1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers re-sign Patrick Beverley (3 years, $40M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow Bev and Kawhi on defense

vince likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How did you forget about PG13? PG13 took over the game with his defense in games last year.

vince likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And George. And Harrell.

vince and tinman like this.
  4. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

And you got the best 6th man while the lockdown clippers rest. Happy and sick to my stomach at the same time. Anything to screw the Lakers and LeQuit Blames Jordan chasing rings who he believes he's the goat

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Bev is already locked in

D-rock and JW86 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Damn Bev, you couldnt afford a house in Houston for your mom with the contract we gave you?

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  8. Fishman5222

Fishman5222 Member

Harrell can't guard you.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He certainly could guard me.

B-Bob, D-rock and ROXTXIA like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i bet he can't guard me, cus i stand near the halfcourt

B-Bob likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm afraid if he couldn't guard me that he'd be relegated to the farthest reaches of the bench.
    Harrell: "Why? What'd I do?"
    Doc: "Let that 50 year-old white boy score on you."
    Harrell: "But he didn't dunk." (Pat Bev trying to pull Harrell away: "Not worth it, man.") "Did he? Let me go, I'm cool."
    Me: (trash-talking as I make my way past them) "Are you kidding? I haven't dunked since the Reagan administration."

Deckard likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never let this dude near my knee, the closest is Face time.

13. vince

vince Member

The Clippers are the only team, that really seem on another level now. That is going to be the most defensive team on paper top five in NBA history.

I think they may keep opposing offenses in the low 90’s mid 80’s. Talk about an all NBA defensive team with more than adequate offense to boot....

I think the Clippers have to be the favorites, then the Rockets and Golden state. But if Lebron can get winning basketball from Cousins and Davis, they might catapult to the top. It’s going to be a crazy fun season.

D-rock and donkeypunch like this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

have confidence, we believe in you

Deckard likes this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

he calls his mom lady and he tried to hurt our guy Rus on purpose cause he is dirty. so glad we got rid of him

oh who am I kidding, I miss Bev!

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[...]

The Rockets would finally give him a shot in 2013, and he was ready to take someone's spot.

Beverley didn't care that his new teammates in Houston didn't know who he was. He took one look at James Harden and simply saw another human standing across from him. So he did what he does to any human in his way: lock him up. He and Harden squared off every day.

"I really didn't give a f--k. My attitude on the court is the same attitude that I had when I was in the streets," Beverley says. "You're the best player. I'm the best defender. I understand that if he gets the best of me, that helps me; if I get the best of him, that helps him. And it helps the team.

"I never went with the NBA motto of, You play with a star you have to just give in. I'm not like that. I'm gonna be myself. I'm gonna play my game."

He battled Jeremy Lin, too, for the starting spot. Alarcon recalls Beverley telling him that sometimes before drill work, Lin would sit down, rest and take his sneakers off. "Pat started getting pissed," Alarcon says. "He'd run up to [Lin] and say, 'Yo, I can't take your job if you're not suited up and playing.'"

Sometimes assistant coach Dean Cooper would have to tell Beverley to cool out. "He was on full throttle all the time," says Cooper, now with the Bulls. That elevated the team. "Pat will bring the best out of anybody," says Ronnie Brewer, a former Rockets teammate. "Dude forces people to be better."

Beverley didn't end up getting any starts in the regular season as a rookie. But then came the playoffs.

One afternoon, Beverley was driving down the street next to the Toyota Center, on his way home after shootaround, when teammate Chandler Parsons called: "I just talked to [coach Kevin McHale]. He says he's gonna start you tonight! I think you're starting tonight!"

"For real, bro? Don't play with me, bro."

"No, bro, I'm serious. I swear to God."

They laughed a bit and then hung up. Beverley dialed his mom. "What's up, Booda?" Lisa said. Only family members and friends from childhood call Beverley that. (When he was a child, his eyes were so big it looked like someone said boo and scared him, so Lisa's younger sister came up with "Booda.")

Clutching his phone, Beverley couldn't find the words. He broke down crying. He had made it.

Beverley started five of six games in that postseason and all but one game he appeared in the next year. He never quite makes it, though, in his mind. Every day, he thinks he has to make it all over again. He needs some hurdle, something to overcome. So it would make sense that, even after he'd help the Rockets to four playoff berths—including a conference finals berth in 2014-15—as a vocal leader on the team, he saw only more hurdles when he moved into a similar role with the Clippers.

[...]

19. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

Love Bev and like this article, but wasn't he injured during the 2014/15 playoff run? Really wish he'd played against the W's, but can't really get the credit for that one...

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One of my favorite Rockets and maybe Morey's best find.

DD

Jayzers_100 likes this.