1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchSads] "The way the Rockets play aren't appealing to other players"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Feb 14, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Recently Clutchfans is really growing into two factions.

The people who realize that the season isn't over until 82 games and (hopefully) a playoff run.
    And the people who are so afraid of defeat that they're acting like the Rockets keyed their car and kicked their dog.

From the Markieff Morris thread:
    I really don't get why a narrative this low in quality (and "James Harden should want to leave", "our window is closing", "Clint won't fix anything, it's all about attitude") is stemming from CLUTCHFANS. Where's the upside in fake complaining like this? Doesn't it hurt being this wrong AND negative?

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP ROCKETS FANS. This is a fan site, not a therapy site. Enjoy the All-Star weekend, President's Day holiday.... kick back and relax.

Austin Rivers:
    "Why not Houston? Look at how they play. Everything they do, I like to do. Offensively they like to run and gun. They shoot the 3, get to the basket, which is all I like to do. Once they said Houston, I was, ‘This is where I got to go, man. This is where I got to go.’ And as you see, it’s been great."
    Kenneth Faried:
    “A team that trusts to start me and gives me meaningful minutes at the end of close-out games, that means a lot."
    Iman Shumpert:
    "This team is trying to take the next step, capture the flag so to speak. It’s always good to earn your jewelry instead of buying it.”
    Clint Capela:
    "When I first moved here, I got an apartment right down the street (from Toyota Center) because I didn’t know what to expect. Every day, I’m so happy to be here. It’s more than I ever dreamed.”
    Chris Paul:
    "In free agency, it was my decision to join the Rockets. I love it here. I love it here."
    PJ Tucker:
    "Every free agency I like to do a list of places that I think I fit, and places I want to be. And for me, I wanted to go to Houston. I thought the direction of the team was a great fit. You know, the Raptors offered more money, but I felt like I wanted to go to a place where I could thrive and I could win."
    James Harden:
    "I know where home is. I know where I want to be, I know where I want to retire, ultimately, and I know where I want to win a championship. Everything is going to happen here in Houston and that's the reason I'm here for forever."

#1 napalm06, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Why don’t you quote my whole post instead of taking apart of it to make your thread. It is documented that players like Ariza and Gordon was not fond of the offense. So there are players out there that it’s not appealing to. Doesn’t mean it’s everyone.

s3ts and hakeem94 like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Right, so we got some players, that's all well and good. But unless we get EVERYONE that ANY fan wants, then the style of play isn't appealing, and Tilman is cheap.

[[Tilman probably is broke and cheap]]

chadyang, topfive and Blurr#7 like this.
  4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Only Rivers and Faried's quotes were from this season, and one of them was out an NBA rotation for years while the other was on a sharp decline with a likely exit out of the league. Both players signed when there was a gaping hole at their positions due to injuries. I'm not jumping up and down because we can convince the Austin Rivers/Kenneth Faried's of the world to sign with us.

Houston's offense has stagnated to a brutally slow place, and it's evident that players are not as engaged as they were in previous years. The quality of play on both ends of the floor has also fell off a cliff this season compared to last year, so we can't get away with a "join the best team in the NBA!" sales pitch this season.

The offense is hideous to watch. Hideous. Our conference rivals (and even teams like Indiana, who Wes Matthews chose over us) have a much more engaging offense that gets players involved. In 2019, if you don a Rockets uniform your job is to stand still and watch Harden/Paul iso and hope for an open 3 OR set a pick to create a mismatch for Harden/Paul. That's it. Players will not improve in this system and they're smart for choosing other teams over us.

BigggReddd, s3ts, PDJACK7 and 6 others like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is this narrative that Charles and the TNT guys spread around that all Harden does is ballhog so no one wants to play with him. It was spread so much if you remember that everyone thought Harden couldn't play with CP3. That it was impossible, only one ball, he wouldn't be able to play with him.

It's odd to me because Lebron does the same thing...Lebron basically takes over PG duties for his team, even if Rondo is in the game...Lebron demands anyone he plays with to stand behind the 3 point line for the kick out. The way teams play with through them is basically the same, drive and kick, just that Lebron is more of a threat driving and Harden is more of a threat hitting 3 pointers.

But only one guy has this narrative of being a ballhog that no one wants to play with...

[​IMG]

Conspiracy folks.

beard4life, D-rock, chadyang and 10 others like this.
  6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

ClutchSads lol

If you told me at the beginning of the year this would be our roster...

