1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Chappelle's new Netflix special

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 26, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right.
    Remember watching an NBA game and not let the phone interrupt you? like someone calling your house?

now the NBA game is competing against text messages and instagram .

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dont know what these so called critics were watching ... but that was a damn good hour of comedy.

RudyTBag, Sajan and arkoe like this.
  3. likestohypeguy

Don't gaf about ppl who are offended, don't gaf about his honks who similarly lose their mind over even the slightest nitpick about his performance. You're both the same to me.

He once was great. He's now good. That's okay, I'll still watch good not great, and let the trannies & his stans fight it out on Twitter. God speed.

TexasTofu and ThatBoyNick like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Funny enough, I didn’t start this thread becuause I was offended, which is what everybody seems to be focusing on, that's definitely not my critique.

Im just a super Chappelle fan who felt this special as a whole was a bit mediocre (for the standards I hold him to at least).

Also, like so many of these types of social political movements, Im finding the backlash groups - aka the “ LOL at anybody offended!!! I’m not offended BRAH!!” type people more annoying and far more plentiful then the people who are actually offended at this point.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No way it was better than either Killing Them Softly or For What It's Worth, c'mon man.

superfob likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

KTS has a couple of all-time Dave moments, but I would rank it 3rd overall. FWIW is #1 for me.

For me KTS Chappelle is an act. An amazing acting job earlier in his career when he was still figuring out how much to cater to the audience vs being himself. This last one is just quintessentially Dave Chappelle. It is who he is, talking about whatever he wants, being himself even if it's corny or unpopular at times.

I'm a huge fan of underlying messages that don't have to be spoken. The message in his last special is not about the people he mentioned. It's about the thread he used to group them together. Brilliant stuff for me (a writer at heart). But I also TOTALLY understand those who watch comedy purely for momentary laughs, and I rewatch KTS all the time.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That stuff about the opioids was pretty insightful. I loved the set.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I question your comedy taste if you can't find humor in the absurd political discourse.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I already said Dave’s my all time favorite.

You move, Jad.

10. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I was referencing your annoyance instead of humor: "Im finding the backlash groups - aka the “ LOL at anybody offended!!! I’m not offended BRAH!!” type people more annoying and far more plentiful then the people who are actually offended at this point."

What I was saying is that I suspect anyone's comedy taste who can't appreciate and find the humor in the discourse of the uptight offended and backlash group ranting away back and forth in poor discourse all wanting to shout out their opinions.

Similar to the discourse going on right now between Taylor Swift fans and Tool fans. Similar to vegans going on their rants, or flat earthers. As a spectator how can you not find the humor? Lighten up bro, don't get annoyed, appreciate what you're witnessing... what a time to be alive.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Like another poster mentioned, those topics are all really low hanging fruit, they a dead horses that have been beaten for years, I just don’t find railing on those things funny or shocking anymore. More so, Chappelle has already specifically covered the majority of the topics in his previous specials.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a sublime special. Masterwork of joke-writing.

If you love the actual craft of comedy, this special was for you. Dave has improved by leaps and bounds from his early days.

Aside from perhaps the genius of Norm MacDonald, when it comes to writing everyone else is just trying to catch up.

jcf likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the 99ers like Dave

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I must have been grumpy or something the first time because I really enjoyed it tonight -- epilogue is good too.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I can enjoy comedy; even when it offends me, at times. We can't have comedy without offending someone.

Watch this. THIS was folks not giving a damn about being "offended."

KingCheetah and jcf like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I love these old roasts Don Rickles was the king.

Roscoe Arbuckle and RudyTBag like this.
  17. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

ya i enjoyed this so much more then the actual special. special still good tho :)

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Critics don’t represent the audience as a whole. In fact...they are increasingly distancing themselves from audiences as a whole.

Cold Hard and Rocket River like this.
  19. Zergling

Zergling Member

He really needs to revive Chappelle's show on Netflix.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Definitely his weakest work ever. But he is having so many specials now, he's not gonna keep up the consistency. He was still great when I saw him live last year