1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[COD BOMB] Rockets have a backup plan for BIG 6 if signing Lebron fails in the summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Oh I see. It’s actually like $27.9 mil. LeBron would be $36 mil.

Knicks refused to deal Melo to Houston. Melo just took a detour for a year. Codman mentioned that ears
    hear Melo doesn’t like playing with Westbrook nor playing for Billy Donavan. Team is designed to help
    Westbrook get triple doubles. Olajuwon would have elbowed Russell back into last Tuesday if Westbrook
    tried to get all the rebounds. This non-sense of Steven Adams blocking out guys so that Westbrook gets the
    rebound is BS. Melo and Paul George know this.

It’s about the Thunder organization knowing that PG and Melo might leave, while Westbrook is staying.
    It’s an attempt to attract other free agents because nobody wants to go to OKC willingly.

The hope is that free agents will be tricked into thinking things will be easy....because Westbrook does
    everything.

No State Tax turns that $28 mil in Oklahoma to about $24 mil in Texas. At least I don’t think Oklahoma
    is a “no state tax” location. I can see Melo playing in Houston for $20 mil. Approx the Ryno amount.
    Conveniently what Ryan would make before a trade.

And then afford to bring the gang back together. GG/Luc/Ariza/ .........Capela/CP3 (possibly over the luxury)

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

cont’d from post #381

Spot Up (17/18)
    Melo: 23.9% frequency........1.02 ppp..............59.3 NBA percentile
    Tucker: 50.1% frequency.....1.01 ppp..............56.3 NBA percentile

Catch and Shoot (17/18)
    Melo: 1.9 (3PM)..........5.1 (3PA)............37.2 (3P%)..........53.4% (eFG%)
    Tucker: 1.4 (3PM).......3.6 (3PA)............37.8 (3P%)..........55.3% (eFG%)

The attempts are the difference in catch and shoot.

Just that Melo gives you more in the form of iso, post ups, cutters, put backs, off screens, hand offs, etc.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ariza is nice, but he isn't good enough to chase/defend long athletic 3's. Luc can do that, but he is injured.
    I would like to see Clint traded to the Magic or in a 3 way deal for Simmons, if they can absorb his future contract( I expect it to be no more than 10 M a year.) Add a low first rounder to seal the deal if needed.
    I hope the Magic will be able to send Biyombo plus pick(s) to the Clippers, who are looking for physical minded players.

Sign Amir Johnson for 8 M and sign Hartenstein instead of Black. I love Nene's heart and spirit, but I think he might retire if he can't play well in the playoffs. If Detroit can take Ryan plus a first rounder from
    Houston, that would be even better. I don't know their cap room situation though. Another target should be a better backup PG. I don't see anyone coming cheaply though. If Green or a healthy Luc can be re-signed for the BLE after that, I will be very happy.
    The bottom line is unless we get tougher and more athletic, we will struggle mightily.
    I was hoping that Lebron or Paul George would consider us strongly, but with all the injuries and our recent struggles, I don't see them coming to Houston. My gut feeling is that Melo will stay one more year in OKC.

#383 saleem, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

See Codman post #287

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ariza is a keeper. Locker room glue guy. Players (with Houston and outside the team) like him.
    I agree, Ariza is better suited for backup wing. Thus the smaller contract in my opinion. Very adequate in a
    pinch off the bench if someone gets injured.

I want Luc to be with the Rockets another year.

Gerald Green is awesome. Bleeds Rockets/Houston. Match made in heaven.

Simmons is good. Morey type production over salary guys. Aaron Gordon would be my preference over LeBron.
    Production without drama (LeBron) plus cheaper at about $26 mil per year on the average of the contract.

Pistons like Ryan Anderson. For some reason Suns keep coming to mind as a Ryan Anderson destination.
    Guess because they are rebuilding and can swallow Ryan Anderson’s contract for cash/draft picks. They
    are 2 years away anyway from smelling the playoffs. Upcoming drafts are stacked with talent in 1st & 2nd rds.

s3ts, saleem and D-rock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not agree more regarding 4 spot. If that spot is upgraded it will be for a player who is as good/almost as good as Tuck defensively first priority. Offensive contribution is important but secondary. Harden, Paul and EGo are the primary scorers.

So starter at 4 spot needs to stretch floor, be able to finish, rebound and most importantly switch on D like a madman. Lebron is not that good/motivated a defender anymore. George would be great because of his D, handles, youth as well as 3ball. Same with AG. But all those upgrade options cost so much more than PJ.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Like we struggled to 65 wins, a #1 seed, one of the most efficient offenses in NBA history, the 4th-best road record ever, etc.?

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only reason why we have this regular season record is because of Harden/ Chris/EG, and hard nosed guys like Tucker, Luc. Ariza has played above his average due to less pressure. Green gets credit too.

Clint looks decent to good because of our guards. He shrinks like a violet when he sees Adams. Ryan has lost all confidence in himself, and is the most erratic Rocket. Ariza is struggling, Tucker is overworked. Luc is out. Even EG is coming back from an injury. We should get past the Wolves, but they won't be a pushover by any means.

I don't think we can bring
    ourselves to the level when we beat the Celtics, Portland behind the Beard's 42 points etc without being fully fit( physically and mentally).

Long, athletic and physical players give us
    problems. It's all about mismatches, smarts, and defense. That's not easy for any team, I admit. I'm afraid that we are running out of gas. Hence, the skepticism on my part.

