1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Chappelle's new Netflix special

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 26, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

:(

Favorite comedian of all time just dropped a very mediocre special, I'm left with a feeling of sadness brehs.

2. Buck Turgidson

It's all good. I spent a few hours last week listening to a bunch of his old stuff, just keep laughing.

eta:

#2 Buck Turgidson, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've watched most of it and think it's pretty great.
    Yes, it might be a bit more offensive, but like he has mentioned before that these jokes are usually very funny if they are not making fun of you.

5. Fantasma Negro

I only saw the teaser last week and already forgot the release date. I'll save it for the weekend, put I'm pumped about it!!!

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Watched it last night. To me there wasn't any groundbreaking jokes, and it sometimes felt like he went for shock value over insightful comedy in certain parts.

Does feel like he's slipping a little. Still better than most comics stuff though.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Saw it last night and I liked it a lot, I thought it was better than his previous netflix specials.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Interesting to see different opinions.

Something that specifically disappointed me, is that he covered a lot of the same topics in a familiar fashion in his previous stand ups, and most importantly I felt like none were executed better then before.

Glad you guys are liking it though!

tierre_brown likes this.
  9. likestohypeguy

Dave Chappelle is a dish best served young, wiry, and energetic.

It's okay, don't feel sad. I'm grateful for and will continue enjoying his prime material for years to come.

jboslett and tierre_brown like this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The video on demand model has been really great for comedians. And Netflix and its competitors has been throwing cash everywhere to get content. Can't blame him too much for rushing to put out some product and hoover up a bunch more money. Jim Gaffigan got $30 million for jumping to Amazon for one special. Plus probably some more from the untuckit people. Chappelle got $20 million for this one. I doubt they're saying to themselves, "no, this joke isn't funny enough to take $20 million from Netflix."

Invisible Fan, Jontro and CometsWin like this.
  11. theimpossibles1

Better not give him any more money or he might run off to Africa.

SuraGotMadHops and Jontro like this.
  12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

His last three "specials" have all had different concepts, different moods, different feels. That's got to be by design—He's not just winging it up there. This new one is much more confrontational, more defensive, more in-your-face edgy. About half of it I laughed my ass off at and the other half I just listened to and tried to understand where he was coming from. Some of it is uncomfortable in a Bill Hicks kind of way. In fact, it's a very Bill Hicks kind of special, I thought—although he never went full Goat Boy, thank God. It's not the half-hour Chappelle of old, I'll grant you that. But I like that he's trying different things, just going where his instincts or feelings tell him to go. I enjoyed it and I hope to see much more from him.

Invisible Fan and peleincubus like this.
  13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I enjoyed it. Can see where others would say he's slipping. I honestly think it's tough to come up with enough material for a 5 minute comedy bit that's unique and funny. In a musical sense, think of bands like Fastball and all the other one hit wonders who have one song that is their legacy. Chappelle has had comedy bits ranging for an hour that are funny, unique in their delivery and insightful. Multiple albums of good songs if you will. I think this recent one are the last of his unique material he's used in his tours that is a rehash of topics he's already discussed. The jokes he would have used in his first three specials if they were good enough to be told during his first three specials. Not his best but still good enough for a fourth one hour special.

I think in a sense the hiatus he took before resuming comedy whet the appetite of his fans for more but also gave him roughly a decade to come up with unique material worth at least 4 hours of discussion. And considering some of the material comedians pump out now that gets stale 20 minutes in, that's quite a compliment to pay to Chappelle that even his lesser jokes that cover similar topics he's discussed before are still pretty good and have replay value.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I enjoyed it. Some of the bits were the same from his fairly recent Houston show but that’s to be expected.

His delivery and timing is just so good.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I liked it. I can already see headlines today about how Chappelle called Jackson accusers liars. He was spot on when he did that impression about "us".

Invisible Fan and Victorious like this.
  16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Same jokes he did in Houston

cwebbster likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers agree

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Jontro likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

All the comedians do that
    They keep your cell phones for a reason. Similar to not spoiling a movie.
    It would also be too hard to make new jokes for every city

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Did you fart or something Tinny?