1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

How many times have Rockets fans laughed at Nick Anderson?

bloodwings19 likes this.
  2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

It was the best season in 34 years and Houston has great recruits coming in and a new arena in December. There will be more heart-stopping and heartbreaking Marches to come and maybe a shot at a championship. I think Fabian White will become an elite forward and now he has tournament experience. Future is bright.

Rob Gray is a legend and he had the team 3 seconds from the Sweet Sixteen. To me, he's the basketball Case Keenum because he helped revive a listless program. Hope he gets an opportunity to prove himself in the NBA.

eman likes this.
  3. eman

eman Contributing Member

The UH program is getting better every year under Sampson. They’ll be better next year. Go Coogs!

dc rock likes this.
  4. AB423

AB423 Member

Refs kept Michigan in that game. Michigan's offense was **** and couldn't score crap and got bailed out with ticky tack calls.

Tomstro and dc rock like this.
  5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Houston would not have come close to winning tonight without Devin Davis. It was a great season - I enjoyed following along with my family and friends who are alumni. No reason not to be optimistic

Mr. Dominant likes this.
  6. Aware

Aware Member

Albert ****ing Pujols.
    Thats what it felt like.

It sucks but it really proud of how well those guys represented our school. Very excited for the future with Sampson at the helm and the upgrades to hoffeinz. Really hope the fan base gets behind the program because the staff and players deserve the support.

Also **** that scrub Okorn lol

#686 Aware, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Refs calling those ticky tac fouls literally ruined the game. This was OUR game to win. As an alumni, I’m proud of our boys, but I’m outraged by the foul calls.

Anyways, we missed 2 crucial free throws, and 1 crucial miss free throw before those 2 that were missed... it just wasn’t in our fate. Hopefully the basketball gods will be on our side next season.

Always stay positive and humble. The opportunity will come for success.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I expect nothing, yet I'm still disappointed

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

those two FTs are ingrained into his head for the rest of his life

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

That sucks because he played his ass off tonight and has all season.

craigharmann likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crushing way to go down. Just when I thought the Cougs were going to actually make it to the Sweet Sixteen. It's crazy how those last second buzzer beaters turn all the smiling faces in the arena the opposite direction in an instant. You see the cheers go to tears in a split second. But, it was hard for me not to want to laugh at the scene right after as Poole as ran around the court with crazed eyes and a huge smile, with Wagner in tail with his mouth open so big they probably could have shoved a basketball in it.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That hurt last night, but I'm so proud of those guys and the way the played. Tough and gritty played hard and represented the city! Touch fouls in college basketball are ruining the product in my eyes, the NCAA refs are horrendously bad. Those calls and a lucky shot did us in, but WHAT A GREAT SHOW BY THOSE KIDS FROM HTOWN!

13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I feel bad for Devin Davis. Last game as a senior. He played a great game except missing those free throws at the end. Who knows why those things happen. Interesting decision by Sampson not to but their tallest player with longest wingspan guarding the inbound pass. What's done can't be undone. Hope Brady loses some weight and gets in shape in the off season and learns how to stay out of foul trouble. We have a core of good players coming back next year so hope they can build on this and make it back to the tournament. We have some big shoes to fill in Gray and D. Davis but it will be interesting to see how players like Armani Brooks and Fabian White step up next year.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Outlook next year looks dimly lit to me. Lost two playmakers. Inside and outside. The only viable replacements are Brooks and Davis Jr. But both play to avoid contact. Brooks certainly looks the part. He has the tools to become a guy who can get into the paint. Yet he feels more like a Harrison Barnes clone. A little soft. Davis Jr likely to remain a catch and shoot role guy. With Robinson at point we have a solid handle, but a weakness since he can't shoot. Bigs are bigger, but little to no discipline and repertoire. Think we are in real trouble unless someone can step up their game to get us to the line. And someone in the backcourt has to really elevate their drive game. Luckily, most American will be in the same boat. I see us as one of those .500 teams hovering around the 17-18 win mark.

#694 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

The loss is on Kelvin Jerome

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I guess we will see but I see a minimum of 20 something wins. They have a lot of talent returning and I am sure there will be some more incoming in the pipeline. Brady, White, and Harris, as bigs returning. Brady in particular has size and talent just needs to suck it up and get in shape and stay away from the silly fouls next year. Without Rob Gray there next year they will be forced to play more as a team. They have a depth of talented guards returning. I think they will be just as good next year. We are at the point finally where our basketball program appears to be on the rise for years to come.

I miss the days of phi slamma jamma. We have a ways to go to get to that point. But you never know. We may get lucky at some point and stumble across another athlete the caliber of Akeem.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think we will be pretty good next year and we have our best recruiting class of the Sampson regime coming in too.

dc rock likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

UH has two Umass transfers playing next year. Dejon Jarreau and Brison Greshman. 4 ands 3 star recruits. plus nate hinton (4star/espn top 100) is the 6'6 pg coming in. hes the best rated recruit in the kelvin sampson era.

UH is going to be very good next year

dc rock likes this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

When was the last time Houston started the season ranked in the top 25?

MadMax likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I'd guess 1984. We had only been ranked 3 weeks since 84 before this season.