1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Bailiff to be Fired

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by lnchan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

As reported by SI and Dallas Morning News...

...a good run couple years back, free fall since...

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Thank God. No more punting from the 35. I just hope we get someone who isn't chicken **** enough kick a FG with 4th and goal on the 1.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Things really fell apart the last couple of years, but as it stands today, he's one of the most successful head coaches in Rice's history.

Removing Todd Graham's one-year stint, Bailiff's winning percentage is the third-highest among Rice coaches since WWII began, and he's just .05 percent behind second place Fred Goldsmith.

And while bowl games are far easier to achieve in modern college football, 2012-2014 is the only time in program history that the Owls have been to bowl games in three straight years.

4. lnchan

We were spoiled by Chris Boswell...

Arizona State just fired their coach... ironic they are the Sun Devils... lol.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He is a special teams guy (was my brother's special teams coach at SWT in the mid-90's...brother was a kicker/punter). Not that it's an excuse...just a likely reason for his tactics.

EDIT: Actually...that is incorrect. He was the DC at SWT during those years. I just remember meeting him when I went to watch my brother play and had it in my head he was the ST coach.

#5 leroy, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Todd Graham's available. BWAHAHAHAHA

Fulgore and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

kevC and mikus like this.
  8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Cautiously optimistic. Can't wait for him to turn the team around and leave us in year 3.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Three good years might be a realistic best-case scenario, and I don't mean that in a snide way.

With three years, at least you would assume that there is a foundation laid that would set things up nicely for his successor. It sure beats the heck of a Todd Graham situation, where he's gone before there's really been a chance to establish himself or three or four years that end up being an abject disaster.

Life in G5 is tough, and the system is set up to make it so. If you have a good coach, losing him after a few seasons is just kind of the circle of life. You just hope that with each successive hire, you have access to a higher level of coaching candidate.

10. Buck Turgidson

Not sure how they could have made a better hire

11. lnchan

Gary Kubiak?

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Please no more conservative play calling. Please.

13. lnchan

His Super Bowl ring says hello.

14. raining threes

With QB's like Elway/Young/Manning he should probably have more rings than he has.