1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

De'Anthony Melton play sampling video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joxford, Jun 22, 2018.

1. joxford

joxford Member

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's fun to watch. I think he'll fit in great on this team if he chooses to work to stay relevant in this league. Dude just needs to maintain what he's got and add tools one at a time during each offseason. He'll be top notch within a few years.

ApacheWarrior, fattz and Lawlruschang like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Saw this thread on related threads. Bumping it because now we know Melton a little better and it's the slow days of summer. He is a really nice looking prospect. Could pan out to be even better than Patrick Beverley was for us (and I love Bev).

Has a little bit of a weird looking jumpshot, but some of those threes are pretty deep. He's also quick and relentless. You don't always see college guards getting chase-down blocks so often.

BigggReddd, D-rock and seeingredtx like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is there a compilation of his play at summer league somewhere?

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not that I'm aware of, but here's a few full game highlights.

BigggReddd, Haymitch and D-rock like this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

I am a fan and believe he is rotation worth now. His skill set is needed on the main roster. IMO if he were on the squad last year we would be champions today. I don’t want him in the g league at all. He needs burn as a backup playing next to one or two all world players. He is better now than he was in school because his shooting has improved. He works hard and does a lot of little things that pay off on both sides of the court. He doesn’t disappear in games either. He will never be an all world player but he make a difference. IMO his potential is at the same level as an Ariza type play player if not better. With coaching he can help today.

7. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Agreed. I’m sure I’ll get flamed but he reminds me a bit of Donovan Mitchell. Seems he can do a little bit of everything.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

From what little I have seen of him in the summer league intrigues me. It seems he picks on things quite quickly, and is likely to make good progress with experience. Training camp should be really good for him.

9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

MDA doesn't believe in giving rookies many minutes, so we won't see much of him.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun give him too much of a burden, or too hard a time early on.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So excited about this kid.

He looks like a top 5 player in this draft class to me.

Progs and Little Bit like this.
  13. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

comparing him to bev doesn't do him justice defensively...... pat was a tenacious and relentless defender.... it was all guts with pat..... this kid tho is a very cerebral defender..... very active feet and hands but also very smart in his approach...... also you want be getting away with any cross court passes if hes in the game....

it seemed to me that anytime the ball wasn't on point for the other team it ended up in his hands.... I dont know if that's a talent but he just always seems to be in the vicinity to capitalize on any mistakes by the offense.....

I loved Pat's fire and determination but he made a lot of bonehead mistakes on defense.

napalm06 likes this.
  14. jboslett

jboslett Member

I like this kid, a lot, for his athleticism and defensive ability. Offensively, he will need to use his athleticism to contribute in transition. I worry a bit about his offensive skillset in the half court. He isn't a playmaker and, despite his effort and good size as a guard, won't be a huge force on the glass. That leaves shooting as the factor that I believe will determine not only his chance of getting minutes as a rookie, but also his chances of having a career in the NBA. We've seen it already; with this offense the rockets essentially need shooters 1-4. If you can't hit, you won't see the court.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Is Melton going to ask to wear 22? Or will he ask to wear 2 in honor of the beloved Bev? Or 25 in honor of Will Smith?

I still can't believe we got him in the 2nd round. I'd take him in the top 15 especially if he was able to play last year.

D-rock likes this.
  16. bongman

bongman Member

Biggest question with any player that will be getting limited minutes. How efficient/productive are you when you are always brought in cold from the bench?

17. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

HakeemOnlyFan write inane reply post

18. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

MELTing my heart

He's so hot
    He's so hot
    He's so hot
    He's so hot

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He won’t be getting minutes this year. G League til the end of the regular season if we’re in good position and start giving guys rest before a playoff run.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He looks good enough to be our 4th guard right now (from what I've seen). Hopefully that translates into a good training camp so he proves himself to the coaches and players.