1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pistons @ Rockets 12/14/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Can live with the fact that there wasn’t enough help, but on individual effort level at least Harden shouldn’t be slow walking back on defense after getting blocked! For a team leader/captain that’s discouraging. What happened on that move, PG Rose got an offensive rebound and Kennard SG got an easy layup. These 2 were whom Harden was guarding all night. 1:32 left down by 10 is still possible for a comeback.

2. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I'm not even surprised or angry we lost tonight. I'm so used to us losing to below than average teams.

If we finish in the top 4 this season, I'd be shocked. Our inconsistency and the coach is the reason why we're losing to teams we shouldn't be losing to. Saying that, our bench is pretty garbage for the most part, so that also doesn't help. I also hate the fact that people are saying, "oh, but we were 11-14 by this stage last season, so we've improved so much from then." Yeah, our record is better.... but the massive problems still remain. Harden has to carry and the bench players do jack ****.

CK Johnson likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honest question. At this point, after all these years of iso ball, do you think Harden is even open to the idea of off ball movement basketball?

This is a tough question but is this system in place because MDA wants it or because Harden wants it and is used to it and anything out of that system would make him uncomfortable?

4. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I know he should have got back quickly after the block. But he's probably too gassed out to even have the energy to get back. We all knew that game was over. No other player besides Harden was stepping up all night. That's why we need Westbrook and Gordon.

jcmoon and Sajan like this.
  5. pippsux

pippsux Member

Let me ask you something, if he had shutdown rose , would we have won this game?
    Let me answer, no.

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I really think its about time we accept that Harden will likely never be a mentally strong player. Otherwise he would be top 5 all time and you have to be very entitled to expect that from anyone.

I blame literally none of the players for our losses. Good or bad, they are playing exactly as expected. The problems with this team comes from the guys in charge, tilboy, morey and mda.

manlisten likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's not crazy. It's the one thing I absolutely cannot stand about Harden. The body language when things are not going according to plan. The defeat when the refs start to cheat.

I know some of you guys think I'm bagging on Harden, but I'm not. Nobody cares if he fails. No one is going to feel sorry for him. That sh-t should be infuriating to him. He should be trying to take it out on the rim and his opponents..

I agree Chris and Gary needed more minutes. MDA should rest Harden as much as possible and roll with the bench if he is expecting an L because Harden won't be able to preform with tired legs.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. pippsux

pippsux Member

So he is the GM now? Ok buddy.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If only they had the sense to play Hartenstein meaningful minutes.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

That doest mean they were gonna bring us back the lead, Gary was getting out rebounded and couldnt hit a shot. And do you really think a dude who is 5'9 was gonna get us back the lead, was he not getting beat defensively, you really dont think they were gonna take advantage of that. I just dont get why not playing these guys SO much more(gary should get regular rotation minutes though), should be considered negligence.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

James Harden outside of Tilman's son, has the most clout in the entire Rockets organization.

12. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

It would easily work, especially with Harden and Westbrook on the ball. We just don't have the consistent shooters to make it work. House can hit a 3pt shot, but he's pretty inconsistent. Tucker can only hit the the corner shot. Not sure I trust McLemore as a starter. Gordon is probably our best chance at hitting the consistent spot up 3pt shot, but he's out injured.

I wouldn't mind seeing Harden taking more mid-range and fade away shots, but then we're risking taking away hit 3pt makes, which helps us out a lot.... and he's not going to make all his 2pt shots. Also, taking a 2pt attempt would probably eat up more time than a 3pt attempt for Harden if I'm being honest.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How laughable is it that Rose

1. Has an MVP and
    2. Has as many as Harden?

I'm saying this after he played well.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Leg sweep and a later Morris' shoulder charge. Tyson's sick, one of the guys should volunteer as an enforcer. If somebody shoulders James, MDA put an enforcer in and return the message. One thing the Ref fears, is a game out of control on their watch. Go a little chippy (not too far), then Refs will think twice before blowing more momentum killing whistles.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

the negligence is mainly in not playing gary. But clemons was hot that game , he was one of the only guys making shots.

It wouldnt be so bad if the alternative to playing those guys wasnt playing PJ 40 minutes on a B2B. Thats something that you should avoid.

HP3 likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I blame you for the slow motion destruction of ourr society

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I missed the game....how in the world did they lose?

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Me and you both. I crashed and fell asleep.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is infuriating to him, but there is something in his personality that doesn't let him become like Russ. He will never change, thats what makes him such a disrespected player.

He tends to shut down at the most inopportune times and I don't know why. We all know he can be clutch as hell, but he also knows how to be super anti clutch lol. It's weird.

We all been blaming it for years on him not having enough help, but in reality, part of it is the sort of system he wants to have. He is the freaking GOAT iso player, so it is understandable why we have built the system the way it is and hell ill take my chances year in and year out with Harden even through all the bad times he will have. Unfortunately, due to the style of play required in this system, other players can disappear because their primary role in this system is to be a shooter or a trailer to the basket. As much freedom as this offense gives players, it also only limits them to set shots and layups (or lobs). Even though Harden makes everyone one better, because he is that badass, when shots are not going in and the defense packs the paint and denies the pick and roll layups or lobs, then Harden has an even bigger burden to carry and sometimes he folds.

As great as James is and as great as he makes the system work, his style of play can come at a detriment.

We have very little off the ball movement. This is just the byproduct of having the GOAT iso player. You live and die.

#559 ElPigto, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    DreamShook and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

This loss is on MDA regardless. Resting Westbrook tonight made no sense. Did MDA really think Harden was going to bail his ass out with another 50 plus point game, especially when he only played last night?

We're not the Bucks here, where they can afford to rest Giannis against weaker teams. Every game is important until we have the playoff places secured. We need momentum, and we can't get it if we keep losing to weaker teams every 2 or 3 games.