1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do deities from other religions exist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by arno_ed, Jun 16, 2017.

?

Do deities from other religions exist?

1. No, they are made up by people

25.0%
  2. Yes, but they are not really gods

4.2%
  3. Yes, there are more gods than present in my religion

12.5%
  4. I do not believe that any god exist

58.3%
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not believe in a god or in any high power deities. But there is something I am wondering. For the people who do believe in a god (or gods). What is your opinion on the gods of other religions. Do you think they also exist? And if so what are they? Are they demons? Or other high powered creatures like a god? Or do you believe they are made up by people?

Please note, since Christianity, Islam and Jewish is based on the same god (just different ways of honoring him) I do not mean those as gods from other religions. So If you are Christian think of Hindu gods and others.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If any god from the various religions exist, they obviously do not care too much about the people on earth, so it does not really matter if they are real or not.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am not trying to know if they exist or not (I already stated I do not believe they exist) I want to know what religious people believe about deities of other religions,

4. pirc1

Since I am agnostic, I obviously do not believe the gods from these religions.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

From what I understand, Hinduism allows for other gods, which I think is very cool. My understanding is that Hinduism holds that God has many faces, and Jesus can be one, for example.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think you'd get as much agreement on this as you seem to expect. I don't think most Christians would say that Allah is the same as Yahweh, just worshiped differently. Some would, and some would say Islam is inspired by the Devil, but most would say that the Muslim conception of God is so different as to be fundamentally a different person. Likewise, I imagine most of Islam would think Christians have Allah so wrong that they are effectively worshiping something else. Jews may feel the same -- that Islam and Christianity have innovated so much that they are essentially new patents, even if those newer religions claim continuity themselves.

Yung-T and justtxyank like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right. Most Christians I've heard talk about this take offense when people say Allah is the same as the God of the Bible.

Also, if you believe in one of the major monotheistic religions of Christianity, Islam or Judaism, and I mean you consider yourself an actual believer not just a "sure I'm a Christian I guess" then you by definition have to rule out all other deities. The holy books you believe in specifically state that the God of those books is the ONLY God and to believe any others exist is blasphemy.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If you believe in one God, then we all believe in the same God. There would be no other God to believe in. We just have fundamental differences of what that one God represents and how to worship him/her/it. I agree with OP.

And there is a lot more similarities between the three Abrahamic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam than most people are willing to admit or bother to learn.

DudeWah likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I thought agnostic meant "LOL Idunno" which is pretty much my position.

I don't know if a Christian god exists, or any other sort of god. I have my hunches, but who really knows?

I wish a "don't know" option existed in the poll.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. pirc1

To me it means I think there is something out there, how did the universe came into existence? However, I do not think it is any of the Gods from the current religions on earth.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Invisible Pink Unicorn exists! Believe!

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

Interesting topic.
    If you think of the hindu gods and how they can co-exist with the 'allmighty' god of the Abrahamic religions, well, they can't really.
    The basic core of the monoteistic religion and the 1st commandment is in free translation: 'I am your only god. you shall not have any other god before me'.
    Now, as someone that belives in god but doesnt consider himslef religious, yes, the hindu gods can co exist in my world, as well as my god.
    If someone feels good about praying to the god of thunder to make it rain, why not? If I will want to pray for rain I will pray to my god, and all is good. It might rain tomorrow. It might not. But we will both feel good about praying.
    Problem is when people are denying the possibily of 2 truth to co exist.
    They say, well, if my truth is real than yours must be a lie. Therefore you have to believe my truth, because there can only be one.
    And that in a nutshell my biggest problem with atheists.

13. JuanValdez

Don't know if I buy that. It's like if someone said, "Yeah, I know JuanValdez. Black dude. Brony. Big Trump guy." If they are completely wrong about what I'm like, can you say they know me?

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Respectfully, I don't really understand your argument. Just because they don't know your personality, doesn't mean they don't know you, JuanValdez, the physical being.

15. JuanValdez

As a hint, the part you don't really know from the BBS, the physical being -- it ain't black. But, in any case, apart from the incarnation in Jesus, neither Yahweh nor Allah has a manifested physical being for us to know. To whatever extent anyone knows and worships one of these Gods, it is, at best, a metaphysical relationship, not a physical one. Let's say you encounter a poster with the handle JuanValdez on two different bbses. They don't claim to be the same person. They seem to have very different ideas about everything. Their posting styles are very different. You then must figure they are the same person?

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Allah is the same as the God in the Christian stories. They may not be spiritually the same God. Allah had Moses, Abraham, Noah, and all of the same people as the Bible.

Furthermore, when Christians read the Bible in Arabic, They don't ever read the word God, they read the word, Allah. Of course, Christians who like to bash Islam don't want to admit that the father figure version of God is the same person with the followers just having a different take on it. But historically it is the same.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

The Islamic version of God, "Allah", does not really compare to the actual God of the Bible. All you have to is read the text of the teachings to know this. Did they develop from the same roots, yes, but that means nothing when they have become so diametrically opposed in most areas. They do agree in some areas such as being against homosexuality. If you study both religions you will notice that the Bible has many prophets that had a consistent message that each prophet recorded themselves to contribute to the Bible. Islam had only one prophet who had his revelations under severe seizures, likely demon possessed(I know a topic for another debate), but still only one prophet.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have some real misconceptions about Islam.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Jesus is a Muslim Prophet in Islam.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Like what? Everything I said was 100% fact except the point about demonic possession that I admitted was my opinion in the post. I actually looks like you have a lot of misconceptions about Islam. Have you actually read Quran? Are you suggesting the religion supports homosexuality? Are you suggesting there are multiple prophets in Islam? Are you suggesting that Mohammed did not have epileptic like seizures as he was spouting off words that were transcribed by others to become the Quran and the Hadith?