1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Kings 10/18/2017

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 18, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG] SWAG

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Except paul didnt play last game

3. don grahamleone

No problem, I'm a fan of what you're doing. The V/Os make it work for me.

Do you ever listen the NBA.com highlights? There's this one guy that yells something at the end of the videos and it's so distorted. If he'd just yell away from the mic it would probably not distort depending on how loud he does it. He also doesn't do anything about "pop P's". Do you edit yours or does your accent prevent them from being a problem? I can't tell honestly because they're just not an issue on your videos thus far.

4. don grahamleone

The Spurs defense last year defended the PnR so well. We had two players both in the corners and the guys defending the corners sagged and committed to guarding the rim when the PnR got to the basket. That's when I think the midrange would have been effective. Harden has an excellent midrange game he could have utilized when they put a lid on the basket. Any adjustment to his pull up jumper would free something else up.

Our problem against the Spurs defense was continually trying to pound a square peg into a hole that went from being square to round after they made this adjustment. Those corner defenders destroyed us. It wasn't glamorous defense by them, but it was highly effective. It reminded me of how Dream and OT used to crash the rim before a shot could go up. It worked on Jordan for years. Jordan's midrange game to me is what made him dominant. He became so much tougher to stop. I wish MDmA would get in Harden's ear about busting up the adjusting defenses. There's no such thing as actually covering up the rim, only hardheaded philosophies that have weaknesses.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I've been meaning to return to game 2 and 3 to see the adjustments from Game 1, when Pops left too many 3s wide open...presumably on purpose. I haven't had the strength to do so.

Without looking, I agree that the help came from both strong side corners and weakside, at differing times. I don't recall Pau playing back, except maybe when help came at Harden from the corner closet to Harden when he drove (strong-side). When help came from weakside, I recall Paul tracking Harden out of ICE defense (or switch) where Harden would race him to the rim...or try to get a pass to that weakside corner. As I recall, that was solid help defense, because Pau is so long, the help bothers Capela on the Oop option because it comes from his side, and that pass by Harden to the corner is tough. His best shot (barring beating Pau to the rim) is to drive all the way through the lane for a baseline pass. I recall him attempting that a lot.

I'm vague on this though. Can't remember what was most common.

D-rock likes this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I agree... it was on purpose... then they would just clamp down on 3's during the second half... then we wouldn't have time to adjust... and we get cold on the threes.... game over.

7. don grahamleone

I think Pau would play the pick wide in the direction Harden was going to slow down the play. That's how the corner defenders had time to crash. I feel like Pau was kind of flat footed as well making it easier to guard a 3 point shot. As the corner defenders came in, they blocked off the corner shooters so the ball would have to go over and the lob to Capela was not an option.

That's why I said Capela should develop a Artis Gilmore like post move. Artis wasn't quick or complicated so I think Clint could master his moves. That would also help break that defensive style. The alleyoop won't always be there, but we kept acting like it would. That was short sighted.

Lobbing the ball to the corner three guys gave the D enough time to get out there and contest. Our three point shooters were going to the corner too soon. Should have started high, messed up the defensive timing, then gone to the corner to change the passing angles. They would have been kicking balls left and right to try to stop that.

I love the PnR but we need more caveats to run closer to perfection. Last year we had tendencies that San Antonio exploited. This year, I have to reset my mind on what we're doing. I have no idea what's going on out there at the moment. Seems like everything is predicated on getting threes this year instead of getting to the basket. Then as soon as I settle in on the thought that we're a three offense, someone drives hard to the basket or gets another lob to Clint.

It's working so far. I have some learnings to do. These new attack angles are weird.

heypartner likes this.
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Not really, it's his second season as a PG so I expect him to improve.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was talking about Game 1 and 4, when Pops let us fly for 53 3s and 49, respectively, to get trounced by that strategy to focus on stopping Harden. There is nothing about clamping down on 3s in those two games.

In Game 5, we had a 5 pt lead with 2:30 left in regulation, and a 2pt lead with 35 seconds, giving up a very simple PnR drive by a 39yr old Ginobody, because Capela couldn't stop him from going left or track him to the rim, like Pau would have. That was not any magic play. The Mills 3 when we were up by 5 also was a simple MDA PnR play run by Kashi and LMA. No magic. The 2 by LMA after that Mills 3 to tie it was again a very basic MDA PnR up top.

imo, Pops didn't out-coach MDA in Game 5. Hell, he ran MDA's playbook to close the 4th. That was an even match and very, very close shot at going up 3 games to 2 headed home.

Don't listen to me, just watch this close of regulation. Pops devolved to using our PnRs. No Magic, just praying he could out-talent us.

That's not homerism, that's a 3-2 advantage, if we just stop a 39yr old Ginobody on the MDA PnR like Gasol would have.

D-rock, banzai and saleem like this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's so ridiculously stupid.

His username is millimetres below where he posts 'SIL'

His username is centimetres to the left of where he posts 'SIL'

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. Voltik

Voltik Member

He needs to develop his rebounding, post defense, block shots, and maybe the three point shot before any post moves. We don’t need him to take post shots as it doesn’t fit with our offense. The pick and roll is just too good with his athleticism and he would be taking away shots and ball from everyone else.

I rather see James or maybe even Chris work the post.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's a term for what SirIvyLeague is doing that's often used in the Styx Forum when kidding around with a certain member of ClutchFans. Posted below:

Doing the DD

(Italics are not required)

If SirIvyLeague wants to Do the DD every time he posts, who are we to complain? If imitation is a form of flattery, surely DD is flattered.

D-rock, SirIvyLeague and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME!

Keep em going!

AlaisterCuaresma likes this.
  14. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

Great job! Didn't know Ali G was a Rockets fan! Keep up the work bruv!

AlaisterCuaresma likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm so upset with this win. We should have won by 30 points minimum.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Yeah @Downtown Sniper @daywalker02 get with it scrubs. Just like how @Pen15clubber does P15.

****ing flattery.

SIL

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Didn't you already learn not to embarrass yourself by calling other posters names?

I thought your hibernation of silence after the little lesson I gave you last time meant you'd changed.

But just like Steph Curry's horrid defense, seems like you're still the same. Get it?

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No, I don't get it.

What are you going to do, report me for calling you a scrub?

Cry me a river.

SIL

19. AlaisterCuaresma

Haha! Safe bruv!!

Rocket River likes this.