1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dieting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm one to use the word dieting as in you are aware of the food going into your body. You have a plan. A diet.

Not exactly like the, I eat nothing and intend to starve type use some people connect with the word.

I wanted to ask if anyone is a strict vegan or vegetarian? If so, why? I've started trying to limit the overall intake of meats, trying to get a meal here and there that is vegan/vegetarian and trying to keep my snacks on that level. But I just can't imagine the discipline and stomach pains involved! When I do a salad lunch, that day's dinner had better be something substantial because I get so hungry I can't stand up straight. I can do it here and there but I'll never go strict veg.

I'm about 5'10" and currently 205lbs. I want to get back to my better days of 190 and working out regularly. I'm trying to diet, eat healthy and consciously but my metabolism is crazy. I would honestly lose the weight in 2 days if I fasted but I'd be in misery and it's hard to feed myself enough to feel satisfied while also not out eating my workout progress. I start working out, I get hungrier. I eat more. yadayadayada...the other day I ate a large pizza AND breadsticks. That's the kind of hunger I get lol

Even snacking through the day, it's kind of like being hungry all day. I've had a fruit smoothie, homemade granola and some trail mix, with morning supplements too. and it's like another 1.5 hours to lunch, a real meal with chicken and rice and I don't feel like I can make it!!

What to do?!

2. SuraGotMadHops

For anyone that's beginning to make dietary/nutrition changes, I think a great starting point is to do a Whole30. There are no real restrictions on how much you eat, just the quality of what you're eating, so you will never need to be hungry while you do it. Because you're only eating healthy foods, you'll lose weight in the 30 days, but more importantly, you'll feel much healthier overall. I do a Whole30 at least once a year, and it always springboards me into better habits going forward. When I feel myself slipping too much, I do another one.

toby likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

read up on keto . . . trendiness aside, the issue is getting enough fat in your diet and trying to minimize the sugars and empty carbs. Foods like avocados should be your friend. And if you can do dairy, lots of high fat cheeses and heavy cream.

don grahamleone and Svpernaut like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Okay. Goes against any theory of calorie expenditure and energy balance.

5. SuraGotMadHops

Whole30 is more about nutrition, not weight loss. But yes, you can still lose weight on Whole30, depending on your circumstances. If you have bad habits and eat a lot of sugar and fats, eliminating those from your diet for 30 days will lead to weight loss.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Keto is great, I've used it with success.

www.reddit.com/r/keto

don grahamleone and Bäumer like this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

stop with the fat logic is the first step. you wouldn't lose even a few pounds of tissue in two days

secondly there are a ton of ways to offset appetite, a good first step is to stop eating such calorie dense foods like pizza and bread sticks.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If you usually have the same breakfast and/or lunch everyday, I would start there.

I would look at nutritional dense foods, code for fruits, vegetables and nuts.

For example, most days for breakfast I have a bowl of Kashi GoLean Crisp! Cinnamon Crumble with almond plus a Chocolate Shakeology shake. For lunch, I have a pre-made salad like Kroger's
    [​IMG]
    which the careful reader will notice has cheese and a fatty dressing. You can have fruit and nuts for a snack during the day.

This should get you to diner under 1000 calories.

#8 No Worries, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Asking others what to do is not a good approach. Everyone's body is different. Everyone metabolizes differently. We all have different levels of activity.
    When talking about dieting, keep your end game in mind. If you're looking to lose 20lbs, then what do you do after you lose that 20lbs? Put on another 20 and go through the whole process again?

Do plenty of research and find what works best for you. Just remember the dieting market is largely commercialized and marketed to make money, not necessarily make you healthy.

Sajan likes this.
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm far from an expert on this. But I've had success by eating portioned meals/snacks of turkey, cheese, and various nuts through out the day and drinking a ton of water. For dinner I eat pretty much whatever I want but dial the serving size WAY back. Works like a charm for me.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if the "fat logic" phrasing was aimed at my comment, I was responding more to OP's stated complaint about being hungry all the time. Fat will satiate you more than any of the things he listed. One of the problems with low-fat diets is people stay hungry and as a result eat more, which has the unintended consequence of people usually gaining more weight, because of their low-fat diet.

it is possible however to lose weight on a high fat low carb diet.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

smoothie - excessive sugar
    granola - lots of sugar
    trail mix - more sugar
    pizza and breadsticks - 'bad' carbs (assuming it's not whole grain dough or something)

I'm sure others can explain it better, but carbs and sugars will only satiate you for a short amount of time, then you rebound after with a vengeance.

Eating more proteins, vegetables as good fats will help you a lot. Like Os Trig said, avocados are great fillers (I love slices on whole grain wasa bread)

13. Bandwagoner

it was aimed at what I quoted and countered.

"I would honestly lose the weight in 2 days if I fasted but I'd be in misery "
    counter
    "you wouldn't lose even a few pounds of tissue in two days"

i don't concern myself with macros

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

got it. I misunderstood, thanks for explaining.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

oh i meant like a banana/strawberry smoothie not a smoothie king or anything. i know there's sugar/glucose to be had in fruit but i wouldn't consider eating fruit a bad thing. the granola is homemade, wifey baked some oats with like cinnamon and brown sugar i think, definitely not "lots" of sugar there and the trail mix is nuts. no sugar.

but i definitely ate the **** outta that pizza lol

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I lost almost 50 pounds 2 years ago (and have kept it off since) doing the Slow Carb Diet. Google it, but subtract the word "low" from the search.

1. Lots of lean protein (nothing processed though like cheese)
    2. Lots of natural/healthy carbs (black beans, lentils, green vegetables)
    3. Dry red wine at night (sounds like a song by The Fixx)
    4. One day a week, eat/drink whatever the hell you want. This tricks your body into thinking you're not really on a diet.

I eat an omelette with no cheese and packed with veggies every morning, mexican chili (lean ground beef, black beans, taco seasoning, salsa) for lunch, and then a lean protein with vegetables and/or beans for dinner every night. I drink black coffee, green tea and red wine, along with lots of water. Sundays I gorge and eat (and drink.....) whatever I want.

Hakeemtheking and Torn n Frayed like this.
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Not that anyone cares and your mileage may vary but...

On May 4th I was 332.3 lbs. I started counting calories, walking almost every day (I now do 3 miles most mornings) and doing Yoga 2-3 times a week. I'm down to 295 and counting.

My diet isn't the best but its getting better. I've mixed in more veggies and fruits/nuts. But if I want fried chicken or pizza... I eat it, I just make sure to count the calories and stay under my daily goal.

Edit: I forgot I also cut out the monthly gallon of captain morgans, switched diet coke for unsweet iced tea and cut way down on the tequila while floating in the lake every saturday.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

WRONG. It sounds like a song by Squeeze.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How tall are you? Maury is looking for another big body center

Nice progress tho

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

get out of here with that logic, science, and progress. it has no place in a diet thread.

Sajan, VooDooPope and Os Trigonum like this.