1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni doesn’t know when to call timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 28, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

So he is like Bob O'Brien? :D

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Last minutes were tragic tonight, we're up, PJ has the ball, we have still two timoeuts to take the ball away from a meh shooter, nothing...we got lucky James got the rebound there...but the last play was atrocious, 28 seconds left, 25 seconds literally thrown in the toilet with the guys out there clearly gassed and not abe to do **** -> died with two timeouts left...i mean, he called one after we fouled them with one second to go but, ugh...

Invisible Fan and PeterKingX like this.
  3. pippsux

pippsux Member

Guys I have to vent.....
    MDA is a bad clueless coach. Im watching this guy called Dinwiddie go off and not one time one time do u call a TO????? or get the ball out of his hand????

What is he being paid for if Harden is coaching this team? Harden has to tell players where to go, where they are supposed to be? What they are supposed to do? I hate this guy with a passion and I accept now finally that Harden is the coach of this team. I just hope he doesn't run down because what is being asked of him is too much.

Pls somebody tell me why Keith Jones is still on payroll? How does Gordon come back after missing many games and as soon as he comes back he is injured again??? If I'm the owner and I see that.... I'm sorry Im firing the training staff.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same thing this game
    okc goes on a run
    Mike doesn’t call time out

hakeem94 and PeterKingX like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

MDA has got to be one of the worst Xs and Os coach in the league. He is great at designing systems but he always gets outcoached by opponents in games. How tf do you lose a 20 pt lead without soing anything?

bro2044, PeterKingX and TheRealAllpro like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Our team lacks consistent intelligence on the floor - it is the players folks.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This loss is completely on MDA

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Sometimes you need to call timeouts to disrupt the rhythm of the other team when they are on a roll. MDA doesnt do that he lets the team go when they are making mistakes thing they will correct them

bro2044 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

There is a reason that Popovich used to beat Mike's Suns in the playoffs season after season.

Pops used to control the game and tempo with his timeout to keep Mike's high offense team under control.

OTOH Mike wasnt good at controlling the game in his favor with his timeouts.

This is not something new.

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Lose 22+ pts lead in one quarter.

What offense master MDA is.

11. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

12. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

This is on MDA.

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  13. rockets13champs

If u wanna complain about defense learn how to spell it. Sometimes it’s just the refs

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nope. He sucks at it. Costs us nearly every game. Embarrassing coaching.

tinman likes this.
  15. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Again I say this a lot Coach has to take control of these games. We give up way to many leads. Up 22 at half when OKC started their run a time out was needed toregroup and get the o going in right direction. If starters not responding sit them. Coach is way too player friendly. Do your job coach the team. Every contender in the league knows the Rockets will let you back in games. These guys have tolearn to step on the other teams throats.

hakeem94 and arabrocket like this.
  16. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

This game made it clear that this team has no heart and is badly managed. Another inexplicable defeat. Winning in our house for 26 points ...

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Another poor coaching game.

tinman likes this.
  18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

No it’s not, it is on the coach.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good points above, but what I'd add is basketball is so much a game of "momentum." If the momentum is not controlled it can hit you like a tsunami and that's exactly what happened in the 3rd Qtr. MDA should have called several TOs and James/Chris should have settled everyone down as well. It was a team collapse and if we don't get a handle on these situations it will be our down fall in the second half and play-offs.

Second thing I'd add is lack "killer instinct" is holding us back. MDA talks about the natural tendency to relax when you have a big lead--f__k that! Drive the damn ball down their throats, crush their souls, and then play the bench when you're up by 30 with 5 mins to play.

We have to do a better job of controlling the game's MO and finishing strong. This one really hurt.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He's Andy Reid

tinman likes this.