1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081017/pl_politico/14665

Retired Gen. Colin Powell, once considered a potential running mate for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), now may endorse his opponent, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), according to Republican sources. But an air of mystery surrounds Powell's planned live appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," and no one is sure what he will say.

Powell’s unassailable national security credentials could sway voters who are vacillating about whether Obama is ready to be commander in chief, and his endorsement of the Illinois senator would make a national security emphasis by McCain in the election's closing days extremely difficult.

Powell, 71, a professional soldier for 35 years, has advised the last three Republican presidents.

The general’s camp is being coy about what he might or might not say on Sunday. But some McCain advisers suspect, without being sure, that Powell will endorse Obama.

“It’s going to make a lot of news, and certainly be personally embarrassing for McCain," a McCain official said. "It comes at a time when we need momentum, and it would create momentum against us.”

Powell, a four-star Army general, was national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when George H.W. Bush was president; and President George W. Bush’s first secretary of State,

Powell has consulted with both Obama and McCain, and the general’s camp has indicated in the past that he would not endorse.

On “Meet the Press” in June 2007, Powell said: “I’ve met with Sen. Obama twice. I’ve been around this town a long time, and I know everybody who is running for office, and I make myself available to talk about foreign policy matters and military matters with whoever wishes to chat with me."

Asked by moderator Tim Russert if he would come back into government, Powell said: “I would not rule it out. I’m not at all interested in political life, if you mean elected political life. That is unchanged. But I always keep my, my eyes open and my ears open to requests for service.”

Asked about an endorsement, he said: “It’s too early.”

NBC’s ‘Andrea Mitchell broke the news of Powell’s surprise “Meet the Press” appearance on the “Today” show Friday.

“In what promises to be a dramatic moment Sunday, Colin Powell — a lion of the Republican establishment, whom McCain and Obama both have courted for months — will finally speak out on a variety of issues, appearing exclusively on ‘Meet the Press,’” Mitchell said. “Of course, years ago, he was talked about as the possible first … African-American nominee of a major party.”

Last week, Powell appeared as a character witness at Sen. Ted Stevens’ (R-Alaska) corruption trial, telling jurors that Stevens is someone he trusts completely. "As we say in the infantry, this is a guy you take on a long patrol," Powell said.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Colin Powell is 71? More like Ponce de Leon!

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I didn't know he was that old. :eek:

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Colin is looking out for numero uno. He is trying to flee the sinking Bush-McCain ship.

I see reports that the Bush-McCain folks had asked him to delay the announcement as long as possible. He complied as usual, like he did with the wmd scam before the United Nations.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If he was willing to delay, why would he make an endorsement at all? The whole point of an endorsement is to try to get your chosen person elected. If he's delaying, it is to maximize the impact of the endorsement on the election.

(I think it'd somehow diminish him to make any endorsement.)

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Powell is more respected than Lieberman. Would be a great F U.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Actually Powell was the one person who told GW Bush the truth what would happen if he went into Iraq. Bush went went against his advise then Powell bail off the ship. "Mr President you go into Iraq you bought"

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It was shortly after this that he was heard to say:
    "All your Iraqi base are belong to US."

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The GOP doesn't want to talk about the economy...they want to talk about Obama's associations right now. This endorsement would be devastating.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Who in their right mind gives a flip what Colin Powell says? His credibility died a painful death several years ago.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

ditto

14. glynch

I forgot to say that.

15. glynch

Well it is probably pretty simple. Powell figures he has more to gain personally by endorsing rather than not endorsing.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He may still have sway with right leaning independents and moderate Republicans. I think an endorsement could be huge in attracting more of those voters to Obama. Especially if he gives an endorsement on the question of Commander In Chief. McCain has practially run on his ability to be Commander in Chief.

Plus, a Powell endorsement Sunday would put Palin's SNL debut on the back pages right away. Instead of Sunday talk shows going into the whole Palin schtick, they would actually have something to talk about in Powell's endorsement.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

People who are still skeptical of whether it's "safe" to vote for Obama or not. Powell supporting Obama would go a long way towards putting these peoples fears to rest.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, you're saying he'd endorse Obama even though he thinks McCain is actually preferable?

19. Major

Major Member

Bingo - moderates still pretty strongly respect Powell. A popular top general that's as American as anyone will help with anyone that has fears about Obama's Americanness or his foreign policy credentials.

20. aghast

aghast Member

A thoroughly racist relative in 1996 said he would have supported Powell for president if he ran for the GOP nomination. Maybe it's like the anti-semite Nixon loving Kissinger, as "one of the good ones." Colin Powell's support of Obama would do nothing but help Obama in the eyes of conservatives, provide cover for those still on the fence. That he went along with a disastrous war despite private reservations is a mark against Powell, not Obama.