1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dieting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I few years ago I lost ~35 lbs. using the same methodology. Ate whatever I wanted as long as I stayed under my calorie goal each day, usually 1700 to 1800 calories a day. I combined with 20 minutes on a stationary bike (working my way up to a very aggressive pace over a couple weeks) in addition to walking....usually 2 or 3 miles a day. I went from 220 to 185 and felt better than ever. Having your pants go down 4 inches in the waist is a good feeling, but its an even better feeling to be able to buy smaller shirts.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:oops: I think I may have missed it, but...

Why are you taking meat off your diet? You could still eat in small portions.

Just make it
    exercise > food
    :cool:

3. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Yep, it definitely is an awesome way to diet but I feel like it is entering the realm of crossfit ... cue the "How do you know when someone does keto/crossfit/is or was a marine/Aggie/engineer? Don't worry they will tell you" joke. People who do the keto diet love it and don't stop talking about... myself included when I was on it. I don't need to lose weight but I think I might start again at a caloric surplus after my next vacation for the other benefits. It definitely isn't foolproof and it has some doubters but if it is followed properly it is a great diet to follow.

plus whiskey has 0 carbs... just be aware that the diet lowers your tolerance

4. body slam

body slam Member

I was 240 lbs at the beginning of the year. I cut out most sweets ice cream, cookies, ect... I will eat a Hershey's mini with a hand full of almonds. Cut out white rice and noodles for brown rice and wheat noodles. Over the past several months I have slowly cut my meat intake in half. Added more veggies, fish, and chicken. Slowly went from 15+/- Dr Peppers a week to 5. Cut beer down to 2 a week and that's only on the weekend if I drink any. I've been doing little things slowly not going all extreme and it seems to be paying off. Currently down to 220.

Hakeemtheking and Dankstronaut like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The goal is to lower your calories as much as possible, while still getting as many nutrients as possible, that's the only type of sustainable weight lost diet. The best diet for that, is a diet consisting of mostly vegetables, as vegetables are the unanimous winner when it comes to being very nutritionally dense low caloric foods.

So that's what you should be eating the most of, but what you cut out of your diet is also very important. Stay completely away from highly processed foods and sugary drinks.

As for your question about vegetarians/vegans, I've had a vegan diet for about 5 years now. I started it for ethical reasons, and have maintained it due to ethical, health and environmental reasons. I don't think you have to have a vegetarian or vegan diet to have optimal health, but I do think the best diet is one that is mostly vegetable based, as well as unprocessed.

Another note about diets, you're goal shouldn't be a short term plan, but rather a life long plan.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Pretty much all I eat is meat. But mostly fish and chicken. You should see my moosels. But ya I stopped eating fast food and started eating just meat, fruit, rice cakes, popcurn, granola, yogurt and almond milk. A couple times a week I hit chipotle after leg day for sure. Stay swole

7. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I work at a brewery so my vice is obviously post work beer. Cutting that down to 2 days a week did wonders.

I just do a strict energy in verses energy out. Im 235 at 6 foot, but Im the "barrel chested" body type. (damn all that power lifting when I was in HS)
    My ideal weight is 215, Ive lost 30 pounds in about 4 months, not extreme weight loss but really when I hear someone loses 40 pounds in 2 months I know its BS and that it wasnt healthy and they are sure to gain it back.

As lame as it sounds it really is a "Life Style Change" and not a "Diet"

I do a 5k at the gym then weights for around 45 mins,
    My diet is mostly chicken legs and thighs, ground turkey meat and veg. I eat red meat like once a month.

Really we should all just ask @SirIvyLeague about it. That dude is shredded.....
    Or @paulftsk

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

The Paleo diet is great way to eat. I've done it multiple times and have seen great results. It's pretty much meat, veggies, and fruits. No processed foods, breads, dairy, and alcohol. Instead of using carbs as energy, your body will use fat when you workout.

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Cut out soda and beer and you'll shed the lbs, effortlessly...

Daddy Long Legs and body slam like this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

cut carbs, and the best place to start is replacing sugary drinks with diet soda or vitamin water zero, etc

11. body slam

body slam Member

I started drinking more water and tea

12. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Weird. Figured you were a sausage guy.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Floppy sausage

14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

True. I prefer mine well done.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Do intermittent fasting. The caffeine in the coffee will decrease your appetite.
    nt [​IMG]

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

SUSHI!!!

Literally start living on it. Switch to sashimi if you have too much rice

[​IMG]

17. Daddy Long Legs

Say hello to your new gourmet diet. Raw fish all the damn time!

[​IMG]

Your welcome by the way...

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

flaccid bacon

Pen15clubber likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I could never go full on vegan but I'm trying to not eat meat with every meal. Honestly, its mostly a personal thing. My digestive system thanks me lol...I feel like I have a better time of it if there's only one kind of meat per day, like if I were to eat chicken for lunch and dinner instead of chicken for lunch and beef for dinner. Idk, just me but I definitely process better eating like that. The salad meals or occasional bean soup or whatever just kind of give my guts a break.

I do a pretty decent job of snacking appropriately and taking supplements. I've just always been trying to make gains, this is really the first time I've tried to lose weight working out so I'm not sure how it goes lol

SwoLy-D likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Hows the sashimi?