1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You said basically everyone is anti-war. I wanted to know if you were serious, because if you are, that's naive. There are PLENTY of people who are pro-war. A lot.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, the statement "Basically, everyone is anti-war" is very naive.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trump sure had quite the reaction for something that got nothing accomplished.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

That is because police shootings is a fake issue. There are very, very few bad shootings, and those are prosecuted (like Officer Slager shooting Mr. Scott in the back as he was running away, who has now plead guilty in Federal Court and is facing 25 years). Focusing on police shootings is a losing proposition, because they almost invariably turn out more like the Michael Brown case than the Walter Scott case.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I love how the Republican "patriots" turned the blind eye to the Russian hacking/meddling in our democratic elections lolllll

Irony..

Maybe not so patriotic after all. :rolleyes:

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I love that we have people still pushing the narrative that it was Russia's fault that you couldn't polish the absolute turd that is Hillary Clinton as a candidate for president enough to sell to the American people.

ipaman and sugrlndkid like this.
  7. krnxsnoopy

I love how you turn the blind eye to Russian hacking/meddling Bobbyboy.

Also enjoying your obvious attempt at marginalizing the attack on our democratic process by essentially saying "Hacking doesn't matter, Hillary is a bad candidate" :D

I love how you defend Trump at every opportunity (even if you supposedly didn't vote for him :rolleyes:)

One thing is clear, Trump won't attack two groups of people: Putin and white supremacists. Everyone else is fair game to his twitter attacks lol.

8. TheresTheDagger

Yes, I am serious. In my experience, I can't recall anyone I've ever met who longs for war.

But maybe you and I have different definitions of what being "pro war" is. My definition is someone who actively wishes for war over peace and is very easily provoked into conflict over the smallest of things.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Expand your horizons. There were plenty of young naive 18 year olds that joined Marine Corps infantry longing for their combat action ribbon.

DudeWah and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you took a poll that had two questions:

I'd like the earth to be a place where there were never any wars
    I'd like the earth to be a place where there is the occasional war

Don't you think the vast, vast majority of people would answer the first?

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Turn a blind eye to it? I've never said that it didn't happen....it just didn't seriously affect the election....and it's not a new thing either. The reasons people don't like and didn't vote for Hillary weren't due to some hacking or due to some Russian troll farm, they didn't like her due to decades of knowing her. It's kind of funny how people on the left always seem to make excuses for why they lose presidential elections, in 2000 they couldn't just take the L, they had to invent a conspiracy theory and go on about how the election was "stolen" and now instead of taking the L and realizing why it really happened in order to learn from the mistakes, everything is being blamed on troll farms and Russians. You are doomed to repeat these same mistakes if you can't sack up and admit to them and your last mistake gave us Donald Trump as president, something I didn't think possible. I, like most everyone else, just assumed that literally anyone could beat Trump in a one on one race.....but then the left managed to find the one person that couldn't do it and you guys need to take responsibility for that really stupid decision.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Late to the party. It looks to me like a government official is trying to suppress the speech of a citizen by applying pressure on his employer to terminate him. Sounds to me like official repression and a literal violation of players' first amendment rights. Players should probably sue the federal government.

Kaepernick was getting more support this year, including white players who were knelt in solidarity when it was still about police brutality. Trump probably wouldn't have said anything if he wasn't afraid of kneeling contagion. Trump ended up exacerbating things and making it about himself by opening his mouth, which is his MO. It looks like a lot of players are not even on board with the protest, which is why they lock arms instead of kneeling. They don't want to join the protest but they want to show solidarity in the face of official repression. Its obvious that even the players that don't agree with Kaepernick don't appreciate an outsider trying to tell them what they can and can't do.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see any team picking up Kap. Even Bortles is playing better.
    The only team is his old team the 49ers cause Hoyer is Hoyer.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

HakeemOnlyFan and Air Langhi like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The number of instances don't make an issue fake. And it's not merely shootings, it's police conduct overall. The shootings are merely the highest profile within a much larger problem. Trying to misrepresent an issue to poke holes in it is incredibly lame.

HakeemOnlyFan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The same people hating on these athletes
    are
    the same people that endorse the kentucky lady NOT DOING HER JOB with those Marriage licenses

Rocket River

HakeemOnlyFan and el gnomo like this.
  17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

The post I quoted specifically said police shootings. Kaepernick himself said, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." I'm sorry you don't like the way the issue was framed, but I wasn't the one who framed it.

18. CometsWin

You know full well the data as I've presented it to you before that demonstrates an oppression of black people. You even bolded one part without bolding his initial statement on oppression, preferring to use an example of oppression rather than the overriding issue. You're playing a petty game of willful ignorance and you should be ashamed of yourself. Seriously, just shameful,

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  19. CometsWin

I feel I could post this every time you make one of your obtuse posts on race in America and it would be appropriate.

20. krnxsnoopy

Another classic example of Bobby turning the blind eye to Russian hacking/meddling, and switching the discussion/narrative to Hillary taking the "L".

He doesn't care about Russian attack on our democratic process. Just wants to talk about Hillary's "L"

Lol.....

Nothing makes Bobby feel more warm and fuzzy inside than Libruls taking the "L"s, and talking about it... a lot.

He also likes talking about the flag/anthem and identifies himself as a patriot. But doesn't care about the Russian hacking and just wants to talk about Hillary. LMAO

HakeemOnlyFan and el gnomo like this.