1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covington's block party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

He's had two 4 block games in a row followed up by two 3 block games, making it 14 blocks in 4 games. That must be a record for a wing!! To have a wing who can block shots again is a breath of fresh air, since he can actually switch on centers and just straight up take the challenge...AT THE RIM! I don't think we've had a guy like this since Battier, but he was a weakside blocker and more methodical. His defense is like a combination of Ariza, Battier and maybe some Luc as well.

Nice article about it:

burlesk, dachuda86, quikkag and 12 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dwert Covington.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's like Clint shrunk and can hit 3's.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is quite simply on a different plane of existence than Clint.

It isn’t just fit. He is a far superior talent on both ends.

naldodiaz, D-rock, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

defensively his IQ, anticipation time, and physical tools (length/hands) are all ultra elite

offensively i wish he would stop jacking up 3's and make the extra pass though

6. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Those of you who remember Shawn Marion will see a lot of similarities with Covington. I will say Covington is a better post defender. Also, with big men in the post being extinct, RoCo's lack of size is less of a disadvantage.

jiggyfly, D-rock, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think this will come with time. My guess is that Mike told him to just jack up shots and not be shy. The way Mike coaches, he just wants to give the player confidence so he isn't thinking out there in the court and rather just executing. I think with more practices and more familiarity with the system, he will likely get better at picking his spots rather than just hoisting them up. He has a high IQ so I am sure he will recognize to make better reads on that.

There have been too many times that he tends to want to cut through the paint rather than setting up outside which also can cause spacing issues. I get that our system is "simple" but there are habits that you have to develop as a player to fully be integrated into our system.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Shawn was so much more athletic and could run the break beautifully. Defensively though, I definitely agree with you. Offensively, despite his ugly ass shot (lol), Shawn was a little better there.

D-rock and Entropy like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

Block Covington

naldodiaz and D-rock like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I want him to be a black hole if he can hit close to 35 percent or more. Passing up open shots bogs down our offense and usually creates even worse shots.

#10 rockbox, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Remlap, xtruroyaltyx, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I simply don't remember RoCo having this standing reach. Maybe he still doesn't and just has amazing anticipation, etc.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Asian Sensation

I don’t think you remember the Matrix. They’re not similar at all. The only thing similar is their ability to guard the post in D’Antonis system. Offensively they’re polar opposites. Marion was a beast on the boards and ran like a gazelle in the open court. His second jump was second to none. His agility and athleticism allowed him to guard spots 1-5.

I’m loving the RoCo trade also but let’s not get carried away. Marion is a legit HOF candidate and will likely get in next year or year after.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it's so nice to have another all nba defender in your lineup.

D-rock likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah if open just shoot. passing or driving usually leads to turnovers/opponent steals, missed/blocked layups, and hurried/worse shots

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

RoCo was drafted because of his physical attributes. He just looked lost while he was on the rockets, and was too timid to shoot. I honestly think he had his Robert Horry moment when he was released. If you are going to fail, go down shooting and playing hard. Hinkie gave him a great opportunity in Philly since there were no expectations when he got there and plenty of playing time. Once he got his confidence, he was golden.

Actually RoCo reminds me a lot of Horry. Long active shooter than plays his role.

16. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

Unfortunately, he went undrafted! Either way, the Rockets saw his potential early on.

D-rock likes this.
  17. noppeper

noppeper Member

The white Russian Kirilenko.

D-rock likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean he always had a better than average wingspan for his height. But his draft combine measurements had him at 6'7. Again, granted a near 8'11 standing reach, which for a legit wing, not a PF/C type, is great.

But he WASN'T drafted. He wasn't drafted because of his physical attributes. He WASN'T drafted at all. But that's neither here nor there. People can get overlooked.

My comment was less about his shooting, or looking lost, or whatever.

He simply looks MUCH taller/longer out there than I remember - both with Houston and with Philly. Didn't really pay a ton of attention with Minny.

Or to simplify it further, his blocks #s look less surprising when you see something like the block/foul on Robinson last night... cause its not like "wow, look at this little dude blocking shots!" but rather, that's a long dude.

It may also have something to do with the small ball in general. Jeff Green also looks HUGE out there to me, lol.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

RoCo was also literally a toothpick when he was here so being able to add strength to his lengthy frame has significantly helped him

jiggyfly, Bo6 and JayZ750 like this.
  20. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

RoCo Mutumbo

Cmon guys, Im trying to make this a thing ^

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.