logic). That's what I was trying to get at. Muslims believe in the same prophets you do as a christian, if you don't know something as rudimentary as that, you really shouldn't be speaking about this at all--and I mean that in a respectful way.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

He's citing wikipedia because it is something extremely obvious. If you actually did study islam you are embarrassing yourself right now.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I didn't vote since I am in the do not know category.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm an atheist. Your argument is flawed. You take a stance where as long as everyone believes peacefully we can all co-exist together. That's true. I don't wish to infringe upon anyone's right to express themselves peacefully. That said, if you worship and pray that 2+2=5, I will flat out tell you you're wrong while respecting your wish to pray that 2+2=5. We can't all be right. There really is only one answer. There either is a singular god, multiple gods, or none. Can't have all three. Can't have two out of three. There is only one right answer, and if you look at the actual evidence for all three, the only reasonable sound conclusion you can come to is that there is no creator, at least in the way that ancient and modern religions would have you believe. It's your right to be wrong, but let's make the distinction clear that at least one party out of three choices available is right and the other two are just plain wrong. Religion isn't a participation trophy where your belief is good enough and that's okay. There are right answers and there are wrong answers. You have the right to be wrong, and I have the right to call out you're wrong based on all the evidence available. You can take offense to that, but the onus is on you to prove your god(s) exist. If all you can muster is some undefined mumbo jumbo, then you can't clearly define what you believe in and that makes for untestable theory, which is a pretty poor way of showing your deity exists like the topic says. Prove it. Show me clearly where your god(s) exist and I will believe you. Otherwise I will continue to remain skeptical and look at all the evidence that counters that there is no deity, especially the way all the religions throughout history would have you believe.

I don't particularly agree with agnostics either. Take a stance one way or the other. Saying I don't know does a huge disservice to all the evidence that shows that there is no creator, at least in the way that all religions throughout history would have you believe. It's really time to stop pussyfooting around that everyone can be right when it comes to religion. No it can't. Someone is right, while everyone is wrong. That type of viewpoint is for people that watch Supernatural and think belief brings a mythological entity into existence. Prove it.

Dave_78 and myco like this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wikipedia is as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica.
    http://www.zmescience.com/science/study-wikipedia-25092014/
    So yes, it is an accurate source. I don't know where you studied about Islam, but you either misunderstood, or they mislead you.

Your out of context quotes from Islam won't prove anything except that it will further highlight how little you know about Islam.

I'm not denying anything about Islam. I'm not a Muslim. There are things I don't agree with in the religion. But I don't need to spout things about it that aren't accurate.

Please go back and think about what you said about prophets in Islam.
    https://www.quora.com/How-many-prophets-are-mention-in-Holy-Quran
    https://www.al-islam.org/prophethood-and-prophet-islam-ayatullah-ibrahim-amini/number-prophets
    http://www.qul.org.au/library/our-messengers/1-25-prophets-of-islam
    https://icorpa.org/prophets-in-islam.html
    https://www.islamreligion.com/articles/10228/prophets-of-quran/
    https://quizlet.com/10942143/the-25-prophets-of-islam-flash-cards/
    http://www.alim.org/library/biography/stories/SOP

Here is a book available on Islam that talks about one of the prophets of Islam.

Look at those sources. Look who published those sources. You can spend as little time as you wish actually reading them, but at least look at them. This is a chance for you to clear up a great misunderstanding that you have. If you take it, then that is great for you. If you don't take it, then you are choosing to remain in your ignorance, and it is not only disappointing but disgusting.

Do you read Arabic? If you don't, then you haven't actually read the Quran. You have read an interpretation or translation of the Quran.

I'm aware that Mohammed is what makes Islam unique. That doesn't mean there weren't other prophets.

Do me a favor and let us know when you've actually checked out the many sources that I listed there.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm in the I don't know category because I can't prove jack ****. Now if there were people across different religions and cultures who came back from the living and gave the same picture of the afterlife, I'm a little bit more inclined to believe them.

It's really a conceit that our monkey brains can understand enough to choose something several orders of magnitude more complex than we are.

DudeWah likes this.
  14. Exiled

Exiled Member

I've this odd friendship with a 76 old atheist Jew, he has understandably some harsh views on Islam and Christianity in which I quite like b/c it shed some light on different narrative on how things viewed from different perspectives

#cml750 , I've this Q for you \\During Jesus lifetime ,he did not call himself (God) ,none of his disciples had said he was God, so how he became a God!

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Islam claim that the Muslim Prophet was mentioned in earlier scriptures :

here is a neutral wikipedia article on this from the Bible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_in_the_Bible
    & here is an interesting take from Indian,Buddhist & Parsi old scriptures https://www.justdawah.org/essays-ar...etold-in-indian-buddhist-and-parsi-scriptures

we cannot determine the accuracy of things we have not seen yet which is dependant on absolute Faith, that's given,we can at least judge the facts we have ...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Islam is a stupid religion(marginally more than Christianity) but there are plenty of projects in Islam hence why the phrase "the LAST messenger".

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I read this book probably 15 years ago when I was actually interested in these types of questions. Worth reading for anyone here that wanted to know more history about how they are intertwined.
    [​IMG]

mdrowe00 and Kevooooo like this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's a congress somewhere in the sky where all the Gods meet. they elect a president every billion year or so

19. Nivos

Nivos Member

So what you're saying, that in a situation where either side can't prove the other wrong, and there can only be one truth, it is on me to prove that my argument is correct and the rest of the world must think like me.
    That is my issue with religions, and I put ateism in the same category.
    I don't have to prove to you that god exist, because I seperate my own believes from my scientific view on life.
    If I meditate and/or pray, and it helps me personaly to cope with this life, it doesnt have to make sense to you (or to me for that matter) in order to be as real as the air I breath.
    Now you can claim its not a reational thought and I totally agree.
    It doesnt prove that god exist, just that I benefit from believing that god exist.
    What do you benefit from not believing?
    So I can claim that as long as I dont force my belief system on others, god can exist to me and be an actual presence in my life, without exsisting in your life.
    And that is why you can't rule out the possibilty of 2 truth to exist at the same time.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The Greek and Roman gods were allusions to geological phenomena and specific human endeavors, occupations and emotions. Abrahamic deities and prophets were a political workaround for criticizing existing rulers without explicitly defying them or denying their birthright. So obviously all conceived based on human self-interest and conjecture, and equally false; but valuable enough to retain as philosophical or cultural icons as political and social customs and scientific understanding shifts over time.