1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Day after San Bernadino Shootings, Senate Votes to let Suspected Terrorists, Mentally Ill Buy Guns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 4, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Love me some GOP abdication of responsibility.

One nation, under Gun, with liberty and guns for all. Amen.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thoughts and prayers for those hardworking legislators.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

History shows us that when a single political party gets too strong, the power shift eventually stabilizes and swings the other way.

Having said that, is there any single issue that the Republicans look strong on in the future?

I cannot think of a single one.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Would Republicans eventually split into a party for the nuts and party for the more normal conservatives?

1 person likes this.
  5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

They actually voted against the government being able to remove from the citizens of this country their constitutional rights without due process. I think I'm ok with that.

6. Major

Major Member

So we should block refugees from coming into the country because some dumbass terrorist might go through the year-long process, hope to get selected, and get himself registered into the system instead of just jumping the Mexican border and being anonymous. But once we actually suspect you might be involved in terrorism, we should allow you free reign to buy a gun. Sound logic.

1 person likes this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Senate rejects gun control amendments offered following San Bernardino shooting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-in-the-wake-of-the-san-bernardino-shooting/

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If extended background checks on the mentally ill and convicted felons, or denial of AR-15 purchases for known terrorist suspects, are against due process, that's for the courts to decide. Not Chief Justice Wayne LaPierre or Judge Mitch McConnell.

This is how our system works.

I understand that the NRA believes that it truly is better that 10 mass murderers shoot up schools and offices so that some 1 law abiding real american jackhole can use his "modern sporting rifle" to shoot up tree stumps - this is not a wise legislative priority to have however, in any rational universe.

Ironically, modest gun restrictions like this are supported not only ovewhelmingly across the country, but by the vast majority of gun owners and Republicans - except in the GOP-controlled congress. Becuase they are cowards.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Interesting graph, but it looks like they have the headline slightly wrong. It should be "Over 2,000 successful gun purchases by suspected terrorists in the last decade." It seems possible and quite likely to me that some of the suspected terrorists made multiple purchases.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wow. Just wow. The NRA lobby is that strong? I mean, that is totally ridiculous...and I am in the pro-guns camp

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Instead of restricting gun purchasing of the million people on the FBI's list, we could just a monthly body cavity search and random computer seizures.

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Most of the citizens that are denied the purchase of firearms today have been convicted of a crime and relinquished their own rights. That is how our system works.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh how terrible, the Congress didn't decide to strip constitutional rights from people never even charged with a crime....Yet at the same time the same party who whines about this was the same party whining about the constitutional rights of Gitmo detainees (despite the fact that they shouldn't have any being non-citizens). It seems there are some rights that the left is concerned about and some that they aren't. Hypocrisy is never cute.

16. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree, but I think suspected terrorists is different. If you are on a list that take away the freedom to fly, extending that to remove freedom to buy arms isn't that controversial, unless you are completely against the list in the first place.

What I would focus on instead is how to improve the list (less false positive) and to have oversight on the process.

But if you are for the list in general, don't you think it's quite a ridiculous position to not allow suspected terrorists to fly, but yet to allow them to buy arms?

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Hey, at least they're keeping the victims in their prayers.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

...constitutional rights that have been interpreted differently in different eras for the past 200 years. The 2nd Amendment is the farthest thing from black and white as you can get.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was recently upheld as an individual right by the Supreme Court, that settles it until there is another SCOTUS case that rules differently. Given that ruling, it's black and white. The right to keep and bear arms is a right no different than the right to not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment, the right to free speech, or the right to vote.

20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

That's correct and no, it's have not been settle as Bobby like to spew. The last case was very narrowly focused, but whatever. It's a useless discussion with Bobby on this.

Also I would guess that there is a good argument that it's against the Constitution in some way to block someone suspicious, but not convicted, from flying, yet that's exactly what Congress (with great support from the Right) has done and what Americans has accepted. Yet, this large group of the Right in Congress that easily supported removing the freedom to fly from suspicious folks, now said they must be able to buy guns.