1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you watch the game or did Rapinoe prevent you from doing so?

2. cml750

cml750 Member

I did not watch the game because I was busy. I do not care for Rapinoe very much but I would not let her influence whether I watch a game or not.

Edit: I should add I have it recorded and will watch it sometime this week assuming the storm forming in the gulf does not impact my area. .

#1782 cml750, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. bobrek

Good luck with the storm....I think we caught a couple inches of rain from some of it in the St Petersburg area yesterday.

cml750 likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

I think if he did that he wouldn’t be able to come off so gleefully misogynistic.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

US Women vs Brazil Men.

Who ya got?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Are you too dumb to realize when someone is actually agreeing with you?

Men beating the snot out of women in almost every sport is not the key figure here.

The key is that men athletically are stronger and faster and therefore produce a more compelling product.

That is borne out in the money pools for each sport.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A certain poster who is gleefully comparing the abilities of the USWNT to men’s teams has clearly never competed against women who play sports at a high level. Calling out a “loss” to a U-15 MLS team during a scrimmage, as if such a situation were a truly competitive match, smacks of stupidity.

I remember this type of guy from my IM days at UT. These loudmouths would talk a ton of smack when they saw women on the other side of the field and promptly got their asses handed to them the moment the ball was kicked off. It turns out that any woman who has years of experience with high-level competition and coaching can run circles around an “athletic” man who thinks he is better by virtue of his gender. The same thing happens on the basketball court and it’s always a joy to watch.

NewRoxFan and Torn n Frayed like this.
  9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I didn’t see any agreement there. People watch the best sport just like they buy the best product.

If women in sports did equal work then they might receive equal pay.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Scrimmage or not, it's a bad look for professional players to lose against teenage amateurs. There is a clear difference in physicality of sports between men and women, and for that reason, most sports viewers will favor the men's competition over women's. As such, men's sports will get the viewers and sponsorship, and the money that follows.

Take tennis as another example where women are trying to lobby for equal pay. The 203rd ranked man beat the Williams sisters convincingly while drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. Women also play less tennis than men do.

Not sure why this is even getting debated here. IDIOT.

11. MystikArkitect

Wonder what gets better ratings. Women’s gymnastics or men’s gymnastics.

Men being physically superior and all.

12. bobrek

What do you think the result would have been had the women been playing for something? I'm guessing somewhere around 8-0 in favor of the women.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This old story about the Williams sisters is nonsense -- two pros of their caliber and they had never played/practiced against a ranked man or high level college player... they had no idea they couldn't beat a male tennis pro until a drunk folk hero stumbled out of a bar. They practice and play with men all the time -- they knew very well they wouldn't be competitive.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15 years old is about right any older and the men would be far too fast/strong/etc. We had the top team in Texas D1 at 15 and there is no way the women's team could dominate us -- it would be a close game. 16+ the women get run off the field.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think sports are not a good example to use in the equal pay for equal work arena as sports stars aren't paid by how much they work but how much they bring in. Every basketball player pretty much puts in the same amount of "office time" in terms of games and practices - but they definitely don't get paid the same.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd guess 8-0 in favor of the men.
    They had confidence they could beat any man ranked around 200. After getting beaten convincingly, they revised it to 350. Braasch said he was playing around the skill level of 600.

I enjoy women's sports and support the USWNT and watch women's tennis. But when they try to be political and lobby for equal pay, they should be realistic and logical.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

5-0 boys

You are seriously underestimating the difference in agility, strength and speed the boys will have.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://rollingout.com/2015/12/03/r...zTmrvo3zpFlCL7xCxJ-nkbYTNZu-voRFE3eYKnr4piPQI

Racist police in Alabama planted drugs and guns on over 1,000 innocent Black men

This is why your statistics don't mean much
    cause there is a thumb on the scale

Rocket River

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually when it comes to gymnastics women are superior. While men are more powerful they don't have nearly the balance to do what the women do and that's why they have different apparatus. Men could never do a vault as it would destroy their legs. They don't have the balance to do a cartwheel on a balance beam.

Ice skating might be a better comparison. Women's ice skating dominates men's and I am sure women get paid much much more.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is there any data to suggest that men are worse at "balance"?