1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Tyler White

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Jun 22, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A good question...but, IMO, not enough of a reason to keep him once Correa and Diaz are back.

everyday eddie and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  2. raining threes

Diaz

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

No not saying that he may have all the hrs that bagwell had in the majors but bagwells hr totals in the minors weren't that great 7 seasons 10hrs
    Minors (7 seasons) just saying you never know what power numbers can come.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bagwel001jef

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What you posted, however, is that right now Straw has HR power. He doesn't. There is no evidence that he has HR power now.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Rather he has shown it as of now not a lot but neither did a lot of major league players time will tell.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

If straw can get on base near 40% of the time then who gives a f about his power???

7. HTown2017Champs

But he does have inside-the-park HR potential. :)

8. Buck Turgidson

Uh....Bagwell played all of 212 games in the minors: went from Rookie ball to A ball the year he was drafted, spent his 2nd year in AA, and was in the Majors winning ROY in his 3rd year of pro ball. Not sure what you're looking at, but it's wrong.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Tyler White leaves 2 more on base with a strikeout. Shameful production this season. I can’t imagine a scenario where he is still with the Astros organization 10 days from now. I’m sure Luhnow has already offered him up for scraps, but alas no takers, apparently. My hopes for this month are to get Correa and Díaz back, release White and trade for Bumgarner. Do it Luhnow!

10. bob0601

bob0601 Member

ENOUGH WITH THIS GUY ALREADY!!!

I’ve tried to be as patient as possible, holding on to some slimmer of hope that maybe he’d get it going and start to produce like he did last yr. But he continues to play like absolute garbage!

He is my LEAST FAVORITE ASTRO OF ALL TIME!! (Kaz Matsui being 2nd) and I dream of the day he will no longer be wearing an Astros uniform.

The guy waddles around when he runs, plays mediocre defense, and has an ugly uppercut swing producing some of the poorest numbers I’ve ever seen through this many at bats! “But he works the count and gets walks” So freaking what! At some point you have to start moving runners over/driving in runs!

Mark my words, he’ll be lucky to even be on some Korean team in a few years!

#90 bob0601, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It isn't that long ago that Beltran was the DH.

12. bob0601

bob0601 Member

Carlos Beltran 2017 through 197 ABs:

Avg: .249
    R: 29
    H: 49
    HR: 8
    2B: 12
    RBI: 24
    OBP: .297
    OPS .728

Tyler White 2019 through 197 ABs:

Avg: .223
    R: 15
    H: 44
    HR: 3
    2B: 14
    RBI:16
    OBP: .325
    OPS: .665

YEAH....2017 Carlos Beltran was at least producing way more though 197 ABs than Tyler White. Thats HOW BAD Tyler White has been this season!

#92 bob0601, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cherries must be tasting good this time of year.

14. SuraGotMadHops

Diaz cant get healthy fast enough. It's unreal the way Tyler can just kill an inning. His strikeout (at ball 4) with only one out and 2 on in the 2nd inning last night changed the dynamic of the whole game. I don't want to freakin see him anymore. I feel like Joe Girardi when people kept asking him why he kept playing Chris Carter at 1B, "He's what we have, what can I do?"

15. HTown2017Champs

And of course, Beltran also provided a lot of mentoring and leadership to the team, which without it possibly means no WS win. And one of those homers was part of the Memorial Day Miracle at Target Field.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I get all the hate on Tyler White, but he's not my biggest concern with our offense. We have a replacement for him once Diaz gets healthy. My biggest concern is our former MVP is a shell of himself. The Astros paid Altuve after two seasons with an OPS over .925. His OPS this year is 200 points below his MVP season. I thought the contract the Astros gave him was a good contract because it ended at age 34. Now, this looks like a giant albatros. He has an OPS+ of 103. We are paying an average MLB hitter almost 150 million the next 5 seasons. Letting him play on that bad knee last year might have ruined his career and greatly shortened our championship window.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  17. chrish23

chrish23 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Altuve comments are a bit unfair. The guy was playing extremely well before his injury last year and he's clearly not right this year. He will get it back. I'm sure of it.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can not believe that .. you ... just ... went... there.

Responding to this thread is so easy. All you had to do is say ... Tyler White is a fat f*ck who s*cks. Easy, peasy. But no ... you had to go there.

CometsWin likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think it’s fair to be concerned about Altuve, but I can’t imagine that he won’t come out of this. Still, it’s fair to be concerned. He’s WAY way off of his usual game and has been for a while. At some point you have to worry a little. But he’s Jose Altuve, come on! That guy is going to bounce back.

20. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

White has been frustrating and depressing to watch at the plate, like Reddick was last year. Swings at balls off the strike zone, and doesn't swing at strikes down the middle.