1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban admits to Tanking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DFWRocket, May 17, 2017.

?

When is it okay to purposely lose games?

1. It's always ok to tank for a better future

2. It's Okay to tank once you've been eliminated from playoff contention

3. It's never okay because people paid money to see the stars play and the team to win games

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vince

vince Member

I like the European soccer model, bottom teams get booted out of Division 1 and get sent to Division II.

That’s quite a reward for sucking and not fielding a competitor. Imagine bottom dweller teams needing to actually give a darn about winning.

RayRay10, hvic and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

The Browns would've been out of the NFL for a while now

BigShasta and RasaqBoi like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Did you cringe at least a little typing that? Haha.

Daddy Long Legs and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Cuban should get fined 500k-1million for that comment.

Admitting to tank is pretty crazy.

Also if you guys think the NBA Lottery ping pong balls are real, must be crazy. They know how to work that system too.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cuban is desperate for talent.... as we were years ago before Harden,CP and Howard.

It is really cringeworthy to worry about what the Mavs are worrying about.

ghettocheeze, BigShasta and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea there rebuilding after the 11 championship. If they were smart they try to trade maybe Mathews plus that 2nd to maybe i dont know Utah, they could use that 13th pick, and Utah in win now mode. I say Bagley and Knox could be 2 kids that work well with Dennis Smith for a rebuild. Bagley(Dirk Replacement) gonna be the next bosh like, and Knox is like a Tobias Harris/Paul George hybrid lite player and could be big boost off the bench.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Once Dirk reached 35, it was time to consider a graceful exit strategy. Not right away, but Mavericks needed to start planning 3-5 years ahead.

Sure, Dirk may have a lot left in the tank and have the desire to play, but his ability to lead a team back to championship contention was over like 5 years ago. Mavericks have been knocked out of the first round 3 consecutive times since 2013 always as a bottom seed 6th, 7th, or 8th. This kind of treading mediocrity is what hurts a franchise in the long run.

Mavericks have been delaying the inevitable because Cuban feels he owes Dirk a lot for being the greatest player in franchise history and winning its first championship.

I'm fine with that, but the problem is Cuban overreached for 2nd tier guys like Parsons, Matthews, Barnes, and even the Jordan fiasco. These are role players locked into franchise player type of money. This kind of shortsightedness has set the franchise backwards for at least 5 years.

A smarter GM would have recognized the need to honor Dirk and let him leave at his choosing while also planning for the future by not locking up cap space on these non-franchise players.

The best rebuild is one that is swift and decisive in purpose and execution.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What Danny Ainge did has been brutally effective. I'm not sure how it goes with players.

I dunno. The book for recruiting players is changing. Houston is a destination city, but it hasn't always been the case.

Dallas is still not.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It really is sad that Dirk is wasting the last precious years he has in Dallas at this point. I understand Cuban wants to tank. It isn't a terrible idea. They are a couple players away from being 8th seed talent, but to let Dirk waste is depressing. However......I love watching the Mavs suck. I love that Cuban is just miserable. Tanking.. Sexual Assault scandal.... Bad Contracts... any MFFL?

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Automate the tanking by re-signing Chandler Parsons to a super Max deal and soon after tweet a pic of himself and Chandler together at a club to Adam Silver.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Do you want league parity or not?

If you prefer 2-3 teams way above the rest then you should be against tanking. But if you want a lot of evenly powered teams then you shouldn't be against tanking.

If a sucky team always tries its hardest to win games then they will never get better will be stuck on the mmediocrity treadmill.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

13. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

Tanking is progression for some NBA teams.

14. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Rofl. This is but a taste of what's coming for him down the track.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

This is a slap on the wrist. They should've made them forfeit picks that they're tanking for.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Cuban's comments today on the former CEO are really troubling......

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was wondering how much the league would fine him. Ouch! While teams tanking is not an uncommon practice, I always thought there was an unwritten rule that you don't admit to what you are obviously doing.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member