1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2019 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 11, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Philly has floor spacing bigs. We need to poach one of theirs (Bolden).

Deckard, Nook and Deuce like this.
  2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

We need Shumpert at the $13+M level on a 3yr with the last two NG as you said. We are allowed to trade up to 120% of his current contract without triggering base year compensation rules that would limit his trade value to half. Sac gets hard-capped and Philly is free because they are not receiving a S&T. Nene retires so all parties are happy. It works without Sac but obviously better with them.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  3. bynxdr88

bynxdr88 Member

Jimmy butler is going to the rockets!!!!

RichieBanks likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But not before the draft. Not that it matters a ton for this Rockets team... but it is interesting. Wonder if things would change if players had opt out dates that were required to be before the draft?

I was never really down with this case study as a means not to move 4 first rounds. The Nets trade was moronic in its own right. They traded for a 36 year old Paul Pierce and 37 year old KG.

The more relevant example of why not to do it is because there are actually good players at the end of the first round. That's where Clint Capela came from. Or Kuzma. Or any number of examples. Given their cap situation, seems like a decent way to add cheap talent.

----

Regarding Shumpert, since it seems everyone is now looking to that as a way to improve the roster - S&T - i'ts hard to put into workds how bad Shumpert was for the Rockets.... only redeemed by two "ok" at best showings against GSW.

So it's hard for me envisioning any team wanting to pay Shumpert even in the $8 million range...

... But then, the Suns gave Trevor Ariza $15 million last offseason...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Don't be so pessimistic. Morey could be gone or have permission from Tilman to truly tank for rebuild.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I would buy a second round pick this year I mean what do you have to loose there is a guy that would be a good second round pick from Virginia Kyle Guy or Jack Salt 7Ft from Virginia

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@BimaThug

Assuming butler opts in , can we acquire him in a 3-way deal

I know Gordon + Nene
    Or Clint +nene match salary wise

Is it possible we can send them to a 3rd team in return for a piece philly wants more ?

I'm sure if the answer is no to the previous question .... the answer to the next one is also no .... but , can we use shumpert as part of a trade for butler if Jimmy opts in ?

I don't like relying on shumpert having to sign a deal that matches the other team's salary matching needs . I would rather just have knights expiring . From the little I know , we can't offer him a 1 year deal for a large amount ? It hasn't to be a multiple year contract where the later years aren't guaranteed ? Is that correct ?

Let's hope if it comes to it , shumpert is willing to take a large sum this year in return for no guarantees later on .

Of course , given that he is a free agent ... all it takes is another team to offer a deal that he signs and we are placed on a timetable to match ... no ?

I see a lot of moving pieces , a lot of ways other teams can **** us .

I'm not looking forward to this offseason lol

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The short answer is YES, they can do all of what you describe. But whichever team acquires the S&T’d Shumpert will be hard capped.

JoeBarelyCares and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@BimaThug, feels like S&T's are SUPER RARE these days with the current CBA and hard capping. Am I remembering right and did the Nuggets S&T Gallo to the Clippers? Has there been any other S&T's recently?

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, sign-and-trade deals have been very rare under the last two CBAs (2011 and 2017). The Gallo S&T is the only one that comes to mind under the current CBA. While I do not expect many S&T deals to happen, this is the first summer under the new CBA in which most teams are far enough below the apron level to be able to take on a S&T'd player, especially if they gain something (whether cap flexibility or another asset) for structuring it that way.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

First order of business is to convince Rivers to stay at MLE. He is the only one worth a crap the others can be offered Vet min or nothing.

Secondly a trade for Butler would be amazing EG has been great and would fit Sixers way better while Rox obv need a major talent infusion.

Since we are sticking with Dumbtoni who thinks the roster is just 7 guys we need to upgrade the quality of the players desperately.

12. basketballholic

Operating under a hard cap and using our exceptions and executing sign- and- trades is the most likely route for us this next season. Especially if we strike out in trades for a superstar.

#32 basketballholic, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want to retain Rivers with the MLE, but if we can't, spend it on Javale or part of it on Rose and Jeff Green if possible. This way we might be able to retain EG too.
    Move Capela/ Clark for a capable SF. No need for Ariza.

A 3 way trade with Capela, EG, Clark and a lottery pick might work with Jimmy Butler to Houston.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It will be really fascinating if the Rockets do this. I always assume Morey would not want to because of how inflexible it makes them. BUT....if it opens up the FULL MLE that could open up some real doors to adding a KEY playoff rotation piece to this team.

JoeBarelyCares and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I would look for a second round low pick like Kyle guy or Jack salt form Virginia

16. basketballholic

I want to retain Rivers too. But if we can't I'm for a sign and trade of jaymychal or outright signing to the MLE if we could get him for that.

17. basketballholic

Think about it. If we can't get Butler or another superstar..... then the next best thing is to add role players on value contracts and trade flexibility. That involves creating TPE's, and using the Full MLE and BAE. Which in turn opens up sign and trades since using the full MLE generates a hard cap anyways.

If we build out thustly and we have I move big TPE at the deadline.... that could be money.

JoeBarelyCares and Deuce like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

MLE is only 8.6M per year Rose and Jeff Green's vet min gives them 3.5M a year.

What I'm saying is Rivers is better than 1 of Rose or Green and you probably can't pay both of them with MLE since their min salary is almost half of MLE. Retaining EG has nothing to do with the MLE you can't combine part of the MLE and capspace.

I dont even know why you want Jeff Green he isnt gonna get PT under Dumbtoni. We can offer shumpert vet min and he probably stays cant imagine anyone else giving him more than vet min.

saleem likes this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

operating under the hard cap is a great great way for tilman to limit the amount of lux tax he'll be on the hook for as well

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Wasn’t Ariza a sign-and-trade acquisition for us in 2014?