1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was an exhibition game last night, but they started 3 guards, Jarreau, Grimes, and Hinton, along with Gorham and Gresham in the frontcourt.
    That is good size in backcourt, all 3 guards being 6'5". Granted it was against Angelo State, but the guards were trapping just before half court, and created a lot of havoc and turnovers. Gorham looks like he has a nice jumper with 3 point range for a big guy and plays tough.

Sasser looked solid, and Mills looked very good offensively, but a little soft on the defensive end.

Pat likes this.
  2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Big strong guards this year.

By tourney time, barring injuries, this team will be very tough to stop

Fulgore likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

it should be like a 30 pt win but UH hoops is officially back tonight!

Fulgore likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

this team may not have the snipers but theres more scorers and much more versatile defensively with length. they aren't going to be the smaller team on most nights anymore

boomboom likes this.
  6. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I know its just the first game but man this team looks good. This may be Sampson's best recruiting effort. YOLO looks like you are going to be close on the plus 30.

boomboom likes this.
  7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Tramon Mark Just signed this morning. This kid is ranked big time by the scouts. The things is Sampson will get guys he likes for his system better than most coaches. I believe Sampson best abilities as a coach is knowing beforehand what a kid can actually do under his direction and judging their love for basketball.

He was on Mark early. That's why he is here.

boomboom likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

he committed back in April. With him. Jamal Shead and Kiyron Powell, they have a top 25 nationally projected class already. The future continues to shine bright

boomboom and Madmanmetz like this.
  9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Commits can de-commit. He signed this morning.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i know but at first it made me think wait and minute did hou just get a surprise signing. but it's early in the morning then i remembered he was part of the 3 headed class so far. :)

Madmanmetz likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think as of now we are 1 over the limit for next year. The odds of both Jarrau and Grimes coming back to school next year could change that too.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Harris starting tonight. man UH's size is pretty huge with this starting 5 lineup

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We played like dog turds all game. Still had the lead with 5 seconds left but Nate CARRIED it and turned it over. BYU gets a shot off and a lucky bounce for the win.

puke.

15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

The ending to the game last night against BYU was such a disappointment. It reminded me of the loss to Michigan in the tournament a couple of years ago. At least this time it is early in the season. We have plenty of time to make adjustments. I am looking forward to seeing how we do against Oregon. Memphis, Cincinnati, and others.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We have 2 should be wins before facing Oregon I hope some of the mistakes from early Friday get fixed by then.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I actually looked at the schedule wrong we play Oregon Friday night. Rice played out of their minds in the first half and the Coogs withstood that and played much better down the stretch to win tonight.

Grimes was incredible tonight, but I was concerned when he went out with the cramp

18. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

A come from behind, high scoring, nail biting win against Rice? A team that got blown out earlier this year by Arkansas by nearly 50 points? I hope they figure out what is wrong with their defense before Friday night or Oregon is going to make them look silly out there. I was expecting this team to beat Rice by at least 20 or 30 points and control the game from wire to wire. Did not expect the game that took place against Rice last night.

Does anyone know why Chris Harris did not play last night?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

matchup. rice doesn't play any bigs. Not a night for any bigs. Sampson said there's nobody for harris to guard

RayRay10 and airflights92 like this.
  20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Grimes is a stud...just getting back to who he is now after Kansas tried to change him to a pass first PG.

Team still needs work, but that was impressive last night when they could have quit multiple times.

CometsWin and YOLO like this.