1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Did I do something wrong by tipping?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jun 11, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I wish there was a strong verbal reprimand in this story. Would have made it more interesting.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[Educational Post]

The_Conquistador is so mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially secure that it is impossible for him to even fathom wasting a moment of his valuable time concerning himself with the skepticism of naive BBS posters. The man regularly wipes challengers into the dustbin of bested competitors like so many pulverized liberal pipe dreams. There can be no doubt the story is true.

You'll do yourself and the BBS a great service when you apologize for your impropriety and strive to fully realize the respect you must show to this titan among educators.

GOOD DAY

fchowd0311 and dachuda86 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I do believe good sir that you make a point. The poster in question is an upstanding one, with a history and reputation as not only a titan among educators, but a leader in his industry. We would do best to not incur his wrath and to apologize forthwith. Lest we all have to suffer through a strong verbal reprimand.

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it was because you air quoted and said "Premium Tip" as you handed him the money.

apollo33, Nook, biff17 and 3 others like this.
  5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Deckard, you are comparing apples and pears. Had Taye Diggs offered a couple of paper towels and some breath mints to the bathroom tipper, then the circumstances would have been comparable to the banker who took my golf clubs. I did not make a decision based on race, I made a decision based on behavior. The guy asked for my clubs and stowed them -- the same behavior that a bellman makes. His race was incidental, other than he shared the same race as most of the bellmen at the hotel.

GOOD DAY

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you can't tell the difference between a black banker and a black bellman (after seeing a bunch of them no less), you are either a pretty crappy businessman (dumb) or just openly bigoted...or there is a third option - that you are making all this up because you are that bored today.

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

God you reminded me of this gem.

8. jcf

jcf Member

How do I square this response with the posts asking why OP mentioned the banker was black and acting like that was gratuitous?

I get that it is a schtick. But, assuming it was a legit question, the responses asking why he mentioned race seemed a little off. Which is it? Hence my question regarding why there would be offense.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Jeff Eye.

[​IMG]

Ann Althouse weighs in on serious business:

I find myself reading in all the little pockets of time that were once reserved for the serious business...

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/05/you-arent-enjoying-reading-then-read.html?m=1

I bring an e-reader everywhere I go, KC, and given half a chance, I'm lost in a book in the blink of an eye. Back in the day, I'd be looking around for a conversation (or a girl, then the conversation).

#49 Deckard, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Nook, dachuda86 and KingCheetah like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If his race was incidental, why did you have to qualify the man as African American? What does that have to do with anything?

#50 bobrek, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket River

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  12. mick fry

mick fry Member

So he gave you a “look” and kept the money? Sounds a little like AOC preaching cows bad while eating a taco.

King1 and dachuda86 like this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol good point...

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The look was because he heard of The Conquistador's storied Clutchfans reputation and expected a fifty not a fiver.

calurker, biff17 and dachuda86 like this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude can both keep the money AND think you're a dumbass. You think $5 makes you cool? Think of it as an extra "F U" from the colored gentleman ;)

See? His actions made you introspect and come here to start a discussion and ask for input.

#56 sirbaihu, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What do @bigtexxx and @basso think? They are the experts in how black people should feel.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kind of boggles my mind how TJ doesn’t see how a black man might be offended that he was mistaken for a bellhop rather than a financial analyst/advisor by him.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

OP, maybe you should discontinue your habit of raising your eyebrows twice when you tip people. It may have gone over better in your younger days.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you could also ask Thomas Sowell.