1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deer Park petrochemical fires

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThatBoyNick, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Nothing in Galena Park, it's only precautionary. They have detected nothing in the area, although we are shelter in place at work and due to this we are losing close to a million dollars a day in lost production. I cant wait until this plant is sued into oblivion. ****ing disgrace that Texas allows these plants to run basically unregulated.

B-Bob, Hippieloser and Joshfast like this.
  4. LonghornFan

The hipsters wanted a kid in with no experience. They're not very bright.

5. SuraGotMadHops

Ed Emmett was a CHAMP when it came to handling disasters, this child they have in there now is a complete moron. Why the hell would any intelligent person vote for her over Emmett, who we all saw first hand how effective he was. Party affiliations aside, there are qualified candidates, and unqualified ones.

macho GRANDE and LonghornFan like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

I was thinking, maybe the PD department in Houston should be called, HOUPD. That just sounds better. Which would make the fire department HOUFD. And that kinds works too.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Stay safe longhorn!

Yeah, unintended Trump effect of blanketing every Republican to be like Trump... which is clearly not the case.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You do know the county judge has no jurisdiction in chemical plants because of the State laws right?

The Country judge can't really control how a plant handles their accidents because it's private property. All she can do is pass along info.

This is the bed Texas regulators have made and the the people to blame are the the citizens that continue to support big business over their own health. Congrats Texas, you're a bastion of enterprise.

ryan_98 and Rocket River like this.
  9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

County Judge should be a nonpartisan role. Frankly more local offices (judicial elections, county judge, etc..) need to be nonpartisan. All local elections having partisan affiliations is a relic of straight ticket voting (which is now abolished). So now that straight ticket voting is gone, they need to switch this stuff to nonpartisan elections and be done. Mayor can stay partisan but the county level stuff needs to be nonpartisan.

Where I live, all county and judicial elections are nonpartisan while city elections can be partisan. So county commissioners and county judges would fall under the nonpartisan category.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no problems with her. She looks young. She speaks a little bit like a robot. But, I haven't found anything that she's said that would lead me to believe she's "in over her head."

I think most of us were just comfortable with grizzled veteran Ed Emmett.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It would appear that your friend doesn't know the ship channel history. It was a bayou that has been consistently expanded and dredged over the years to create the ship channel.

For anyone interested in Houston/Ship Channel history, this is the book:

12. Buck Turgidson

It's a Texas Miracle!

The Fed agencies haven't exactly been allowed to do their part either, historically.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This morning I was in the middle of presenting an online training session to employees in Pasadena when they were told to leave the building and go home.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What does a Judge have to do with all this?

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

Nothing except that she looks too young. Boomer mentality by some old ass dudes.

Xenon likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

County Judges are not judicial judges. Think County Commissioners.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I was curious, too, as it seemed odd that a judge would be the point person. But county judges are in charge of emergency operations, so this fits the bill.

Here's an article I found of their actual duties.
    https://abc13.com/politics/what-are-the-duties-as-harris-county-judge/4639186/

18. LonghornFan

Lulz. I'm 4 years older than you, and just barely. Great stuff though

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Why are you giving that chick a hard time? She literally has her hands tied. She has no say in how they are dealing with that mess over there and can’t control the wind.

The only thing she can do is instruct for a evacuation or tell people to shelter in place.

Last thing we want is a panic and the last time Emmitt evacuated Houston over 100 people died.

Xenon likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is good practice for her. She will have more responsibilities in weather related events so this is a good trial run. I would have preferred emmitt but you roll with who is elected. Go Lina!

Xenon likes this.