1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cost of moving Anderson ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 21, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Most of our dream scenarios here at CF revolve around dumping Ryan Anderson . What is his value ? How hard will it be to dump him ?

I personally , think he will be hard to move . YES , he is a stretch 4 . Stretch 4's are currently In ; but is he a top stretch 4? His contract pays him well , I'll leave it at that.

Who are teams that we could dump him to? With our system here in Houston , it could be argued that his value here is higher than his value for other teams. His best skill is shooting 3's and "spacing" .. Well Houston is a team that believes in that concept and plays that style more than almost any other team.

Unless there are multiple teams that are trying to shift to that style, his value decreases. Even if teams eventually want to play space and pace , they have to have other pieces and want to start "contending" soon. If a team feels that their window won't come until a few years in the future , why pick up Ryan now? They would rather draft a player or trade for a younger guy.

So for a team to value Ryan as much as we do , they have to be playing close to our style and wanting to be a good team in the near term.

This would not apply if Ryan was outperforming his contract and could create value that way.

Absent this scenario , we are going to have to pay teams (either in picks or players or taking back a similarly "undesirable" contract) if we want to dump Anderson.

So while I would love for it to happen , I think the price to get rid of Ryan is going to be high. At the very least, I think 2 future 1st's are going to be asked for. Maybe we will get to put lottery protection on them.

2. Coach E

Coach E Member

I don't think it's going to be that high, probably just the 43rd this year.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Through the roof...

I mean he is one of the worst contracts out there in the NBA

Despite the elite spacing on the court from Conroe on some days and Victoria on others....

roslolian, Pen15clubber and bilaal14 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

people are kidding themselves if they think teams dont want a true stretch 4 who shoots 3s at 40% in today pace and space league. in fact the only pf in the league with his volume at over 2.5 a game that just did it with over 500 attempted. well ahead of any behind him

5. thekad

thekad Member

A couple 2nds, maybe. Kings, Knicks, Suns will all be interested if they can't find anyone better.

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

yeah, they want all that.. but they would like more at 20 mil a year.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Prove me wrong Maurey!

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

guys are about to make as much as 40 mil. 20 mil for him is a bit overrated on here. rather have him than guys who make just as much like crabbe, noah, monroe, kanter, deng, turner, biyombo

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Counter argument .

We have harden , we have dantoni . The only reason Anderson got that many attempts is because of the pieces around him (and how he fits)

Yeah , he was fairly efficient for us. How is he going to look when he doesn't have James harden (probably THE best player at generating looks from 3)

Unless he goes to golden state , no one else in the league plays space and pace at the level we do . He can help them increase that (maybe) but he won't get as high of a percentage of good looks ( and that will drive his shooting percentage down)

His 3 point shooting is one thing to consider for sure ; but it's also literally the only thing. He's a negative everywhere else. He can't score in the paint. He's not good on the glass. And he's an awful defender. Oh, and he's had injury issues in the past (to his ****ing back)

I'm a Morey fan , but I don't think he's going to be able to dump Ryan without paying a significant cost.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats false. two of the other top teams in boston and cleveland play pace and space. look at how many 3s they threw up a game. just as much as houston if not more. they run pick and roll and drive and kick at a significant rate. if any team wants to be any good, they have to transition towards that. half court teams have no chance. there ceiling is making the playoffs maybe and a 1st round matchup

he played without harden before this year. still made a career for himself.

No Chance likes this.
  11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Clearly we would have to ship out an elite asset like Harden to drop his horrible contract. Maybe 3 future unprotected 1st r picks. Worst contract in the league and he doesn't do shiit or show up in playoffs at all.

Unathletic sturdy bum.

bilaal14 and J.R. like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How is Cleveland going to get Ryan Anderson while at the same time letting us dump salary ?

What about Boston ? Their big move with all of their assets is to let us salary dump Ryan Anderson on them ?

Yes teams have to transition to that ( at least currently ) the metagame changes all the time . I assume space and pace will stay in , but teams that are transitioning to it now have to factor in when they want to compete.

Teams not trying to win "right now" would much rather draft and develop their own guy . Or acquire a stretch 4 when they are ready to win. Paying Ryan Anderson 20 mil when you are not going to be a top 8-10 NBA team is insane .

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Brewer was moved...

BigShasta and kjayp like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

those were just examples to your belief that no other teams play the way houston does. its just false. the league is basically turning into moreyball. albeit some teams at a lesser version but that's mainly due to personnel. if you're trying to actually win, you build your teams to be better than those at the top. the top teams play that way. if that's not your priority than it wouldn't matter.

We just saw an example of a team willing to take in salary bc they have money they need to spend. mozgov's contract is plain trash but nets took it bc they can. plenty of teams are about to unload a ton of contracts if all these rumors are true.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

as much as we talk **** he is still an elite stretch 4, seasoned vet with playoff experience, decent size, doesnt cause locker room problems, and at least hustles on rebounding and defense.

thats worth a lot. i dont think it will be hard to trade him. it will be hard not taking in another bad contract, whjch im fine with if we get a decent player in return. best u can ask for.

we should be able to pack him in a trade with lou or whoever and get a 2nd star.

Junebball and YOLO like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The cost? Melo.

lol... really I think there will be a few dumping grounds for Ryno... some GM will try to sell his acquisition as a positive thing... lol

bilaal14 likes this.
  17. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Anderson is wanted, not negative value. Clippers would want him if Blake moved. Detroit needs him next to Drummond. Miami needs him next to Whiteside. Dallas would like him. Phoenix would like him. Utah would like him. Charlotte could use him. He's got a nice niche but works best with a dominant 5. 18 mill for a special piece like him is adequate. I don't think Morey moves him. I would but I'm like the only person in this board that really believes in Drummond and an Anderson+trade could net you Drummond and Ibaka potentially. What a front court that could be. In fact i will update my signature to reflect that idea instead of constantly bringing it up.

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

We'll probably have to take back a bad contract back, which is why I'm a proponent of trading him for Brook Lopez. Brook is on a bad contract but it's expiring and he'll do alright with us. He shoots relatively well. But the Lakers have little to gain by getting Ryan Anderson, and that's the case for most teams. Has anyone heard of any team that are interested in him?

Really the only way I see us getting rid of Ryno is as a 3rd team in a trade involving a marquee player, like PG or Butler.

19. BackdoorHarden

A team with Salary cap room would do it for a 2nd round pick.

Nets, Sixers, who else with tons of cap space and no one to sign????

20. thekad

thekad Member

Let's look at a recent trade:

Mozgov (one of the worst contracts in the league) + Russell (probably worth a pick 10-14) = Brook Lopez (worth maybe a pick in the 30s) + #27

So Mozgov + #10 ~= #27 + #35.

Just judging by the most recent salary dump, Anderson shouldn't cost much, if anything, to move if the Rockets can find the right team.

Brown Lost It and bilaal14 like this.