1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dave Chappelle's new Netflix special

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 26, 2019.

1. likestohypeguy

Actually I think more than the bulk & age, is that smoked out voice is hard to listen to. Gravel does not play well with high pitched voices.

Watched it last night. Could have used a half dozen fewer walk offs, where he punctuates a line by knocking his knee with the mic, bends over laughing and turns and walks up the stairs. That used to work, when everyone was dying, he couldn't go on anyway until noise dies down. This kind of begged the audience to react & fill. Started getting a little awkward.

The concepts and jokes are good though, I was surprised, and had me laughing. It's a + overall.

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

This is where Chappelle is at his best, long form story telling. He needed his special to be more like this.

TexasTofu and marks0223 like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I enjoyed it more than the other 2 Netflix specials.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Really the only thing I didn't like was I spent an hour wondering why he was wearing a jumpsuit.

5. likestohypeguy

Yeah that was weird too.

6. astros123

astros123 Member

lol @ all the people getting butthurt about his gay/racist jokes on twitter. Hes David fkin Chappelle. So many fruitcakes in society now.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’m dying. “Famous French actor”

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dave has been at his peak for around twenty years and people still want classic Dave.

He brought his wacky voice from time to time but he's 46. It would be like urkel doing the same thing at thirty.

Appreciate his growth as an artist or send him to the trash heap like Chris Tucker or Martin Lawrence...

I was curious and read the commentary on his last show. So much outrage. I guess this is predictable. He lined up all the sacred cows and dared people to silence him. Some of these commentators have their heads so far up their orifice that they assume people who love Dave will embolden celebrity pedos and trans bashers. Dave is not the problem. Men like Epstein, once considered a steward of industries, are.

I suspect the target for these articles are the younger 20 or below generation who has no real power and needs social media, with it's blunt tool of public shaming, to force an opinion.

I think trans people have an incredibly tough life but I'm not going to assume Dave's words will make it harder nor easier. We all grew up in different generations with different sensibilities. **** you for telling me what I can't laugh at. Make a difference by doing rather than shaming. That's textbook tribal negative reinforcement, one of the most regressive and oppressive societal tools we inflict upon each other.

#48 Invisible Fan, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

not true. Chappelle did a show at the old Verizon that was never recorded a few years ago

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

“You don’t have three dollars!?!?!” “How are we alive dad???” I had tears running down my face!

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

not digging this new casual style of show that aziz and chappelle just came out with

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I agree with you here but I do see a point where Dave is basically choosing to go after the low hanging fruit here, people who are often maligned and have significant problems. It's pretty damn easy to make jokes about gays, trans, and meth heads without danger of actual repercussions. So in that sense I wish Dave would step it up with some really edgy **** in taking on some heavyweights in society.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I meant take your cell phone, I went to his last show at the punchline in San Francisco a few years ago.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Mmhmm...

K mf G likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Use your words Rosco.

[​IMG]

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Age, kiddo.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

For me, it was possibly his second best one ever. If you don't believe in the idea that every thing can be made fun of, then you probably won't like it.

It's a tribute to the ever-receding fantasy of free speech in the world, and it was the perfect time in history to publish the performance. The technology to dilute and manipulate speech is in full stride (without the need to actually silence anyone), and he chose to disrupt that stream. Public figures are deeply aware of the tools being used to fully shape public discourse, and most of them use it instead of calling it out.

He knows exactly what he's doing. Anyone with an ounce of EQ can see that he has absolutely no anger or hatred towards the groups and people he mentioned. They are just the perfect subjects of an idea.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look, people are sensitive and dumber now than ever.

The Information Age has made people overly sensitive and mob like. The individualism is gone, people are lemmings.

You hear people fall off cliffs taking selfies. No animals are that stupid, you don't see dogs or horses jumping doing that.

People hating on Chappelle is not a criticism of a certain group, it just shows the human race got dumber.

Thank GOD, I grew up in the 90s when things were real.

Superior Intellect

K mf G likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think people are just more sensitive because they have less experience saying real, honest, conflicting things to each other face to face.

We used to walk up to strangers who we found attractive and asked them out. If you couldn't do that, your friends would train your ass up till you could. If you ever got rejected, some would laugh about it, some would give you a pat on the back. These things are so alien to the younger crowd. My nephew tells me that if you approach someone without having previously engaged with them on social media, you're either a superhero or a creep.

That's crazy man. I feel bad that they won't get to experience those moments. Those moments are the fabric of society. Watching videos and social media posts about it is just not the same.