1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. vince

vince Member

Isn’t it the last time the won a game in the NCAA tournament in 1984. They’ve made it in 87, 90, 92, 2010, but lost in their opening matchup.

Exciting times coming back with Kelvin Sampson, he has always been a high quality coach....

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Please please please please win a tournament game. My god that dry spell has to end.

Jturbofuel and Snow Villiers like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

As far as winning at least one game in the NCAA I am more hopeful.

Think we solved our biggest problem from previous years, which was having a big body to rebound and drop in some buckets. We also successfully filled those potential gaping holes left by Dotson and Pollard. And we look and play a more athletic style overall. It feels more like a complete basketball team than in the past, that has several scoring options, moves the ball, and plays defense. Davis, Gray. Davis Jr., Brooks, and Van Beck can all score. There are buckets to be had out there.

But there are still some concerns. The fact that we have a point guard who can't shoot is a potential thorn if we play a team that isolates that flaw. And Gray may or may not get shut down by a tall athletic defender. We've always had a tough time with superior tall athletes even if they can't score with us. And no experience at closing out a big opponent, until last night that is!

Overall, I like the talent. Think we could go pretty far. I believe.

eman and Plowman like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Ohh, it's been sooo long.." Eat em Up!

[​IMG]

vince, the shark and SS0101 like this.
  5. AFS

AFS Member

Agreed. This is the best team we've had in a long time. The 2010 tournament team overachieved during the conference tournament, but weren't a real tournament quality team like this year's team is. Even though Galen Robinson can't shoot, I think we have some good guard depth with Rob Gray and Corey Davis being able to play pg and being good shooters. Sampson has options when Robinson is hurting the team on the floor, and Robinson can often be a positive for the team like he was last night.

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

This was a crazy win for Houston. Cinny was on a 16 game winning streak. Houston stay undefeated at home as well.

the shark likes this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

So, is Sampson going to be hired by the Aggies or the Longhorns? I don't think either fan base is really thrilled with their coaches.

At the very least I would say Sampson is in line for a pay raise from the Coogs.

Actually, I don't see Sampson leaving UH. He's not a young coach, and his past problems with the NCAA would probably scare away many schools. UH may be the perfect spot for Sampson.

vince likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

he got extended following the season last year til the 2020-21 season with a pay raise and increased bonuses.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Really? Good for him. He has certainly done a good job.

10. Bob Barker 007

Shaka Smart is not the long-term answer at Texas, but I don't think Texas will hire Sampson. As you said, he has too many NCAA sanctions following him around.

11. the shark

the shark Member

F the Aggies and the Longhorns!!!

What makes you think Sampson would leave if they even came calling? He loves the city of Houston.

dc rock and Plowman like this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

It seems like the Aggies and Longhorns are always looking at UH coaches when they have success. But, I did say that Sampson would probably stay at UH, and that it was the perfect spot for him.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Cannot lose this game. For the love of all things holy we cannot lose this game.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Who is this team? Cam out like a boss. Temple had no chance. They are for real.

YOLO, boomboom, SS0101 and 1 other person like this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Another solid win (on the road)!!!

Playing with a lot of confidence right now.

boomboom and SS0101 like this.
  16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I saw a tweet referencing that during the game a CBS announcer said something along the lines of UH being the best team in the American.

Go Coogs!

the shark likes this.
  17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

CBS sports analyst wally szczerbiak said Houston is playing like a team that could get to the sweet sixteen.

Jturbofuel, YOLO, boomboom and 2 others like this.
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

What a time to be alive...

boomboom and dc rock like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I was actually nervous about this game, but damn we jumped on them early and they had no chance.