1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Different tone used than when he has talked about any of the quarterbacks. By his standards, he was gushing with enthusiasm. Sounds to me like he enjoyed what he saw on tape.

I could hear a genuine difference.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would have been more impressed if he was gushing with enthusiasm BEFORE yesterday's performance. Like during training camp. It just seems convenient now.

J.R. likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but that's not what I said, which makes what he said stupid.....or you know, pretty much like most things he says.

4. tmacfor35

Sometimes it is hard to look good with guys who don't belong.

You a savage guy?

5. tmacfor35

This is the press conference. 610 has a BoB show at 5pm. This is where this was discussed. This is not what I was referring too.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That was JR making up quotes lol

KingCheetah, DreamShook and J.R. like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

Bill gives the same canned answers whether it's practice, scrimmage, preseason, regular season, Super Bowl or radio show.

Was it this?

“He does a lot of things well for a young player,” said O’Brien. “He’s a very smart player. It would be hard for me to tell you he did ‘this’ thing better than others. The key for Deshaun is now building on it. His first two starts on the road, he’s played pretty well. So now it’s, OK, what do I need to do to get ready for another really good team, obviously, and a new defense and a Dick LeBeau (Tennessee’s defensive coordinator) -designed defense – which is something he’s never seen before. So, he just needs to take each week as a new week and a new challenge. That’s the kind of kid he is and that’s what he’ll do.”

“I don’t think you guys really care what I say, just like I don’t really care what you say,” said O’Brien. “But we’ve been working with Deshaun since the night he was drafted. I was on the phone with him. I think we sent him whatever sections of the playbook we could send him, we sent him. As soon as he arrived in Houston, we began to meet with him. As soon as we were allowed to get on the field, we began to work with him. He worked with everybody that was out there. When we got into training camp there were injuries and things like that, so nobody worked with (DeAndre) Hopkins for about four or five weeks, I think, because he was out with a thumb. Nobody worked with (Will) Fuller (V) because he was out for a long time because he broke his collarbone. So, Deshaun was in there with some guys that aren’t here anymore. So was Tom (Savage). Deshaun has worked a lot with us as to what his package is.”

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

He was quoting the 130 press conference LOL.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oh not close. I wanted Deshaun since the end of the college football season. He has been my guy. When people on here were gushing about Mahomes, the only QB i wanted in the 1st round was Watson. I couldn't believe the Texans actually went and got him.

10. tmacfor35

That's awesome. I wanted Mahomes personally. I think Rick nailed it fortunately.

Sooty and Nimo like this.
  11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Guess we are not seeing Mr Clutch until Watson's next bad game.

12. tmacfor35

I called his ass out!

He was the worst hater.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He played well but I still have my doubts. Hopefully I'm wrong. Still makes me more mad that we don't have an OL or a secondary now. Having a good QB isn't enough, ask Philip Rivers.

Here's what PFF says:

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
    QB DESHAUN WATSON, 74.5 OVERALL GRADE

Another enigma of a performance from Watson, who showed glimpses of brilliance but was again culpable for some of the pressure he brought upon himself. Watson was responsible for more pressure (1 sack, 2 hits, 2 hurries) than any of his individual offensive linemen were charged with but when he was under pressure he evaded it and kept plays alive superbly. Still far from polished but this was another huge step in the right direction from Watson and so very nearly a signature win early in his career. Watson complete 11/19 passes aimed 10+ yards downfield and is trending upwards with his performances very quickly.

KingCheetah and tmacfor35 like this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I wanted Mahomes as well.
    And he looked good in the preseason for KC so time will tell.
    I just wasn't sure how DW's game would translate and wondered if he would be another VY (only smaller and slower), but I think it's looking good on that front.
    We will have to wait though until we play some better defenses and also till teams get tape on him to tailor gameplans to stop him.

What would be REALLY ironic is if we found out later that Rick Smith was about to be let go/promoted out of the way but drafting Deshaun saved his bacon.
    What a quandry!
    Would you rather have DW at QB and RS still making the draft picks or neither?

15. Malaya

Malaya Member

Huh, Coach? trying to save your a** when you still make so many dumb decisions (like not calling the TO)

You wanted to make Deshaun into a Brady clone. You thought after 4 years, Savage was too. Then reality struck. Only good that you did was you pulled Savage and put Deshaun in.

You had to shelve your complicated offense and come up with a gameplan more suited to Deshaun's skils before the offense could look good.

Everybody knows what's the truth in how you (mis)handled the situation. You just can't put a good man like Deshaun down.

Your days are still numbered, as with the defensive coaches. Watt was upset at the defensive schemes during the post-game interview. McNair watches all the games closely. You are on the clock. Time will tell if Deshaun can save your job.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...of-week-3-watson-mccaffrey-cook-hunt-stay-hot

18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Oh snap! Foool got called out

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I didn't say he was worse than Savage. What was the deal with everyone on twitter saying Savage was better in training camp?

20. tmacfor35

Got a ways to go Rook but us fans are proud as hell to have you.

Not accurate at all.