1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DC Films] Shazam!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

The thing that sucks about all this, is that DC is a better universe than Marvel.

With the exception of Superman, the characters are way more complex, their back stories are well written, everything. You're talking about a franchise that turned one of the most hated characters in Jason Todd into one of the most loved in Red Hood. DC destroys Marvel in the animated movie verse, I don't understand why they keep flopping on the big screen ever since the Dark Knight, it's almost infuriating. Shazam's a great character, as is Black Adam, hopefully the trailers makes me eat crow.

Jontro and RKREBORN like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Looks to be a very entertaining movie. Will probably check it out.

3. body slam

body slam Member

It looks cheesy good. The best part is its not Superman or Batman but something different. I'll check it out.

For me the problem with DC is their villains are way more interesting the the heroes. Would love to see a Legion of Doom movie.

4. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

A DC movie with colors besides gray, black, and brown? Oh wait, Zack Snider's nowhere to be found.

Invisible Fan, arkoe and body slam like this.
  5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'll watch this one too, I'm glad DC has finally found their footing.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I don't know if they found their footing so much so as they finally, maybe, put their shoes on.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All they have to do is make a coherent movie and everyone will fawn over the effort.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I would even say I enjoy the DC TV shows more than the Marvel Movies. The flash has been really fun to watch and Legends of Tomorrow has been great. The villains are interesting, and the heroes are complex.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'll take anything at this point...

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Zach Levi is the perfect casting for Shazam. Really fits the "child's mind in an adult's body" character.

DC's master plan is coming to fruition!

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

screaming "shazaam" doesn't sound too cool. this superhero should be named skadoosh.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This trailer....um......this movie does nothing for me. Just wow.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The humor feels very Happy Days to me.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Still can't help but shake the feeling of this being some netflix original movie with the budget to match. Looks cheap and generic.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I thought it looked like it would be entertaining. I have always had a little fascination with Captain Marvel (Shazam). Once the most popular comic book character on the planet, but has been mostly irrelevant since the 50s.

Again...its OK for comic book movies to be fun. It may be that this movie skews a little bit younger in terms of audience, and that's OK too.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I had high hopes for this when it was first announced but after seeing the trailer I was extremely disappointed. As someone posted above this is a redux of the Greatest American Hero. The guy playing Shazam does not look the part at all and it's clearly skewed toward a young (preteen/teen) audience. And that's OK I suppose but this is one movie I won't be seeing.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Captain Marvel - First appearance 1939
    Greatest American Hero - First episode 1981

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Part of the trailer was interesting before the super hero showed up. But think they are going to miss on this one. It might be a good kids movie.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I, who mentioned the GAH similarity, was alive and viewing in 1981. Not so much in 1939.

Was Shazam! played for slapstick in 1939? I don't know. My father says it was more serious.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Shazam has been reimagined in the New 52. He’s a lot more of a lighter character which the movie is drawing inspiration from.

DC needs a winner in theatres and this family friendly look will definitely help.

B-Bob likes this.