1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa and his back issues...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Oct 7, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. that's just common sense. you're getting defensive for what you yourself posted and trying to justify it as much as you can. anyways moving on.

2. HTM

HTM Member

Because I was attacked in a condescending and d*ckish way even when my memory wasn't exactly wrong. Just some fanboys get excessively defensive over any possible slight to any Astro.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's safe to say Correa's back isn't bothering him that much, he seems to have his full range of athletic movement. If Correa had a stove up back he wouldn't be playing. I'd imagine he goes through his daily routine without noticing it for the most part.

Fielding isn't very demanding from your core, it's almost entirely hands and footwork. Generating torque on 90 MPH pitch does. He seems to be incapable of turning on pitches with any authority whatsoever. All of his success is the other way right now.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the post you are referring to was far from that dramatic.

again you're just being defensive bc you were proven wrong and still trying to justify it in anyway you can. the last remark in your post is another added attempt

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

.330/.398/.534/.932 on May 1, 2018. That has the makings of absolutely setting the world on fire. No, he wasn't good in May. But he bounced back and was, again, terrific in June before he got hurt (.284/.367/.522/.889).

Correa was working on a MONSTER season before the injury. Any other narrative is revisionist bullshit.

6. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I mean if you take out the entire month of May, the month with the largest sample size, hitting .192 with a 6.86 OPS he was setting the world on fire.

I guess, for whatever reason, I just remembered that he did play and played a ton in May and did pretty poorly.

7. Major

Major Member

But you're assuming all back injuries are the same. Your back issue causes you pain in day-to-day activities. He's clearly well past that point, given that he's playing major league baseball and can dive/etc. I think he summarized his problem pretty well, and he says it's become mental and thought-driven like you suggest, but it also seems pretty clear that it's specific motions that cause the problem:

"Because I know every time I swing and miss it's going to hurt. So, I try not to swing and miss and then I try to baby my swing and I don't swing as hard as I usually do or as quick as I usually do. So, it's definitely been tough."

So from that quote, I gather than swinging and missing is causing pain, but swinging and making contact doesn't hurt as much. He doesn't say it's the swinging itself or even swinging hard - it's the missing (I'm just guessing it's because the back twists farther and more unexpectedly in that scenario, but I have no idea).

8. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

I agree with what you are saying, but how can a baseball player possibly succeed in the big leagues when swinging hard is painful and mentally scary and the thought of swinging and missing is affecting your swing?

Personally I think the motion and torque of swinging a bat as hard as you can is a lot harder than the motion of sliding to fielding ground balls. Swinging a bat is tough on your back and even tougher when you have to swing with the bat speed necessary to hit a 90 mph plus ball. It’s the part when you have to fully extend and follow through on your swing that looks on TV to be an issue for him and his comments confirm it.

Isn’t this too big of an issue for an athlete to deal with and have a chance of overcoming?

9. Major

Major Member

I think the issue is the status of the back. If it hurts him to bend down, then absolutely. But it sounds like he can do most things OK without pain, and just a few things still really hurt. Then it's a matter of whether that prevents him from doing it or just discourages him - and if the latter, can he mentally deal with it. His play the last week or two suggests he's either adjusting or the pain is dropping, and hopefully a few more days off helps some more? We can only hope at this point.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I dealt with some shitty back pain as a kid in 9th grade playing golf, torque from swinging a jillion times on the range and course on a growing body. It didn’t effect my day to day but getting after it with a driver or taking an aggressive swing down onto the ball with a short iron was bad. Nothing else really bothered me.
    The next year I had a compression fracture in my back due to a snowmobile wreck and was out of commission for months. The day to Day hurt. When I got back to playing golf I was physically cleared to play but tentative with swinging a club. I thought it was going to hurt if I took a big swing, even if it didn’t. I still have a little back pain from time to time if I’m on my feet and doing something like scrubbing dishes or mopping the floor. I’m more or less lucky bc it’s not too bad but I remember being in agony on the golf course at times.
    I have every belief that Correa is essentially shot for this year. He just won’t pull the ball or swing with authority prior to spring training next year I’d bet. Hopefully he can hit a few bloops and soft liners to right and right center and maybe run into the occasional opposite field shot. I have no expectations of anything better for him than that until he has months of downtime and rehab. I’d like to see him do nothing for a month and the. Just core strengthening for the rest of the offseason. He doesn’t need to swing a bat until next spring training in my opinion. It will just risk reinjury and continue to build shitty muscle memory, I would wager.
    I’m slightly concerned it will be an issue for life. Plenty of golfers have had bad backs and the toll on the body of swinging a bat or club is not insignificant. Hope I’m worried about nothing, but yeah, a few days here or there during this playoff run isn’t magically fixing it.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While the anecdotal medical diagnoses is certainly strong in here... you guys may still be trying to figure out his ailments, and proclaim him to be done for life, while he's popping champagne and re-proposing after they win.

12. Buck Turgidson

Everything's a travesty with you, man. ;)

13. Hey Now!

You think an act that literally begins with you bending over....... is almost entirely hands and footwork?
    [​IMG]

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Or yall could just listen to Carlos:

He said it bothers him most at the plate, and it's been impossible to get back to how he felt before the injury.

"Not only to find my swing, just to feel comfortable at the plate when I swing," he said. "Because I know every time I swing and miss it's going to hurt. So, I try not to swing and miss and then I try to baby my swing and I don't swing as hard as I usually do or as quick as I usually do. So, it's definitely been tough."

15. Hey Now!

I want to make sure I'm on the right side of this because I'm certainly not suggesting, "Wait a minute, if he can field, he should be able to hit!" That's not my point at all. I believe EVERYTHING he does hurts - swinging, fielding, throwing...

But of those actions, the swing is the one he has the most control over, and so I think that's why he's struggling at the plate while playing, frankly, fairly spectacular defense. Instinct and adrenaline take over in the field but at the plate, he has time to think, make a decision (should I swing? How hard? etc) - so in addition to the pain, there's also a mental obstacle he has to overcome.

Bottom line: I think he's going to likely continue to battle and struggle at the plate until he can get the back fully healed in the offseason.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

It's the woman.

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once again. It seems to be the new norm. Sir Missalot.

Houstunna and Rock Block like this.
  18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Well at this point its not new for him to be hurt but its certainly normal for him. Damn shame casue he's got it all. Oh well

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Or not, and Hinch is just being smart?

deb4rockets and theimpossibles1 like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya, anyone with an ops over .900 is having a superstar year. .900+ ops is usually a solid indicator of elite hitting.

Unlike many who pull the trigger way too soon on him, I'm going to wait to see how he does in the playoffs before I'm seriously concerned.

Hinch not playing against bottom of the barrel teams towards the end of the season when the division is clinched is not red flag level of worrying. I'm sure he would play today if it was the ALDS.

Hey Now! likes this.