1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Classy Organization] Former Texan cheerleaders file wage sex discrimination lawsuit against Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IBTL, Jun 1, 2018.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

They don't provide anything to the football experience...unless you are 10-13 of age boy, of course.

vince and csj like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a history of people who don't provide anything to the football experience suing teams or the league....you had Brett Hartmann, then Colin Kaepernick, now Texans cheerleaders. I guess it's just the way it goes.

3. Buck Turgidson

Kneel and Bob

Nook likes this.
  4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Pretty sure most girls know what they are getting into when they tryout.

I know this because my niece was one of the last girls to get cut this year. She said the team was very clear about the pay, expectations of social media accounts, their "likeness" rights, etc.

The only thing not discussed was the level of harassment they'd have to tolerate from drunken idiots. That of course, is completely unacceptable and there should be a way to prevent or at least curb that behavior in game days at tailgates, for instance.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So it's a HUGE time commitment with little to no financial reward. And there's drunk people constantly harassing you.

Sounds a lot like....................being a musician...........................

Sorry, you get no sympathy from me, ladies.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The worst part for them is even if every single NFL cheerleader quit tomorrow, they wouldn't be missed at all. There are literally tens of thousands of women who would LOVE to take their place even if they knew they'd be paid nothing at all and drunk people would be drunk people. The exposure and the prestige would be enough to have a never ending supply of cheerleaders.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Are you actually arguing that being a cheerleader should be a full-time job?? What reality is this?? Cheerleaders bring nothing of value to the organization in terms of the product on the field. Like others have said, you could replace the Texans Cheerleaders with amateurs out of college, and the experience would literally be the same. And let's not even get into the exposure and accolades they get in their daily lives because of this.

I honestly think cheerleaders don't really have a place in professional sports anymore. Unless you're putting an actual professional dance troupe like the Power Dancers out there, cheerleaders do nothing for the fan experience IMO. Speaking of the Power Dancers, does anyone know if they have the same kind of arrangement with the Rockets as the cheerleaders do with the Texans?

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

3 thoughts on this mater:
    1. ND Kalu on 790 made the point that is often overlooked in this...Majority of these women are either full time students in college or have a 9-5, M-F job...What exactly are these women trying to demonstrate??? Then they used the "McDonald workers get paid more defense..." This was always supposed to be a side gig, and was really to be used as a resume builder...NOT a longterm career pathway.
    2. Secondly, every time these cheerleaders do "promotional activities" for various locations in the city of Houston, they have a lot of security. I wont deny that there are some creeps that stalk these girls, but for that scummy lawyer to suggest that they dont have protection is asinine.
    3. This is the ultimate cry from a collection of attention seeking individuals. If you dont wanna be there, QUIT...I am willing to bet that there wasnt even one of these plaintiffs that actually quit mid-season. This smear campaign is going to blowup on the faces of these women badly and might risk cheerleading for all pro sport teams. Perhaps the Spurs had it right(in their decision to do away with their cheer team next year).

This is yet another thing that SJW will ruin...And these women sought council from Gloria Allred, the epitome of social cancer.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What Trumpers like you don't understand is that Cheerleaders are part of the team's marketing and promotion. There is a reason cheerleaders are on the field: Fan gameday experience. They interact with fans and kept them involved during "dead" time in games.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, so now I'm a "Trumper"? Do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself kiddo?

Ignoring for now your political tantrum, are you seriously trying to argue that cheerleaders are an integral part of the fan gameday experience? LOL what are you, 12? No one seriously cares about cheerleaders, they are more still there for tradition than anything else.....and they are just about the easiest to replace people at the game. I mean, you could replace them without even having to offer pay and there would be no difference in the game day experience at all....it's harder to replace concession employees than it is to replace cheerleaders.

vince and macho GRANDE like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I have 2 comments. I met and took pictures with Texans Cheerleaders at a random bar during st pats, no harassment was seen, as well as Colts cheerleaders at an awesome tailgate event in Indy because I was decked out in Texans gear, again, seemed fine.

Next, if Phyllis Smith could be a cheerleader and still get a job at the most amazing paper company in Pennsylvania, get harassed by her boss, but find and marry the man of her dreams who owns his own refrigerator company then these girls will be fine. In fact, I think Phyllis needs to give a motivation speech.

Newlin likes this.
  13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Cheerleaders do nothing to keep fans involved during "dead" times...they try, i'll give them that, but if you've ever been in the stadium after fans have just watched Brock Osweiler lead yet another three and out, or Brian Hoyer throw his 4th interception, they don't care about the cheerleaders. The fan cams etc. do more of that than cheerleaders.

vince and Bandwagoner like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I am having a hard time deciding if the original article here was an Onion article or not??

Eliminate cheerleaders. Add bathrooms. Everyone's happy.

15. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

8 home games a year... 10-20 events, photoshoots, (sure lots of practice).. Personally I don't care about cheerleaders but it's not a full time job.

If the Texans owe money then they need to pay it, but don't get huffy and puffy about something you agreed to do for cheap. They also build huge personal followings, and shouldn't LEGALLY be allowed to accuse for body shaming considering that NFL Cheerleading is basically PG-13 stripping, It's not like they have a megaphone out there. There is likely a health and body standard that needs to be met just like in the ballet, ain't no professional chubby ballerinas, it's not body shaming it's a job requirement.

It's not like the dude shooting the t-shirt cannon is making the big bucks and he has the best and most exciting job in the stadium.

vince likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I won't go into their motives, but my thought is that it is pretty good job experience that they could leverage into multiple career paths. Sure doesn't seem like an easy thing to, and it probably looks good on a resume. Would be a shame if they banned cheerleaders I think, but any bad behavior needs to be cleaned up.

raining threes likes this.
  17. 713

713 Member

Time for the Texans to bring in Yell Leaders.

vince likes this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

SWMs at it again.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Race baiting fck boy at it again...get a life troll...

And at least when you troll, at least pick the right race...

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So we have the Grid Girls banned from F1 for being too sexist. Umbrella girls from MotoGP are soon to be gone. Spurs dancers are out.

Is this 1950's puritan values making some sort of weird comeback in the era of the Amber Rose Slutwalk? Every TV show now has full frontal but hot pants are evil?

Even in the 1950's Miss USA was allowed to be in a swimsuit, but these days that's gone. WTF?