1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Current Cap situation of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Aug 29, 2008.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Ok I have the total salaries at $68,550,292 + Mike Harris (non-guaranteed? at I don't know what amount). This is assuming that Butler and Reed don't count as I heard in an interview with Morey some time ago. The luxury tax is at $71.150 million. That leaves $2,599,708 under the tax plus Steve Francis ($2,634,480) and Luther Head ($1,962,378) on expiring deals. That is a total of $7,196,566. We can definitely get a good player at the deadline for that amount.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

I'm not as good as some guys with the cap, so can anyone confirm these estimates?

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A few points:

- Assuming your link is accurate, then Reed and Butler do indeed count.

- If they resign Landry, he'll also add to the payroll.

- Dorsey will also add to the payroll once he's signed.

- Money under the luxury tax is different than money under the cap. It doesn't help you acquire players. In other works, you can't combine Francis and Head's salaries with the amount under the cap to acquire a higher priced player. If you trade Francis and Head, then the most that you can receive in return is 125% of their outgoing salaries.

3. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I would assume that Reed and Butler would count, but there was an interview where Morey said that Butler did not count. I remember that for sure. I can only imagine that maybe we bought Butler and Reed out instead of just releasing them allowing us to absorb the contract all in one year.

If Landry is resigned then he + Deke + Dorsey would almost certainly put us right at the tax.

I was using the 125% rule + Francis + Head to factor in the amount of salary we could take back. With the above said, we could probably only get a player with their combined salaries ($4,596,858). Even still that could be a pretty decent player.

4. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I read on the BBS sometime ago that Reed and Butlers contract count this year also does anyone know how much harris's contract is even though its not guaranteed

5. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

and also ron artest is a free agent next year, so you have to watch out for that, thats the reason why he may be lowering the salery cap

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Jackie Butler does NOT count against the salary cap or the luxury tax this season. The Rockets had a TEAM option on him for 2008-09. When they waived him last season, they obviously did not pick up that option.

Justin Reed DOES count against the salary cap and the luxury tax this season. Reed had a PLAYER option for 2008-09. Obviously, he chose to exercise that option (and, thus, get paid) when the Rockets waived him last season.

Assuming that he makes the final roster, Mike Harris is set to make $711,517 next season. This is the league minimum for second-year players. As an aside, this is the same amount that Dikembe Mutombo would count against the salary cap and the luxury tax if he re-signs for the 10+ year veteran's minimum of $1,262,275. The league picks up the rest of the tab. However, if Mutombo demands even $1 more than the minimum, then his full salary counts towards the salary cap and the luxury tax. This is why Morey is eager to keep Deke for the league minimum.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Interesting... according to your link:

Bibby, Kidd, Marbury, Iverson, Devin Harris, Chris Paul, Andre Miller, Deron Williams, Damon Stoudamire, and Francis are in the last year of their contract. Kind of a who's who of PGs.

Steve Nash has a team option for next year.

Of those Harris, Paul, Williams, and Nash are likely to be resigned.

However it would not surprise me to see Bibby, Kidd, Marbury, Iverson, and Miller traded at the deadline (if their teams are struggling) or not resigned in the offseason.

Of those 5 Kidd or Miller would be the best fit to dish and hit the open shot, Bibby I think could also fit in well. Someone is going to get Marbury for a song, not us, and we have enough scorers so no Iverson.

It leaves a lot of options though for a team with a PG weakness like the Rockets.

I am sure Morey is licking his chops....

8. Lima Time

Lima Time Rookie

Bibby, Marbury, and Kidd wouldn't even be upgrades to this team. Kidd can hit the open shot? Miller shouldn't even be on that list because the 76ers are playoff bound once again this year. We don't need Iverson.

9. The Hungarian Rocket

IMO Kidd would be an upgrade but the Mavs won't trade him to the Rockets...

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Chris Paul already signed an extension. Get rid of that pipe dream. Best PG in the game.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that info is inaccurate. Chris Paul and Deron Williams just signed long-term extensions last month; and Devin Harris is in the middle of a long-term deal that he signed a couple of summers ago while with the Mavs.

Of the other PGs listed above (other than Francis), the only one who'd be somewhat likely to take a paycut and who would fit into the Rockets' scheme would be Bibby. Still, he is a shell of his former self. His shooting percentages have fallen off the last two years. He's lost a little of his quickness. But he can still contribute on a contending team and understands Adelman's offense as well as anyone.

What would the Rockets trade for Kidd? He makes over $21M this season. It would take either T-Mac or half the Rockets' roster to get Kidd. I'm going to continue to work on my assumption that Rafer Alston and Shane Battier (who would be the starting point of any 5-6 player combination that would be required in any deal to feasibly get Kidd) would be better to have than just Jason Kidd. Let alone having to also trade away several other guys out of Luis Scola, Steve Francis, Luther Head, Chuck Hayes or (if later in the season) Brent Barry, just to make salaries match.

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Kidd would be a downgrade. Miller don't fit, can't shoot the 3.

13. joesr

joesr Member

Can you say no depth?

Why do people not give Rafer credit? Last year he was forced to be another scorer especially if Yao or TMac were off the court or even worse both. They dude is a good dribbler, a good defender, he has attitude and with a legitimate 3rd scorer in Ron all coach has to implement in Rafer is to become more of a playmaker and up his assist this year. (not to mention his assist to turnover ratio is pretty decent already)

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

That was my point.

I have always thought that Rafer is drastically underappreciated on this BBS. He is a solid--though not spectacular--point guard.

15. sparky

sparky Member

Amen to both of you. It is amazing how people on this board will crucify some of are players on a dime. Luther Head case and point. The dude is owned by Utah, but is well above average for the money throughout the year. Yet on this board he is public enemy number 1.

That is why I am glad that Morey makes the trades and the popular opinion on this board doesn't.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Me too, and after his 2nd consecutive playoff choke job, I wouldn't be surprised if Morey trades Luther.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just throwing out some thoughts guys. Agreed about trading for Kidd ain't going to happen. My thoughts about the guys I mentioned was picking them up in the offseason. Seems like Kidd, Bibby, Miller, etc. might take a paycut given that they're best years are behind them and maybe just want a ring.

Honestly would Kidd coming here next season for a cap friendly salary suprise you? Agreed he's not great at shooting the 3, but he also does not need to score and he can obviously still dish the rock. Would be a great fit IMO.

Also am in agreement that Alston is underated. Good analysis that he was asked to score too much last year and that's not his game. This season should end the debate about whether or not he is a worthy PG. There are plenty of guys on this team that can score. Injuries withstanding he should not have to be one of them.

18. killer instinct

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like a job for Rafer ... if the successful candidate ... ah hell, why introduce logic to this thread? :confused:

we need an all-star at every position or doom!