1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: As they near a superstar trio, Rockets go up for sale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

FIRST!

Edit: Now, time to listen.

3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Perfect time to sell if you are Les. More bang for the buck.

4. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Bad timing Les, I wonder if it's a distraction for the Mellow man?!!!

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Already reported that it's not a factor and Melo is firm as ever on Houston.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, about this quote

The Rockets are right at the cusp of creating a superstar trio in Houston
    I'll need that put in terms of what yard line we are on, and the level of "imminent"-cy, please. I'm having trouble getting my head around what these expressions mean, and don't need to add another one to the mix. :)

D-rock, CCity Zero and Plowman like this.
  8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks guys

9. JD88

JD88 Member

Cusp > Imminent?

10. heypartner

Regarding the doom and gloom of Les leaving in the podcast ... I gotta say to @Clutch and @BimaThug; imo, you're a little over-the-top with fear of change. There is a lot of room for owner improvement. Les is not a very good owner at all wrt to energizing the fans to show up and cheer loud....to get behind the team. There is no excuse vs what Cuban achieves in Dallas....and every other playoff team.

It's like Les' ticket sales are plastic sales....there is no city, spirit and heart behind selling that lower bowl to help the players. We are a laughing stock in the league. The absolute worst playoff team last year. A new owner definitely has a lot of room to improve that. The doom and gloom (and "cloud") might be true for employees, but could be the best thing to happen to the fans and players by making TC loud, finally.

Talk of hamstringing Morey seems way too much negativity and just fear of change. Unlikely any new owner destroys Morey's plans or chases away Paul, etc. Maybe the worst happens, but slim chance versus the absolute certainty Les wasn't going to do anything to change the TC atmosphere to help the team in the playoffs and regular season. That is a "must change" thing to me. No excuses.

Les might have been good (in a "Do no harm" way) on the basketball side of the business (albeit, mandating Morey never tank), but Les is horrible on the Fan Spirit and Team Spirit side of the business to fill up the stadium and make it loud. After signing checks, that's his primary job, imo, and Tad Brown's.

#10 heypartner, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the $1 hot dogs and beer? Lol. I'm just playing @heypartner, I definitely agree with you.

heypartner likes this.
  12. micah1j

micah1j Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

I am more concerned about winning than having a loud arena.

mario_v and justtxyank like this.
  14. heypartner

So am I. But every other playoff team in the league is also not concerned about having a loud arena...because *they already have one*, and we don't.

What you fear is a new owner will Do Harm vs "Do no harm" on winning. It's very easy for an owner to do no harm, and just back Morey's decisions. But Morey can't help us with our miserable HCA record vs the league. That's the owner, which Les failed miserably at. HCA has a direct correlation to wins. The history of our HCA wins in the regular season are very weak to the league. The numbers are clear. Loud fans is an intangible, but its affect isn't mythical.

queue all the excuses we make up for Les and Houston, when Cuban and Dallas have never exhibited those problems.

Hakeemtheking and RocketsMAN! like this.
  15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Cusp = 2 yard line

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@heypartner even if a new owner accepts Morey's opinions, it doesnt mean he will back Morey's suggestions with money. Clippers weren't willing to do 5 years for CP3. Les appears fine with that. Will the new owner? Will the new owner buy draft picks? Will the new owner go over the Luxury Tax for a really good team? We know what Les would do, but not a new owner. So there is caution there.

xiki, HakeemOnlyFan and CCity Zero like this.
  17. bigred77

bigred77 Member

I honestly think for an owner to reach "actively did no harm" status puts them in the top half the NBA.

If you add in "hire smart, capable people and don't interfere" on top of that, you hit top 5 overall in the NBA.

I don't think the bar is all that high, put apparently it is among the minority of Billionaires capable of becoming owners.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, that's true, hopefully the new owner(s) has/have passion about Rocket bball, and realize that going over the tax is the only option to have a chance to compete against the Warriors. And also with Harden and hopefully Paul locked up it gives a shot for something special, especially if Melo joins and plays knowing he doesn't have to be #1...

I can understand Les selling (the timing is good for the money he can make) but not good for the team/fans if the new owner is a cheap ass.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it may be placing the blame in the wrong spot to assume that Les has something to do with Houston sports fans being passive.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

nice podcast as always guys.

Clutch, i had that same feeling in the pit of my stomach when i heard Les was selling the team. There have been times i've disagreed and criticized him on this board, but my immediate gut reaction was one of despair. Les has been a good owner. And regardless, the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't.

#20 Aruba77, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    don grahamleone, Clutch and mario_v like this.