1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cover Songs that are Better Than the original

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This is not better than the original. The original is an iconic 80s alternative track that might be one of the best ever made (80s alt)...but I think this is a fantastic effort that definitely deserves mention...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Not a cover, but a sample. Was listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees, and the song “Happy House” comes on, and I recognized it immediately. I had no idea this riff was the sample in the dance song the Rockets used for their pregame intros in the 90s.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Never heard that before...great cover...

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just heard this on a commercial and I think the Spinners did it slightly better than Frankie Valli. So smooth. This is one of those songs you haven't heard in years then "oh damn, I forgot about that one!"

Commodore likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. This channel is awesome. I have a friend who loves Dolly Parton and lives in the Middle Ages -- I'm sure they'll appreciate this. :D

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe not better, but still not bad. The original is one of my favorite songs.

8. Buck Turgidson

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Siousxie sued Capella and won
    she get's a percentage of the licensing fee's every time a stadium played that song.

man I had a crush on her when I was a kid
    guitarist John McGeoch came up with that riff - he was considered a highly influential guitarist in alternative music - dude was really good - RIP

10. Patience

Amazing that riff can be so melancholy and haunting in the original song, but can be transformed into an upbeat dance tune.

Needless to say, I like the original song better (happy Rockets association notwithstanding).

I always liked the song “Kiss Them for Me” and had it in my iTunes rotation, but I only just recently went back and listened to a lot of the older classic Siouxsie and the Banshees songs. (Nice thing about WFH!) I was impressed how good and how varied the songs are.

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

12. Buck Turgidson

When I Awoke the Dire Wolf..600lbs of sin...was sitting at my window all I said was "Come On In"

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for the reminder on this, I recall tying this together at some point but unfortunately forgetting about this (I also agree with you other than the Rockets tie in on feeling/memories/upbeat - I definitely prefer original too, they definitely had a great sound). I mean not so much forgot them/song but I switch rotation on bands of 70s-90s ... Anyway thanks for the the reminder on Siouxsie and the Banshees and on how versatile their music was.

#153 CCity Zero, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Patience likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

15. Patience

I love their cover of “Orion” too.

CCity Zero and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Wow, this is amazing, I love original but I watched this all the way through to see how they'd pull it off and it didn't disappoint, definitely will need to listen to more of their songs.

JumpMan likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

They're pretty damn fun, the self-titled album is a good place to start.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Checking out now, thanks so much for suggestion! And also for sharing the other cover too, I was really impressed with their versions of both. Like on some covers if it doesn't work, I'll just go back to original but they're really talented and deserve the time.

Edit - And their original music is great too. Thanks again! Going to have their music in rotation for sure.

#158 CCity Zero, Aug 15, 2020
  19. Buck Turgidson

That cover of Battery is not their best, but I just love that song, in any form. Probably in my top-5 of Metallica tunes.

eta: I will say that their version of Stairway to Heaven is the only version of Stairway to Heaven I really need to hear for a long time, heard the original just a few too many times.

#159 Buck Turgidson, Aug 15, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, definitely agree with you, I'm also probably biased on it being Metallica too, I also really like that song a lot as well. Your recommendation was spot-on though, their other music is excellent.

I honestly have a hard time finding newer artists I'll follow after leaving 70s-90s artists that are still making new music etc., so I'm glad you suggested them.