1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defending freedom of speech is important, but you should know what happened then give a speech.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Emanon, Oct 9, 2019.

1. kanariya

kanariya Member

No I'm US citizen and in USA now. I have friends and family in HK and China so I closely monitor the situation. I get my news mostly from RTHK and Standnews. Standnews is a bit more protester biased and TVB is pro-China. RTHK is pretty neutral.

Situation now is there are many assaults going on between the protesters and the police. Yesterday a couple undercover got beat like crap by protesters. There are already many proven fact of police brutality, torture and sexual harassment in the detention center. While rumors of deaths involved due to that and so far there has been around 120 people died from jumping off buildings or bodies recovered from shore which police ruled all of them non suspicious.

Few thing I can suggest you while in HK.
    - Don't wear any black shirt
    - Don't wear any mask or covering face
    - Don't wear blue I Love HK or I Love Police tshirt
    - Leave the scene where police is present. They are extremely violent on regular citizen. They will pepper stray you before question you. Or tackle you and pin you to the ground for just wearing a mask. Arrest first talk later mentality.
    - Don't carry anything remotely offensive of course.
    - Don't take close up headshot photos or anyone.
    - Don't provoke protesters with things like I am/We are Chinese kind of words.

2. kanariya

kanariya Member

I would really suggest to avoid MTR as the stations are being targeted daily and their stations/service has been suspended like no end. They just shutted down the entire MTR last week for the whole long weekend and now resumed with limited service as a lot of their machines got destroyed. Nobody knows how much they can restore in 3 weeks. But I'm not expert in HK transportation so you should consult with locals.

If you want to find out protest schedules you can check LIHKG.com. Usually they only have schedule for up to a week or two.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Thanks. :D and don’t speak Mandarin and just listen what they have to say. When I was there the animosity towards mainland is real. It’s almost like anger. That you agree?

4. kanariya

kanariya Member

He doesn't have access to those. His objective is to show one sided story CCP propaganda.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No doubt but imagine US plus 10x more people in populous Asia.

6. kanariya

kanariya Member

Yea in generally they don't like mainlander due to many reasons. Thought it wasn't that bad as I have Mandarin speaking friend lived there for 2 years before. According to her she was able to live there normally without having to learn Cantonese. But these few months things gotten much worse. Generally HK people are very friendly unless you are provoking, then you'll be on news.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is very sad to say, Violence begets Violence.

I wouldn't have dared to envision that it would have developed to this degree, it is really sad at the moment.

8. kanariya

kanariya Member

it started with the police used excessive violence since June. things escalated quickly after major event like 7/21, 8/31 and 10/1. now citizens do not trust police anymore and protesters take justice themselves. it's not right but there is no really other choices with the way of the police behavior.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah but I dun think HK started protest just this year, they have been protesting since I dunno when, 2000 or 2012?

The Police are always in a position of Strength so yeah, I give you that, it is easy to abuse that.

Yet there are enough simpletons to think it is okay to get violent themselves.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Very friendly. Some nicest people I ever met. I am still in shock with all of this. 2M people out on the street.

11. kanariya

kanariya Member

if I recall correctly there was one in 2004. then 2014 was the big umbrella movement. then 2016 was the mong kwok protest led by Edward Leung. then this one. I believe all the protest started with china tried to influence or get into the hk politic and law. while the protests before were mostly very peaceful until 2016. there were like less than 100 tear gas fired for the whole duration of protest. in 2014 protesters were caught on camera holding umbrella for the police when it rained. police and protesters had fun conversation. they were respected both side. this time is different. thousands of tear gas fired. thousand arrested. many injured. city is hugely divided. gov is the same incompetent.

12. kanariya

kanariya Member

yea there was a comparison saying 30 years ago 1989 tianamen, hk people supported, sympathy and cried for students in Beijing. 30 years later now it's hk's turn and Chinese people are bullying them.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insigh...262/hong-kongs-basic-law-constitution-chinese

The Basic law is flawed because Beijing has the right to interpret it their way. This is what this fuss is all about.

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insigh...262/hong-kongs-basic-law-constitution-chinese

I have posted it before, people have just come across this in recent years, it took them some years.

Just study your law!

Either you make a new basic law or things go the same way.

I do not think you can force a new law by sheer violence.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

but ... they let Joshua Wong and his gang took over. As daywalker said, that sect has not stopped stirring. The extradition bill was another excuse and they ran away with it. In my previous posts, I was trying to reason with HK posters here about the deeper problems but met with disdain. I actually share a lot of concerns they have over Mainland, like rushing to the island to make everything more expensive and lack of proper manner. I have seen those myself. But this start off with wrong foot and became HK independence (just listen to what a poster has to say here). I know most HKers don’t actually want that. But this is how is perceived in Mainland. Obviously they are not going to identify with a cause with an agenda to distance HK from Mainland.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  15. YallMean

YallMean Member

they have been saying encroachment and finally had it. I don’t fault them for wanting more civil liberty. The reunification does not stop them from asking for that I guess.

But what baffles me is that HK has to be different from China to be competitive and to be free. That sect is mostly kids.

16. Miracle

Miracle Member

Someone said in an interview that the demands were not met during previous peaceful protestings (I did not check that myself). This time there were more people participated and the government still shows no signs of accepting all the demands. So they decide to fight instead. Meanwhile, this protest is said to be leaderless and therefore much less organized than previous ones. There are different groups of people having mixed motivations involved.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. Miracle

Miracle Member

As for independence, most HKers do not want that. But if universal suffrage is enacted, it is quite possible that someone that is picked by the locals would always prioritize local interests over national interests. That would be a de facto independence and it seems to be only one step from actual independence. I am not sure whether there is a compromise that can be achieved between both sides.

As a special case of national interest, Basic Law 23 is not legislated and is resisted by anti-China groups. So a pro-democracy government can just turn a blind eye to behaviors that jeopardize China's national security. That is one real concern by the central government.

#417 Miracle, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  18. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

Tencent resume to broadcast NBA now ,so ironic ...

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

A sea of American flags in Hong Kong tonight as thousands of people rally in support of the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act.

kanariya likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not even sure Joshua Wong is part of the violent group no more.

Yes, he is involved but articles also stated he is not pro independence just some young guy who does want more rights.

Also ashleyem confirmed, there are groups within who do not see Joshua Wong as a leader, and might not go along with what he does on a daily basis.

But I have to say he also did not say anything against violence, nothing I have heard of.