1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Powell Endorsing Obama yall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GuerillaBlack, Aug 13, 2008.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Colin Powell is endorsing Obama yall! :)

[rquoter]Kristol: Colin Powell to Endorse Obama

Fox News

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention, Weekly Standard Publisher Bill Kristol told FOX News exclusively on Thursday.

“He may well give a speech at the Democratic convention explaining his endorsement of Obama,” Kristol said, citing inside sources. “For whatever reason I think he has decided he’s going to endorse Obama. I think [Powell] has a high respect for Senator McCain, they go back a long way.”

Kristol continued, “This is not an absolute done deal, but these people are very confident that Powell will endorse Obama.”

Kristol said sources told him Powell will “quite possibly” speak at the Democratic convention on the same night as Obama’s vice-presidential selection and former President Bill Clinton.

“The Obama people are quietly trying to line up a pretty strong convention,” Kristol said. “I think the Obama campaign shouldn’t be underestimated. Obviously anyone would like to have Powell’s endorsement.”

Powell spokeswoman Peggy Cifrino strongly denied the report.

“There’s absolutely no truth to it whatsoever,” Cifrino told FOXNews.com. “Colin Powell will not be at either convention. There’s absolutely no truth to this.”

An endorsement by Powell could go a long way to attracting moderates and wayward Republicans to the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate.

Over the years, Powell himself has been touted as a potential presidential or vice presidential candidate. The former national security adviser served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf War. He was secretary of state for the younger President Bush.

His tenure is most notable for presenting to the U.N. Security Council evidence that Iraq was pursuing weapons of mass destruction. His presentation led to a resolution endorsing military action against that country, but he later described it as a “blot” on his record.

Powell has unofficially advised Obama and Republican candidate John McCain but had not endorsed anyone. A spokesman said in July that he was undecided.

In April, Powell praised Obama’s response to controversial remarks by his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who had said the United States brought the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on itself by supporting terrorism and that the government created the AIDS virus to “destroy people of color.”

“I thought that Senator Obama handled the issue well,” said Powell, the nation’s first black secretary of state. “He didn’t abandon the minister that brought him closer to his faith, but at the same time he deplored the kinds of statements that the Reverend Wright had made.”

Obama later turned his back on Wright after the minister courted controversy again with additional comments in public.[/rquoter]

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/13/kristol-colin-powell-to-endorse-barack-obama/

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How about Powell for VP?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope it's true. That would be a big deal and a real boost for Obama. He could use one.

Impeach Bush/Cheney.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this on Fox News while flipping, but I also saw "another news channel" who contacted Powell's people who said it was not true and that Powell wasn't even going to be at the convention.

Personally, I trust Kristol, the original neocon, as far as I can throw him. This is like listening to Rush Limbaugh positively critique the Democratic Convention. It simply defies logic. He is not an ‘honest broker’ and there is something going on here.

I am convinced that he is trying to stir some %@#$ to head the possibility of some positive surprise at the convention - that he knew something was probably coming, and took a wild stab at nipping it in the bud. If not that, it has to be something else like that.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

...just another case or a disgruntled employee getting his revenge? Or a case of racial pride trumping core beliefs/values?

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

boy should know his place huh?

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is strange that people would give much attention or respect to Powell's endorsement.

Please, Democrats, do not allow Powell face time at the convention. He does not deserve it after selling out the country and his office once again to promote the Iraq War.

8. mc mark

AGREE 1000%

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I agree also, but for those undecided voters who may not see him as "damaged goods" he can probably sway a few votes.

Let's face it, for Democrats or those voting anti-Bush/McCain, there is not a lot that Obama could do to lose their vote. While wobbly independents and disgruntled Republicans on the fence are in play and fair game.

Also, this would be seen as Obama reaching out across the aisle. Good pragmatic political decision. It would not be a bad idea to resurrect Powell as a born-again Democrat.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have great admiration for Colin Powell. I think he was essentially castrated by Bush (ala Cheney / Wolfowitz / Rumsfield) and their agenda. Under any other president, I think Powell would have been one of the great sec of states.

I hope he gets another chance at a high profile position.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Powell doesn't have much credibility left does he? Maybe with hard core Republicans. No way Powell should be speaking at the DNC. He made his choices, now he has to live with them.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

another one faux news seems to be getting wrong.

13. mc mark

Powell knew he was lying to the UN and the world. He has said as much. Life is about choices. Powell could have said "no, I'm not going to do that" and walked away. Probably would have stopped a war.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A good soldier never says no.

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Sarcasm, I hope?

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Let's see Fox News & Kristol. Hmmm.

Do you think you could, say, hurt Obama's campaign by promising something you knew would not come to pass? Gee whiz.

But Fox and Kristol don't care who wins in November, right?

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

So Powell agreed, then changed his mind? Is he having deep concerns about Obama's 'ability' to command our forces? It certainly raises the question...

18. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

i hope obama gives colin a chunk of the pie when he wins...powell seems to have his head screwed on correctly.

19. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

as to whether this was simply made up by Kristol and Faux News.

20. mc mark

Seems plausible

Throw out the trial balloon and see what happens. If Powell denies it and then comes out for Obama, it defuses the endorsement and makes Powell look foolish. Now Powell really has to stick to his denial.