1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi]Singletary to interview with Cowboys

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Jan 30, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know we hate the Cowboys, but we should root for Htown's own Mike Singletary to get the job. A win for minority coaching and putting a member of the legendary 85 Bears defense back in the scene.
    ...BEARS!!
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/29/bc.fbn.cowboys.singletary.ap/index.html
    Singletary to interview with Cowboys
    Posted: Monday January 29, 2007 7:23PM; Updated: Monday January 29, 2007 8:17PM

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Add Mike Singletary to the list of candidates to become coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

The Hall of Fame linebacker will interview Tuesday with team owner Jerry Jones. He'll become the eighth candidate considered to replace Bill Parcells.

Best known for his ferocious play with the Chicago Bears, Singletary is a Houston native who played college football at Baylor. He's been coaching in the NFL since 2003, spending two years with Baltimore and the last two with the San Francisco 49ers.

Another 49ers assistant, offensive coordinator Norv Turner, has been viewed as the front-runner in Dallas, but he returned to the Bay Area following his interview Sunday.

The Cowboys already have hired Jason Garrett and are considering him for the head coaching job or likely will make him offensive coordinator. Defensive coordinators Wade Phillips of San Diego and former Oklahoma coach Gary Gibbs, now of the New Orleans Saints, also are being considered.

Jones also has talked to three members of Parcells' staff, including Todd Bowles, who is black, thus fulfilling the league requirement for a minority candidate.

Singletary, 48, retired after the 1992 season and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1998. He spent his post-playing days doing motivational speaking, writing books and co-founding a company that provides leadership training, then got into coaching in 2003.

After failing to land the head coaching job at Baylor, Singletary was hired by Baltimore and spent two seasons guiding the inside linebackers. Mike Nolan was the team's defensive coordinator and when he became the head coach in San Francisco, Singletary followed. He was assistant head coach for linebackers, then named assistant head coach for defense last season.

Parcells resigned last Monday, ending a four-year run in which he went 34-32 and failed to win a playoff game over four seasons.

The Cowboys lost four of their last five games this past season, with defense the weak link.

Jones may not hold a lack of NFL head coaching experience against Singletary; Parcells was the first coach in club history with that on his resume. All five head coaches NFL teams have hired this offseason are first-timers.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I heard them talk about it this morning on 610. I hope he gets the job. I think he would make a good coach. But since I hate the cowboys,ummmm i don't know.....tough decision.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he too strong a personality for JJ

Rocket River

4. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I actually like Singeltary. I'd hate to have to root for him to fail every week.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Please don't do it, Mike. You're too good for the Cowboys!!!

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe Baylor didn't hire him. I mean, he only became a HALL OF FAME NFL PLAYER and he's a BAYLOR ALUM and he's won a SUPERBOWL.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

As a life long Bears fan, I feel exactly the same way!

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I would be shocked is they go this route...I mean, no head coaching experience...However, with in experience, means JJ could medle and f' things up, again...Plus, if it doesn't work out after a year, then maybe BillC will be available...

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well I am so sick of hearing about the minority rule/title 9/afirmative action .

This is 2007 and if I were black I would be pissed off that folks thought less of me to the point that special rules needed to be made to help me out. Now some can say certain folks are discriminated against (it goes on every day to every race including white people) but it's time to move on and moniter situations not make special rules.

Now we can argue admision standards, major company hiring guildlines/procedures another day but as far as the NFL and other major sports leagues go I think we are to the point where folks just want to win and "lets find the best candidate"

I am a white male who gets sick thinking about all the racism and wrong doing over the years not only in this country but also around the world but it is time to make things level folks. Asian people seem to have zero problem coming to America and suceeding why should some american born citizans be given an easier path based on skin colar?

If Mike is the right candidate hire him if he is not don't.

I don't care if there are 32 white coaches or 32 black coaches but to say an organization (sports are any other needs to adjust it's standards on race) is a joke.

Good luck Texas Native and hall of famer Mike Singletary!

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

couldnt agree more

fact is, Singletary is a token interview imo....since Jj got blasted by only interviewing an african american from within the organization...same way Denny Green was a token interview when they were about to hire Parcells

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

diversionary