#388 saleem, Apr 15, 2018
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , everyone talking about acquiring all these big names but no one has an idea of how they are gonna be paid .....

As for the Rockets group of FA's -

Ariza has full bird rights and the team can exceed the cap to resign him.

CP3 is also a Bird FA and they can exceed the cap for him.

Luc is a NON Bird FA , they have two choices with him - 125% of his current contract or the MLE. He's on what amounts to a veterans minimum deal this season , I think they have to use the MLE on him or someone else is gonna offer substantially more.

Green is also a NON Bird FA , they can offer him 125% of his current deal and I think he'd take it and be happy ..... Another team would have to pay him a lot more money / years to pry him away from living the dream of playing for his hometown team.

Capella is a restricted FA , the Rockets can (and most likely will) match any deal he gets - I don't know what he'll end up being paid but they'll be over the cap no matter how much it is.

So , they have NO CAP ROOM to sign a free agent other than a minimum contract. How are they going to fit in TWO big names when all they have to work with is the contracts of Ryno , Gordon and Tucker to match salaries.
    Ryno alone isn't enough to absorb Lebron's $36m , you need roughly $28.7m in outgoing salary to absorb that $36m. (125%+100k) Ryno's ~$20m leaving you $8.7m short meaning you must add one of Tucker or Gordon.

So lets say they don't get Lebron and go another route - they still cant sign anyone outright as a free agent other than a vet min (or MLE losing Luc).
    They still only have Ryno , Tucker and Gordon's contracts to absorb salary .....

You essentially have One Bullet to fire in Ryno's contract to absorb salary , that player is going to have to have some leverage over their current team to force their way here in exchange for Anderson and draft pick(s). Gordon not being involved gets you to a Big 5.

Big 6 just doesn't work financially unless someone is coming for the minimum or the MLE but that likely means Luc is elsewhere next year.

Someone explain to me how we get to Big 6. I just don't see it in the numbers. DJ aint gonna pass up that $25m player option to come play for the hometown team for the veterans minimum.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@Corrosion
    All good points.

I’m out of the discussion. I don’t want to discuss Tucker/Gordon/Capela/other’s in trade scenarios.
    I want the players giving their all in to each and every playoff game without distractions.
    Some Rockets (current and former players or associates) may read postings from CF’s.

If everyone plays well and the Rockets get to the title game....everyone gets re-signed plus a move like
    Jerami Grant & Devin Harris add-ons. Plus Hartenstein/ Qi getting playing time.

Plenty of time after the season to go over details.

#390 ApacheWarrior, Apr 15, 2018
    Invisible Fan and s3ts like this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

Struggle might be the wrong word but we do need to get younger on the wings

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PJ Tucker is truly light years better than Ersan Ilyasova.

And Carmelo is a net negative...

bulkatron and s3ts like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Have you watched Kevin Love in game one.

No defense, completely slow laterally, no chance vs Pacers. Yet CF’s call for him. Just a slightly better
    rebounder and passer than the guy we got (Ryan Anderson).

bulkatron likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

A huge part of the reason the Rockets are essentially undefeated with PJ Tucker starting this year, is because not only should he be on the All-Defensive First team, but he is the best left corner three point shooter in the NBA. Guess who the best is in the right corner? That's right, Trevor Ariza.

If PJ Tucker, Trevor Ariza and Luc are all healthy, CARMELO won't play. He simply isn't good enough on defense, and his efficiency on offense completely destroys our offense. On top of that, watch PJ/Ariza and Luc bust their ass on defense every night, and then break to their respective spots on Offense. In the same way that Clint is an elite rim-runner, PJ/Trev/Moute are elite corner runners. They haul ass to their spots and stretch out the defense in an instant.

After COMPLETELY DOMINATING on both ends this year, I SIMPLY CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FOOLS WANT TO BRING CANCER BACK TO HOUSTON.

DEAR LORD, We just got rid of Dwight! LET IT GO!

bulkatron, ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I certainly don't call for him even a little bit. We already have the best offense in NBA history.

PJ Tucker is literally perfect. We need knifefighters in there with James Harden. We need to hide James Harden amongst bulldogs.

ramotadab, s3ts and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like your enthusiasm.

We are going to see how a 6’6” Tucker plays power forward in the playoffs. Tucker is great. But he is going to
    need a lot help in the playoffs. Lack of height along with lack of good leaping ability tends to be tough for
    guys going up against players who are 4 inches taller and heavier.

Just recommend we exercise caution. I’m hoping it works great. But there is a reason why the Warriors
    don’t play Draymond at Center full time either. It takes a toll on the body. Draymond has great leaping
    ability to make up for lack of height.

17. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We can sign durrant. He will jump out the contract

s3ts likes this.
  18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

If the land implodes, the love will be reborn. Then, the other pieces will fall. If the lighting fails to connect, Lucky Slevin gets his to make his own decisions.

This is in @Codman signature

hakeem94 and whiskeyred like this.
  19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

My dream would be to land Lebron and get Redick for the MLE. Could you imagine three HOF playmakers and creators in ISO along with a kick out target like Redick? It just wouldn't be fair.

20. s3ts

s3ts Member

I say PG only stays in OKC if they make conf finals. Otherwise, I see PG leaving and OKC keeping Melo.

Honestly, I don't quite understand the infatuation with Melo. If you've at least watched Houston play them, you wouldn't want him.

hakeem94 likes this.