1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa placed on disabled list

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, this is pretty much the Astros front office MO when it comes to dealing with an injury.

Remember when Keuchel "slept funny" on his neck? Or McHugh had some mild shoulder soreness in ST? Or LMJ was day-to-day?

They don't divulge much, don't reveal much, always take the optimistic front... but in the end, only they truly know what's wrong with their players and how long they feel they'll be out for.

Some of it is gamesmanship... some of it is its really only their business (or the player's health) and they don't have an obligation (unlike the NFL) to report daily updates on any of these guys.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Absolutely correct.
    It's not just the Astros either. Lots of times a guy feels a little twinge in his elbow, team says we aren't super worried, going to rest and re-evaluate and then 2 weeks later it's announced it's Tommy John time. The whole industry seems to soft pedal injuries up front.

3. Buck Turgidson

The first thing you do is rest it unless the imaging tells you otherwise. Then you start working it out again after a while, throwing and such. Lots of guys come back from this point without surgery. Nobody puts a guy on the 60-day DL right off the bat unless his arm just exploded.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. But it's almost like code talk with some optimistic type quotes about we shall see, then getting progressively worse and worse. It makes complete sense to do it that way, of course. The main overriding point is "don't believe anything about injuries that comes out from any front office in the first couple days/weeks after something happens. Teams rightly don't air their worst fears or concerns about injuries until they have to.

5. Buck Turgidson

Sure, and along those same lines we haven't heard anything about CC other than he can't play yet and he hasn't had surgery. So we really have no idea what is happening.

This is also not the NFL where the gambling addicts take center stage.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Initially we heard not serious and back in a day or two likely didn’t we? Or was that the time before when he sat for like 3 days and then came back?

7. CinematicFusion

True.... all we know is he has been out a month with no time table for comeback. 2-4 weeks maybe?

8. Buck Turgidson

"Initially" who gives a ****? What's your point?

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I have no idea where this response is coming from, nothing about anything I've posted in this back and forth is at all meant in any argumentative way toward you. I was literally agreeing with you, saying you nailed how the Astros talk about injuries, amplifying on that and saying that baseball as a whole tends to speak about injuries the same way that the Astros do, and then saying that the Correa information has trickled out in this manner, initially starting with "probably not a big deal- going to be a day or two and reevaluate" to where we are now where it obviously looks like a bigger deal than it did initially.

The question you responded to was me, legitimately asking if they said- "a day or two" this time around initially or if I was conflating that with the earlier time b/c I happened to be posting from my cell phone, while on a break from taking my Continuing education, and didn't want to look it up for quotes.

Now that I'm back I looked it up and on June 26 AJ said- battling a little bit of back stiffness. Speculation was by roto world that he'd probably get that day and the next day off (day game) and rest it up a little bit. Then- maybe DL then maybe not. Then DL. Now whatever is going on. Literally no agenda in anything I'm saying. Just talking about the timeline in this case and how that matches up with how the FO is generally tight lipped on injuries.

It was nothing other than a casual question that I in no way expected to provoke any kind of irritation.

10. Buck Turgidson

I gotcha, mea culpa. I read more snark and sarcasm in those sentences than they merited.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

"Couple of weeks away" from playing baseball again, according to Hinch. Me likey.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No problem man. It’s why I explained what was going on.
    This whole thread Is weird to me. Hell its probably my fault and I probably was more of an ass than I needed to be, but I literally have one and only one pet peeve on the internet and that’s when I feel like my words are being twisted into something I didn’t mean and my arguments are being misstated which is totally what I felt like Tom was doing.
    I said- hey I once thought Correa would be a generational player and maybe the highest paid guy ever. Now, 4 ish years in, I think I was wrong and he won’t hit that incredibly lofty ceiling I was hoping for from him and it went from there with people acting like I was saying he wasn’t great and accusing me of backtracking when I didn’t do any such thing.
    So hey, my apologies if I came across like a jerk, but I really don’t like my words being twisted into something they aren’t meant to be, and saying Correa has never played like an mvp (so far) wasn’t me saying he hasn’t had stretches in his career where he was mvp level good, it was me literally just saying “people that ‘play like an mvp’ get mvp consideration and mvp votes” and Correa never gotten even a single top 5 mvp vote, and last year got about the same consideration for the award as Marwin Gonzalez, who got multiple down ballot votes votes as a recognition of a good season

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That would be a big sigh of relief for me as well.
    I am curious as to how they would know that as backs are so tricky and temperamental. Hopefully whatever it is shows up on imaging or in tests so there’s some level of certainty in how to treat the thing.

14. Buck Turgidson

I would imagine that he has had medical treatment that you and I could only dream about.

KEMP!!!

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No doubt. But so do guys like Tiger and Steve Kerr and Phil Jackson. Backs just scare the heck out of me b/c of the unknown aspect of the deal. Most other things are straight forward but there is just so much uncertainty there with a back. But I agree, AJ with a definitive time period of 2 weeks is really welcome news.

16. Buck Turgidson

I had sports-related lower back (disc) problems for 10 years or so in my late 20's-30's. It was no fun, and I never knew when it would flare up (Hey? Wanna brush your teeth? Wash some dishes? Tie your shoes? Whammo). Thankfully it hasn't bothered me in a decade. I recommend yoga, no lie.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I had back problems growing up playing golf when I was a kid and growing, and I also broke my back in a snow mobile wreck. I've been lucky that it hasn't really been a problem going forward but when I used to work in my parents restaurant washing dishes or when I was on my feet teaching school and then coaching the only thing that would make it better was getting half way through the second beer.

I'm certainly no athletic specimen.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Another example of the Astros seemingly minimizing seriousness of an injury is Springer in 2014. They certainly never talked when it was happening like he was going to be shut down for the entire last 2 plus months of the season but that's what happened.
    I'm still not sure that wasn't a stealth tank move and a real overabundance of caution though. I think they wanted to see improvement away from being awful and when they locked in that improvement they didn't try really hard to bank a bunch more wins down the stretch.

I won $7000 worth of free furniture from Gallery that year b/c I knew they weren't losing 100 games that season. Then clearing that easily while getting the number 5 pick (Tucker) was pretty sporty.

I'm not at all saying Springer could have come back, I just wonder if they were trying really hard to get him back, if that makes sense.

Hell I've got 3 little kids and that was 5 years ago, so I could be mis-remembering that anyway.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Lunow spoke on astros round table yesterday like it was a muscle issue. That made me feel much better than if I’d have heard disc.