CP3/Rivers
    MVP/Gordon
    Shumpert/Green
    TuckWagon/an emerging House
    Capela/Manimal

Sign me up, we could go to war with that healthy squad

D-rock, awc713, TheAusDream and 9 others like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It's called 'emotional hedging'...

"Betting against one’s sports team could theoretically satisfy the behavioral economist in many. After all, as Boston University business professor Casey Morewedge notes, “Logic strongly recommends this kind of emotional hedge. Consider that for most people, losing something hurts more than gaining that same thing feels good — a phenomenon known as loss aversion.” And betting that your side will lose helps minimize your potential losses rather than maximize your potential gains."

instead of betting... people just use it so if bad things happen - they can say "see - I was right..."

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sounds like somebody is looking for a valentine

HakeemOnlyFan and ryano2009 like this.
  9. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

those old heads are colorstruck and just dont want harden to tie curry in mvps

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Lmfao

Rocket River likes this.
  11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Seems to me that some players are having fun, while others are not.

Perhaps the organization could provide these sad individuals with a life coach???

Do something Morey!!!!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Theking

Theking Member

I should provide you with a stone cold stunner

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This thread sucks

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

As much as you are correct, I actually immediately started to wonder why Morris didn’t want to come here and the first thing that popped up is he must have watched the last 10 games or so and wondered how he would fit in or if he would enjoy it. I mean when we say the offense is predictable, defensive teams know either it’s a 3 or at the basket. You have to be a top top scorer to score in a not so free flowing offense. Which is why Harden is the one who is most successful.

Dantoni went from a beautiful playbook to benching players who take a midrange shot. Not running plays just dribbling the ball to find a mismatch and hope one superior player can score over elite defenders...

slothy420, bmelo and Jontro like this.
  15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I understand where OP is trying to go but I disagree. The idea that you are right and above everyone else is silly. The other silly thought is dividing everyone into two categories when we all feel different and the same about certain things. Then the post basically devolves into the thought that we should all be yes fans and we can't have anything truthful or thoughtful to say about the Rockets or its called "Therapy" I guess. Weird post for me dog.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I will say that there is more movement when Harden is off the court. Its like other guys are more interested because they realize there's a chance they get the ball if they move around. Moreover, when Harden passes out its like he gives up on the play and stands around to watch. No running around, setting screens, etc. It's just not a very strong offense to watch play, and this is really the first year we've played like this. Reminds me at times of the offense we used to see with Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley where they'd literally iso every possession - that team swore up and down 'no one wanted to play us' in the playoffs, though of course we didnt make the playoffs to begin with.

Rox11 and jacoby like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ask yourself why the offense is so bad and the pace so slow … Its because they have been running backups and Dleaguers and two guys who were out of the league out there for half the season - Harden has no choice but to do the heavy lifting when the 2nd and 3rd best players on the roster are unable to play. They fact that they are still in the playoff hunt is a testament to how historically great Harden has been over that stretch.
    Unlike last year when the team was relatively healthy for much of the season - Harden made Ariza $15m giving him all those open 3's.

Once they get healthy and the offense gets its #2 weapon back in Capela … things will look a lot different.

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s only one real faction that matter
    @Os Trigonum

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This post sucks, every post by you and your fellow self-hating manic depressive tribemates is just noise pollution on what was once a proud fan site. I remember a time when a lot of you guys would have fun conversation on here. Disagreement is fine. Complete toxicity is annoying.

Weird twist on the topic. But hey, everything has to be controversy now.

I'm not "right" about anything because I'm not "predicting" anything. If the Rockets lose in the playoffs we'll have that discussion and I'll complain a lot about Harden or Draymond Green or Tillman or Scott Foster. Right now, the point is that the people who are always making up fabricated gloom and doom finally drove me to the point of an insane thread.

Morris didn't choose the Rockets. It's a tough break. Sometimes free agents choose a different team among the 30 teams in the NBA. Life will go on. The Rockets franchise will not lose all value.

Not really venting at you specifically. The negativity on here has just reached a fever pitch and it's begging for a devil's advocate.

#19 napalm06, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    skroodup25, D-rock, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not true, our offense this year is actually better than it was last year.

Would you prefer having an offense that is engaging, gets players involved, is fun to watch, but scores less points?